Opinion Are you happy to have a new coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

our midfield and forward play looks far inferior to previous years. numerous players have regressed.

we are yet to have ONE inspiring win under simpson so far.

GWS knocked off sydney... even the Lions knocked off North. Who have we beaten this year?

how long until our unproven coach comes under serious scrutiny?

Is that you Suma? Mate, we're sorry we couldn't make it happen. Better luck next time.

our midfield and forward play looks far inferior to previous years. numerous players have regressed.

we are yet to have ONE inspiring win under simpson so far.

GWS knocked off sydney... even the Lions knocked off North. Who have we beaten this year?

how long until our unproven coach comes under serious scrutiny?
Chances are we will go a second successive year without beating a finallist.

Ideally we need to remove the following players from our list to improve.

Masten, Priddis, Sheppard, Selwood, Schofield, Cripps, Hill, Hutchings,

All the above players would never be apart of any afl premiership team. They all lack skills, composure, strength, decision making etc. You could make a case for Schofield I guess.

Then you have Glass retired, Cox and butler on there last legs, Waters in doubt.

Simmo has been given a bunch of crabs that cant play and a couple of old fellas ready to hang the boots up, just so happens that this group make up half the team.

the playing group as a whole seems to have lost all belief in themselves. simpson is not getting the best out of his players.

so many guys who looked like emerging A-graders have gone backwards significantly (ie. shuey, naitanui, gaff, selwood, masten, darling)

they look to have no faith in the game plan and therefore aren't playing for the coach. same thing happened to mark kneeld's group. it's easy to blame the players but if they don't have strong, respected leader... it just won't click.

the playing group as a whole seems to have lost all belief in themselves. simpson is not getting the best out of his players.

so many guys who looked like emerging A-graders have gone backwards significantly (ie. shuey, naitanui, gaff, selwood, masten, darling)

they look to have no faith in the game plan and therefore aren't playing for the coach. same thing happened to mark kneeld's group. it's easy to blame the players but if they don't have strong, respected leader... it just won't click.

Who actually things Shuey, Darling, Gaff are going backwards? I don't.

Naitanui and Selwood both have injury issues that wont be resolved during this year and then you can get to the obvious success stories that the laymen can see such as McGovern, Yeo, Sheppard, Bennell and Brown.

It really doesn't matter if your coach extracts 100% of your players talent if you don't have both the talent and the game plan to challenge for a premiership, if you want a look at such a scenario then look at 2011.

This confidence issue comes to the forefront of peoples minds because they can't see what's happening behind the scenes or know what is being said too and between the players.

are they going backwards? that's subjective.

have they gone backwards since simspon took over? absolutely yes, their performances and stats indicate that they have.

Which stats are you looking at?

Gaff's averaging more possessions, marks, goals and tackles than he did in 2013.

Darling's averaging more possessions, marks and tackles. He's got less goals but that's likely due to spending more time in the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

are they going backwards? that's subjective.

have they gone backwards since simspon took over? absolutely yes, their performances and stats indicate that they have.
The way I see it without ever looking at a stat:

darling is working much harder in the mid and this impacts through fatigue - he will develop
Gaff is developing well - harder, disposal is excellent and works on his role better than most for 100 minutes
Shuey is carrying something - is getting better at breaking a defensive opponent

I like Simmo.

First two games of the year the boys thrashed two bottom six teams, and at times took the foot off the pedal, when they could've really hurt the opponent.

Round three we were exposed and just got over the line against St.Kilda who are now stone motherless last.

Round four we got our asses kicked against Geelong, kicking no goals after 1/4 time.

At this point I think he should've been tougher and dropped the "young" players continually referred to by the club who's position didn't warrant selection, namely Gaff and Masten.

This would've sent a rocket up them, and maybe, just maybe got the boys to do some self-reflection and find what's been missing from them in recent time.

Gaff will become a great player, Masten I'm not sure will ever become more than just an accumulator.

Every-time Simmo sighs I can feel the inner pain and I can just imagine what he is thinking: "how the **** did this midfield get this bad?"

To answer the question, all he has to do is look in the mirror. Last year we were 4th in clearances, this year we are 15th - with the same players. I know Brady Rawlings is a 1st year midfield coach but our structures have completely fallen away. Its an area that needs boosting in the offseason.

To answer the question, all he has to do is look in the mirror. Last year we were 4th in clearances, this year we are 15th - with the same players. I know Brady Rawlings is a 1st year midfield coach but our structures have completely fallen away. Its an area that needs boosting in the offseason.

Isn't Pyke our stoppages coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back