Remove this Banner Ad

deano the hawka

All Australian
Sep 29, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Exeter City, Tottenham, Utrecht
After reading the article on the AFL website about Hawthorn's next captain, I'd like to see who everyone thinks it'll be. In the article, Hodgey said that he thinks Liam Shiels is the next captain, because he said he wants to play for a few more years. He also said that Isaac Smith and Cyril Rioli both have great leadership qualities, but honestly I can't see Cyril becoming captain because he's too quiet and I honestly don't think he shows good leadership on the field during games.

Here's the article anyways: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-16/the-next-hawks-skipper

I could see Shiels as the next Hawthorn captain, but he would need to cement his spot in the 22 first.

Anyways, thoughts?

Hodge is right in that if he sticks around for a few more years it won't be Lewis.

The two options I see are Shiels & Whitecross, both fit the age bracket and both have, from my understanding, excellent leadership traits.

Langford or litherland

Both have great on field presence, both young, both leaders off field, and both have done their time in our "system," and made to earn heir spots

Langford or litherland

Both have great on field presence, both young, both leaders off field, and both have done their time in our "system," and made to earn heir spots

With about 10 games experience between them.
Perhaps we should see if they can become regular senior players first?

I don't see any any reason to overlook Burchall, Suckling or Hill but for the symbolism I like Rioli as first indigenous Hawthorn captain.

I hope Lewis gets a crack at the Captaincy.

I think that his game would go to another level as captain. He would thrive with the leadership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis would be a brilliant captain. Everytime he has filled in he has led with courage, and plenty of talk on the field too!

However, if Hodgey plays on for a couple of seasons then Shiels would make a great captain. I remember Pelchen commenting on his leadership abilities not long after he was drafted. Btw, if Big Boy gets over his injuries and earns his place in the team, then he could be a 'smokie'!

Also, I am sooo glad the Hawks have not gone down the 'co-captain' road...i think it just it diminishes the importance of the role!

When I was at the GWS game a few weeks ago there were some periods of time when the players could easily be heard shouting and communicating with each other. The thing that struck me most was apart from Hodge giving orders at stoppages, Isaac Smith was the other player who was very vocal and organizing players. Maybe this was just a one off game or maybe he is someone the club sees as a future leader...

When I was at the GWS game a few weeks ago there were some periods of time when the players could easily be heard shouting and communicating with each other. The thing that struck me most was apart from Hodge giving orders at stoppages, Isaac Smith was the other player who was very vocal and organizing players. Maybe this was just a one off game or maybe he is someone the club sees as a future leader...

One of the recent debutantes (can't remember which one) commented that it's not too hard coming into the team because so many of the other players help you out with where to go and what to do so you have plenty of support out there. A disorganised rabble we are not ;)

One of the recent debutantes (can't remember which one) commented that it's not too hard coming into the team because so many of the other players help you out with where to go and what to do so you have plenty of support out there. A disorganised rabble we are not ;)

Exactly! Which is why we are such a successful club. Something so simple but so vital to the success of any sporting club.

Just seamed to me that Isaac was more vocal than others, but as I said, could have just been a passionate day for him...

Exactly! Which is why we are such a successful club. Something so simple but so vital to the success of any sporting club.

Just seamed to me that Isaac was more vocal than others, but as I said, could have just been a passionate day for him...

Yes, you could be right. He's an experienced player now and he's a cluey bloke.

Shiels, Whitecross or Stratton.

I went to an event with Stuart Fox and he named those three as the ones who were considered likely assuming Hodge went on for another two or three years. He also said that if Max Bailey had been able to keep playing he would have been head and shoulders above anyone else to be the next captain.

i'd like Birchall as captain, i'd go to war with Birchall and thats a good sign that they deserve to be captain.........but they will probably go with Shiels if Hodge is captain for the next 2-3 yrs......IF

Anderson is a smokie depending on how long Hodge holds onto it.

I believe he was the NT state captain. Tough, well spoken, doesn't give up and leads by example. Exactly the kind of qualities you want and need.

I don't see a young captain as a bad thing if they have the qualities to do the job. Selwood has done well as a young captain with the support of older, wiser heads around.

We certainly have a lot of options which is nice.

I Hodge stood down today (for whatever reason), Lewis would be captain. In 2 years time, it's Smith or Whitecross, perhaps Stratton and later Langford may come into consideration depends on how later is later? And I doubt Shiels would even want the position.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back