Opinion Are you happy to have a new coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Has anyone stop to think that Simmo still has the same spuds running around in the midfield than last year?

Not smart footballers, not hard at the contest, not willing to work hard for the team etc, etc, etc

It's not Simmo's fault that he inherited a bunch on campaigners

from memory, ken judge's first season at the eagles was much more impressive that what simpson has been able to deliver so far. still, it seems highly likely that simspon will have a similar standing to judge in our record book when people look back 20 years from now.

it's interesting that those defending simpson's inept performance thus far as generally blaming the state our list. yet that list was widely seen as flag favourite at the start of last year and there have been very few changes (exept for kerr's departure).

interesting how a coach who is out of his depth can make a list look much, much worse than it is.

I think he is doing fine as a first year coach with an average list. Look at St Kilda and Western Bulldogs, new coaches took over teams with very average lists and have gone no where, same can be said for Melb, an outstanding coach but an ordinary list and the are still at the bottom and still will be unless they draft or trade more good players, Roos cant make miracles happen and neither can Simpson. Yes Melb have improved, but only by 1 or 2 win games.

Our problem is our most influential player is injured (Nic Nat) and unfit, needs a pre season. Our midfield is soft, Masten, Gaff, Shuey Wellingham all get pushed off the ball so easily it looks like its always 3 v 1 once one of our players get to the ball, and we have no depth.

Simpson has gotten the best out of players that we wanted to get rid of under woosha (Sheppard, McGinninty, Bennell, Lycett, McGovern, Brown)

Now Simpson is no idiot, and make no mistake there will be a some list changes for next year, and mostly around the midfield.

We need to secure two first round draft picks for next years draft. Draft a top Mid with our first pick, grab Waterman with the second round and lure a decent mid with our second first round pick. I have a feeling Gaff will be going home and Masten could be used as bait so maybe could secure something.

We can rookie draft another ruckman for back up of Lycett and Nic Nat (cox and Sinclair ill be gone I think trading Sinclair with gaff as a package to Melb might be on the cards)

I think Simpson has shown he can think on his feet, he has made some mistakes but its his first year. Ken Hinkley would be in the same position f he was our coach, we just don't have the cattle, Worsfold and co drafted Athletes, we need to now draft Footballers

Simmo made several great points in his presser after the swans game, one was a +ve our spirited endeavour the other was a -ve our work rate. a very astute observation. I wonder how many players don't now how to work the right way (regardless of effort) can be taught to do so and how many will go. He clearly made the point that the list will change.
In one of his first interviews when joining the club - he said he wanted to find out what football intelligence our players have. I suspect he now knows many don't have much.
He clearly thinks well on his feet and is measured in what he says.

I look forward to him guiding our rebuild.

from memory, ken judge's first season at the eagles was much more impressive that what simpson has been able to deliver so far. still, it seems highly likely that simspon will have a similar standing to judge in our record book when people look back 20 years from now.

Yeah, nah. 13th place finish (i.e. 4th-bottom) with 7.5 wins from 22 games, and five losses in excess of 60 points.

Against current 11th place (8th from bottom), 6 wins from 15 games, one loss in excess of 60 points.

it's interesting that those defending simpson's inept performance thus far as generally blaming the state our list. yet that list was widely seen as flag favourite at the start of last year and there have been very few changes (exept for kerr's departure).

interesting how a coach who is out of his depth can make a list look much, much worse than it is.
Are you even a supporter? All you seem to do is whinge, whine and attack the club with very little to no positive comments. What a horrible existence.

Last edited:
15 games in I am not seeing much difference to worsfold other than a few slight positional changes every now and then.

Seems a bit better on game day.
Still playing the spuds though.

Ho him we have a new coach?

15 games in I am not seeing much difference to worsfold other than a few slight positional changes every now and then.

Seems a bit better on game day.
Still playing the spuds though.

Ho him we have a new coach?

Considering he has to field 22 players on game day it's a bit hard not to field spuds when most of our list is made of potato.

Considering he has to field 22 players on game day it's a bit hard not to field spuds when most of our list is made of potato.
True. Good point.
But he could try some kids for a few games.
Like sheed and Tunbridge.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still happy with Simpson. He's made some small noticeable changes and he has played some younger players. But I am hoping he takes a clear direction at the end of this year and we stop treading water.

True. Good point.
But he could try some kids for a few games.
Like sheed and Tunbridge.

Maybe he just wants to confirm for himself that the spuds are in fact spuds? Not sure how much he would have seen of Brennan and McGinnity, for example.

For me this year was always more about assessing the list and seeing who could adapt to a new game plan and coaches' direction. I personally wasn't too fussed about getting into the 8, in fact I'm almost happier to have a mediocre year to see the true state of the list and what areas need improvement. I liked from the start, even in our first 2 massive wins, that Simpson still didn't seem particularly happy with the way we played; large lapses in concentration, skill errors, letting the opponent string goals together. Worsfold seemed to accept (publicly anyway) bigs wins as indication that everything's going well whereas Simpson still seemed to have reservations and didn't get caught up in the big margins. Time has proven him correct and I'll reserve judgement until I see what he does over the off-season.

Maybe he just wants to confirm for himself that the spuds are in fact spuds? Not sure how much he would have seen of Brennan and McGinnity, for example.

Yeah agree with that. We have all seen plenty of them, but as an "outsider" coming in, there are plenty on our list he would never have seen play, or pay attention to if they did play a few games. Everyone want's massive list changes, yet gets all up in arms when he starts to play some of these guys he hasn't seen before. We can't expect him to come and just start sacking everyone our list without giving them a chance, hopefully a few are on their last chances.

I'm still holding of Judging him for at least another year, let's see what he can do in trade period, and after another pre season to get his plans into action.

Yeah agree with that. We have all seen plenty of them, but as an "outsider" coming in, there are plenty on our list he would never have seen play, or pay attention to if they did play a few games. Everyone want's massive list changes, yet gets all up in arms when he starts to play some of these guys he hasn't seen before. We can't expect him to come and just start sacking everyone our list without giving them a chance, hopefully a few are on their last chances.

I'm still holding of Judging him for at least another year, let's see what he can do in trade period, and after another pre season to get his plans into action.
Yes.
I think he will see out the year just watching and trying a few new things.
He needs to know what he has to work with, what roles he can use players in and what weaknesses he can turn into strengths. There have been positives already with players that some posters were happy to move on last year.
Sheppherd, McGovern, Bennell and Brown weren't everybody's favorite players last season. There will be others that he believes he can turn into regular contributors.
It would be very unfair not to give him that time.

I think we will see a different Simmo next year and again the year after. ATM he seems very fresh, witty and intelligent. As he stamps his influence on the team in the next 24 months and actually demands wins week in week out we will see the real Adam Simpson.

Right now he sitting back looking at what stock he has and planning for next year. He needs a big off season and he knows it. Hes got 24 months to prove he has a future as a senior coach so look to him to dig deep into his bag of tricks.

For me this year was always more about assessing the list and seeing who could adapt to a new game plan and coaches' direction. I personally wasn't too fussed about getting into the 8, in fact I'm almost happier to have a mediocre year to see the true state of the list and what areas need improvement. I liked from the start, even in our first 2 massive wins, that Simpson still didn't seem particularly happy with the way we played; large lapses in concentration, skill errors, letting the opponent string goals together. Worsfold seemed to accept (publicly anyway) bigs wins as indication that everything's going well whereas Simpson still seemed to have reservations and didn't get caught up in the big margins. Time has proven him correct and I'll reserve judgement until I see what he does over the off-season.
good post, saves me typing it.
I particularly liked this from Simmo's presser "there's areas of our game and personnel we've gotta look at no doubt cos we're in the business of winning"
I'm looking forward to seeing how hard he swings the axe to be honest, it needs to be done.

"He's fallen away in a few areas..."

And the likes of Masten, Kennedy etc haven't? Still annoyed.

No doubt thorne, no doubt. Perhaps the thing that he's not saying is the attitude that goes along with it. I was as surprised as you by the choice (and indeed, Brennan didn't really get the coach's back on Sunday on that front) - but Bennell does play very loose at times. If that's matched with a nonchalant attitude to coaching instructions, then I say punt him back to the 2s.

When Hickmott was interviewed 3 weeks ago and Bennell came up and he said he had a few things to work on so maybe in those 3 weeks since has hadn't listened and hence he was dropped? I think the fact is we have a lot more depth in the backline and we can get away with sending Bennell back to the WAFL to fix a few parts of his game. JK i is just having a bad year and is not the reason we are losing but the midfield we have poor depth with all the injuries we have had hence we have not been able to send back Masten to the WAFL. Wellingham has been dropped twice so it is not just limited to Bennell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back