Opinion Swans Talk in the Football Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Richard,

"Never mind that, despite some hastily constructed pie charts, the Swans quite blatantly exploited the 9.5 per cent cost of living allowance in their salary cap to sign Lance “Buddy” Franklin to a nine-year, $10 million deal".

"The Swans fear that if/when they win the premiership, their rivals will attach an asterisk: *The Swans paid 9.5 per cent more for this flag than the recommended retail price."

9.5? Didn't even get that bit right. :rolleyes:

Honestly he nailed it on the fear thing. I still wake up screaming thinking about 2012. That whole COLa thing just ruined it for me. :drunk:

Hinds really is pretty awful. :thumbsdown:

Not the Swans specifically but this is the sort of ignorance we have to deal with in Sydney sometimes

Malthouse storms out of press conference after Carlton’s best win of the year over Port Melbourne
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ma...r-port-melbourne/story-fndv7pj3-1226994363707

More sterling work from Hinds at News?

They are a "blood in the water" publication. Pack of sharks. Mick is currently bleeding. So was Buddy at the beginning of the year. Etc. Etc. But the attack dogs (certainly the by-line editors) often are based outside of Victoria and know nothing about the code.

Entertaining to see them failing though.

His assertion is based exclusively on the Swans' actively cheating and using the COLA in a way that controvenes the rules (by assigning one or more players more than they are supposed to be given as part of the 9.8%) and, by extension, the AFL being complicit in allowing the club to do it by accepting the contracts. The AFL has to tick off on every contract of course.

It'd be lovely for a writer who genuinely believes that the club has rorted the salary cap to take it to the next level and specifically incriminate the AFL for not reviewing our salary cap properly. Richard Hinds had the perfect opportunity to do it in that article but didn't.

You can argue if the COLA should exist or not, that is perfectly acceptable and a reasonable discussion to have imo. But arguing that we're rorting the cap by using it as we've been told to is just idiotic and conspiracy-seeking.

Last edited:
Exactly, S120.

The narrative of Sydney as "cheats" is pretty disgusting. But no one - least of all the AFL who could have on multiple occasions - seems to challenge this assertion.

In fact Colless specifically requested the AFL step in and make a statement in 2013 about how the COLa was applied. They simply refused. Why? Because it would impede the equalisation plans they had a afoot. It actually suited their purposes to have us become pariahs.

Pretty distasteful stuff really.

Had an interesting Twiiter convo with Hinds, and well let's say while he replied, he was caught out in a few areas and gave one or two extraordinarily poor examples of Swans "abusing"salary cap,
1) I asked whether he had actually spoken to the Swans regarding their list mgt or as usual was his article based on hear say and guess work - his response, what other examples of hear say can I provide him, well your non answer is a start Richard.
2) I then have eg, of how Betts on around $650+ & Thomas on $700+ demonstrates we are not paying overs for key position players,- & that too aknowledge we cleared around $2.1mill in cap space, - he responded that we cleared this space for two players.... Ummm NO Rich, Tipp/Bud not on a $1 mill each, we also re-signed JPK,Hanners,Parker ect, again you are wrong
3) here's the kicker, well Cats lost Ablett (mmmk) & Swans made massive offer for Mummy - Richard are you aware we lost a premier ruckman in Jolly who came home to Vic in this transaction? Where did he end up again? Oh and Cats could have kept Mummy but chose Blake, again you are wrong.
I then advised that choosing the Cats was a poor example as they won 3 flags with cheap father son selections, and you don't see the hypocrisy here?
And that was that he didn't want to continue, I bid him a good day & thanks for the convo, but also reminded him that long term South fans know our history and will challange any1 who attempts to re-write it!
In the end, hear say,guess work & lazy is my summation, disregard the article, no integrity to be seen here.
Thanks for reading & have a nice day

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah Hinds is a melbourne boy and a massive Pies fan. Somehow wrangled a job writing about Sydney sport from Melbourne. Not sure how he managed that, and it seems like the sort of thing he'd be self-righteous about if another journo did it.

I didn't use to mind his stuff, but the past few years he's just turned into a curmudgeonly, predictable old prick. Boring teenaged cynicism and easy sarcasm, and can't seem to find the fun in an industry (and job) that is meaningless fluff, at the end of the day.

Had an interesting Twiiter convo with Hinds, and well let's say while he replied, he was caught out in a few areas and gave one or two extraordinarily poor examples of Swans "abusing"salary cap,
1) I asked whether he had actually spoken to the Swans regarding their list mgt or as usual was his article based on hear say and guess work - his response, what other examples of hear say can I provide him, well your non answer is a start Richard.
2) I then have eg, of how Betts on around $650+ & Thomas on $700+ demonstrates we are not paying overs for key position players,- & that too aknowledge we cleared around $2.1mill in cap space, - he responded that we cleared this space for two players.... Ummm NO Rich, Tipp/Bud not on a $1 mill each, we also re-signed JPK,Hanners,Parker ect, again you are wrong
3) here's the kicker, well Cats lost Ablett (mmmk) & Swans made massive offer for Mummy - Richard are you aware we lost a premier ruckman in Jolly who came home to Vic in this transaction? Where did he end up again? Oh and Cats could have kept Mummy but chose Blake, again you are wrong.
I then advised that choosing the Cats was a poor example as they won 3 flags with cheap father son selections, and you don't see the hypocrisy here?
And that was that he didn't want to continue, I bid him a good day & thanks for the convo, but also reminded him that long term South fans know our history and will challange any1 who attempts to re-write it!
In the end, hear say,guess work & lazy is my summation, disregard the article, no integrity to be seen here.

I've never looked at his Twitter before. Ye Gods.

Really hates the Swans. Never noticed that before. But wow. Just wow.

FWIW I'll cop the "COLA kids" burn he actually just tarred us all with on Twitter. I'll take that over "incompetent hack" any day. And at least in 2017 we'll be COLa free. Will he cease being a hack? Methinks not so much. :p

Last edited:

good to see he avoided the questions like a smug prick

Eddie on Fox , Buddy should be playing for a team like the Saints and not the Swans

Translated: Buddy should be playing for a side that isn't knocking my side out of the 8.

And excuse me but didn't Collingwood target:

Lockett, Brown, and Riewoldt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back