Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Watts still leaves a bit to be desired but definitely has improved his off the ball work (Defensively and also off the ball running)

And Watts realises that he still needs to improve workrate.

He also said Roos and midfield coach George Stone had worked on rectifying his moments of reduced intensity on the field with more frequent rotations.

"When I have those moments out on the ground, they're so obvious that's where I get myself into trouble," he said.

"I think a lot of that happens when I'm stuffed because in an AFL game you get pretty tired at times.

"The last couple of weeks, I've been working on coming to the bench a bit more.

"Initially I was coming to the bench once or twice per game.

"In the last four weeks, the average has been seven or eight rotations, which has really helped me because I am a bit more of a burst player in terms of endurance wise.

"As long as I get those really obvious poor moments out of my game, then you don't put yourself up for that criticism so that's the main thing we're working on."

Watts said he felt like the perception he didn't work hard enough on the field was magnified in a frequently unsuccessful team.

However, he said he believed he was getting better at working harder for longer.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-02/were-ready-for-pies-watts

Roos and co are having to undo three years of slack teaching under Bailey and two confidence sapping years under Neeld. For some the improvement is rapid, for others like Watts it is a more gradual education, but the improvement is there and the message is sinking in. Roos and his crew have found the balance of encouragement and forgiveness but demanding high standards and the players are reaping the rewards.

And Watts realises that he still needs to improve workrate.

Roos and co are having to undo three years of slack teaching under Bailey and two confidence sapping years under Neeld. For some the improvement is rapid, for others like Watts it is a more gradual education, but the improvement is there and the message is sinking in. Roos and his crew have found the balance of encouragement and forgiveness but demanding high standards and the players are reaping the rewards.
Roosy will love Jack Trengove, he's always done all the team things, even to the point of excess sometime. If they can get his body right and teach him to play a role which actually involves being a bit selfish he'll be fine.

Roosy will love Jack Trengove, he's always done all the team things, even to the point of excess sometime. If they can get his body right and teach him to play a role which actually involves being a bit selfish he'll be fine.
He has to start penetrating with his kicks again, however.

If there was a good club environment the young guys wouldn't need to be retained, I'm not saying Vossy is at fault - just that he was part of a dysfunctional club and therefore I wouldn't want him at ours.

You can never know what really happened behind closed doors, I'm sure the board could tell a different story to what happened.
Vossy talks exceptionally well on SEN both tactically and from a player relationship management point of view. He speaks often and intelligently about how important it is to recognise that every player is different and that different guys need different approaches etc.

Obviously I am only judging from how he talks on the radio, but I don't think there is any need to worry about a Neeld-style breakdown in player-coach trust with Vossy.

Vossy talks exceptionally well on SEN both tactically and from a player relationship management point of view. He speaks often and intelligently about how important it is to recognise that every player is different and that different guys need different approaches etc.

Obviously I am only judging from how he talks on the radio, but I don't think there is any need to worry about a Neeld-style breakdown in player-coach trust with Vossy.

I know that coaches and captains are different but Vossy was the captain of possibly the biggest and toughest men ever if not the modern era atleast

This is a guy who commanded respect from the Scott Brothers, Lynch, Brown, Black, Hart, Lappin, Leppitsch, Pyke, Michael etc

Vossy would make a great replacement

The issue with Voss at Brisbane was two fold. First was that the senior gig was his first coaching job. Hadn't done anything more than AIS before that. Brisbane didn't want to miss out on a legend - funnily enough that is why they sacked him too. Secondly though was that he was chasing his mistakes from his early years. Tactically he was superb and getting heaps out of a shitty list.

I would like it. Two years learning from Roosy in addition to his previous experience and he would be a damn good coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brendon Bolton anyone? Very highly rated and respected at Hawthorn (and the wider footy world), has a calm, teacher mentality and is now getting a chance to experience life in the top job until Clarko comes back. Could be one worth considering.

Brendon Bolton anyone? Very highly rated and respected at Hawthorn (and the wider footy world), has a calm, teacher mentality and is now getting a chance to experience life in the top job until Clarko comes back. Could be one worth considering.

Too happy for mine

I know it may seem harsh, but I'd definitely prefer someone who has played at the elite level - he's probably a great assistant, but you don't find many (if any) good senior coaches who haven't played AFL footy.

I know it may seem harsh, but I'd definitely prefer someone who has played at the elite level - he's probably a great assistant, but you don't find many (if any) good senior coaches who haven't played AFL footy.

I think there is that instand respect when you talk to a Voss or a Buckley because when they tell you what worked for them you can go well this guy was a champion

Has Roos changed his mind about his limited tenure given this progress? “I’m really enjoying it and I probably have more of an attachment to the club than I felt I would have, which is good. But the fact that there’s some sort of end point probably makes it a bit easier to do what I’m doing. Sometimes an endless position can seem, ‘Where are we heading and what am I doing’ and all those sorts of things.”
http://www.theweeklyreview.com.au/well-read/cover-story/9246-the-demon-inside/#.U6FJHJSSzAk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back