Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

You will find that talks between Ling and Melbourne are more advanced that what most people are aware of.
Roos will commit to his 3 rd year and will have Ling as his senior assistant.
Ling wants. 2 years under Roos before he takes over and let's face it Melbourne in 2 years will be in the 8 if they keep improving the way they are.
Ling met melbourne during the first week of this month that I no was it his first meeting NO.

Ling wants. 2 years under Roos before he takes over and let's face it Melbourne in 2 years will be in the 8 if they keep improving the way they are.
This is far from the certainty you think it is. Making finals is tough, just look at North and Richmond and Essendon in recent years. Even when you are a good side there are so many variables that need to go right in order to make the eight.

This is far from the certainty you think it is. Making finals is tough, just look at North and Richmond and Essendon in recent years. Even when you are a good side there are so many variables that need to go right in order to make the eight.
Lol, yeah - we still need to crack the 5 game barrier before we start talking about finals... I was looking at Melbourne's history since we last made the finals and was actually really surprised that we had two seasons 2010 and 2011 where we won 8 games. I'd blocked that out somehow amidst the general misery of our recent past. Now 8 games actually sounds like a great year - we'd kill for an 8 win season, Guess Dean Bailey was better than we thought.

Lol, yeah - we still need to crack the 5 game barrier before we start talking about finals... I was looking at Melbourne's history since we last made the finals and was actually really surprised that we had two seasons 2010 and 2011 where we won 8 games. I'd blocked that out somehow amidst the general misery of our recent past. Now 8 games actually sounds like a great year - we'd kill for an 8 win season, Guess Dean Bailey was better than we thought.

2010 was an exciting year full of improvement, 2011 was deceptive - 2 of those wins were against GC in their first year, so reality is probably a 6 win year and it was full of going backwards. Included 186.

You will find that talks between Ling and Melbourne are more advanced that what most people are aware of.
Ling met melbourne during the first week of this month that I no was it his first meeting NO.

If I'm not mistaken, you've had some fairly good mail in the past regarding our coaching situation. Would you happen to be aware of any other candidates at this stage?

4 wins v Carlton, Essendon, Richmond and Adelaide in Adelaide > 8.5 wins v interstate sides at the MCG. 2010 wasn't a bad year though, we had a few (4 or 5?) losses decided by less than 2 kicks.

2010 was the best year of a bad crop, the improvement in 2010 was great. Not to mention those 2 close games against the pies. This year I feel (despite recent form) has been an improvement. Those two losses to the doggies, probably could of beaten gc if it weren't for that horrible 2nd quarter and getting umpired out of the mach. Then there is the fact we copped the saints in round 1 when the team hadn't gelled yet and we had no forward line. Easily could of had an extra 2 wins this year. Plus no losses over 100 which isn't a great stat but compared to the basket case of the neeld era, it's a good thing.

2010 was the best year of a bad crop, the improvement in 2010 was great. Not to mention those 2 close games against the pies. This year I feel (despite recent form) has been an improvement. Those two losses to the doggies, probably could of beaten gc if it weren't for that horrible 2nd quarter and getting umpired out of the mach. Then there is the fact we copped the saints in round 1 when the team hadn't gelled yet and we had no forward line. Easily could of had an extra 2 wins this year. Plus no losses over 100 which isn't a great stat but compared to the basket case of the neeld era, it's a good thing.
It's definitely been a good season so far but it seems the edges are starting to fray badly. Since the QB game we've been rubbish, excluding a combined half/3 quarters of footy against the Bombers and the Dogs. Hopefully after the 2nd bye week the team is a bit more refreshed, because I really don't want the good early season work to be undone by an ordinary second half of a year where we play 'let's-not-lose-by-as-much' type footy as opposed to 'let's-try-and-win' footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't realise Ling was in the market for a new caravan? :)

Rumour I've heard here in the west is that Brett Kirk may be moving across to your club to work under roost next year with a view to transitioning into the senior role.

Kirk is a more likely candidate than Ling imo. Kirk actually has some match-day coaching experience. Expecting Hayes to fill that role for freo if Kirk leaves.

Kirk is a more likely candidate than Ling imo. Kirk actually has some match-day coaching experience. Expecting Hayes to fill that role for freo if Kirk leaves.
Yep Lenny makes sense for freo. Kirk now knows how Roos and Lyon operates and would transition into Melbourne very well I'd expect. Sad to see him leave Freon but it's inevitable really that he'll seek opportunities elsewhere. Inspirational fellow too. Not hugely talented but got the best out of himself for years on end.

Would rather Kirk than Ling, and I'd love it if we could get Hayes involved (midfield coach, player development, whatever).

Then again, I'm not sold on either of those two. Nick Maxwell anyone?

Might become the heir apparent by default if Ling, Hayes, Kirk, that main man Maxwell, etc turn us down.

Nah I actually think Maxwell could be an okay coach/mentor. May slot into a defensive coaching role nicely.

Speaking of, what's the go with Rawlings? He's been with us for ages now. Any chance of the top job?
Might not want it.

From my information it is out of 4 with Ling clearly the most wanted by our clubs management. One thing I must say is Peter Jackson is an absolute professional who has done so much behind the scenes when we rise he needs a fair bit of credit.
The really only thing I am certain of is that Roos will coach his 3rd year he has already assured the people who need to know.
Brett Kirk would obviously be an amazing asset for our club but I have not heard his name linked to any specific job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back