Why the Smart hate?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Im kinda ok about Smart, yet alot arnt. I understand the State jumper thing, but other than that whats he done wrong. One thing we have been screaming out for is someone in our Admin to stand up for our club. Someone to go hard on our behalf. Smart does that. I loved his "i dont care what Poort think" line. I also dont care what Poort think. He was standing up for us to get the first game at AO when Chapman was saying he didnt care if Poort got it. We need a militant person who can stand up and take it to the AFL. He was apparently awesome in tribunal hearings, where he would turn the match review guys in knots.
So why the Smart hate?

Im kinda ok about Smart, yet alot arnt. I understand the State jumper thing, but other than that whats he done wrong. One thing we have been screaming out for is someone in our Admin to stand up for our club. Someone to go hard on our behalf. Smart does that. I loved his "i dont care what Poort think" line. I also dont care what Poort think. He was standing up for us to get the first game at AO when Chapman was saying he didnt care if Poort got it. We need a militant person who can stand up and take it to the AFL. He was apparently awesome in tribunal hearings, where he would turn the match review guys in knots.
So why the Smart hate?

Don't think it's anything other than just the association with the current admin.

So why the Smart hate?
I'm not sure all of it is personal.

I think much of it is more about what he represents ie. jobs for the boys.

He may well be good at what he does, but I doubt he will ever shake that tag

Beat me to it. I think he's tarred with current administration brush and he always will be.

If there was ever a time for an outside appointment it's now.

So why the Smart hate?

Look, I'm sure he'd always have the best interests of the club at heart and all that jazz, but nothing really compensates for his personality.

He's a complete knob of a bloke. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Everything else becomes secondary when you're dealing with someone who makes you squirm wth every cringeworthy arrogant syllable that comes out of their mouth.

So why the Smart hate?

I don't get that either.
We get people always saying we want someone that doesn't take s**t from people, is hard-nosed and only cares about AFC.
Smart says "I don't care" about what Port thinks and instead of rallying around him our supporters knife him publicly.

Why should he care what Port think FFS?
Who cares if he looks smug? Can he do the job?

I'm not sure he is ready for CEO and that is the key. Not "promoted internally", not "he's smarmy". Those are not evidence of anything.

Look, I'm sure he'd always have the best interests of the club at heart and all that jazz, but nothing really compensates for his personality.

He's a complete knob of a bloke. Nobody can convince me otherwise. Everything else becomes secondary when you're dealing with someone who makes you squirm wth every cringeworthy arrogant syllable that comes out of their mouth.

Personally, I couldn't care less if our next CEO is the biggest arsehole on the planet, as long as they're good at what they do.

Yes it is his connection to those on board that got him on the board which got him COO position to quietly shift him into CEO role when had to let loose Trigg
And as Macca 23 has said on few occasions there were many very highly qualified people applied for COO role but given to under qualified Smart knowing could not shake the boat in what occurred as he was a board member and because of playing profile they might get away with it.
But more important please someone tell me what qualifications did Smart have .
Footballer
- Few years living in French countryside
- Firewalker
- Failed Politician attempt
-- Car Salesman
-- Variety Charity head for profile.
So they are reasons i am totally against Smart having any major role in our club.

He's perceived as being arrogant. Some supporters might like that, but as a CEO he has to deal with a lot of business people, and that kind of perception is hard to fight. Sticking up for the Club is fine, but you also have to have tact, and the ability to smooth ruffled waters. I'm not sure Smart has that kind of personality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me it stems from doubt and fear. Trigg has left the club after 12-13 years and not because he was asked to move on, because he decided to go for what he considers a better job. Can you imagine the existence of the boys club and the selection of Smart as CEO, we are talking many, many, years of potential second rate leadership.

The state jumper, while small and kind of irrelevant, gave us an insight into how Smart operates when everything isn't going well, lets just say for me, I wasn't impressed. It was a complete miscalculation to assume South Australians were going to be cool with the idea and if you can't understand that, even as a guy who has lived here all his life, what else are you completely off the mark with? So Smart raises huge question marks with me and the board's desire to paint an "Everything is wonderful" picture will probably keep him in the job for years even if they identify that he isn't up to scratch. So alarm bells are ringing in my head over this possible appointment, if I trusted the board, I would be cool with the idea, but I don't trust the board. Roo has only one vote.

Yes it is his connection to those on board that got him on the board which got him COO position to quietly shift him into CEO role when had to let loose Trigg
And as Macca 23 has said on few occasions there were many very highly qualified people applied for COO role but given to under qualified Smart knowing could not shake the boat in what occurred as he was a board member and because of playing profile they might get away with it.
But more important please someone tell me what qualifications did Smart have .
Footballer
- Few years living in French countryside
- Firewalker
- Failed Politician attempt
-- Car Salesman
-- Variety Charity head for profile.
So they are reasons i am totally against Smart having any major role in our club.

This is my worry with Nigel as well. His lack of qualifications.

Surely, the time has come to have a fully qualified and experienced CEO lead our club in a businesslike and disciplined manner.

Anything less will create more of the same issues that have previously plagued us for years.

The Board should be given a mandate to get the best qualified CEO - nothing less should be tolerated.

I don't even understand why peoples respect for him decreased after the state guernsey incident. I thought it was perfect, I loved it!

Agreed and I didn't mind the Port comment either.

BUT

it wasn't followed through and that reeked of amateur hour, if you talk the talk you have to deliver and HE FAILED MISERABLY.

but he didn't fail the SANFL did.

Nope, easy cop out. He didn't have all his ducks in a row.

Why didn't he have it in writing from the SANFL, we actually had these jumpers for sale on our website and we didn't have written approval. That is mind bogggling for a multi million dollar organisation.

Jury's out for me. Not sure Nige has that certain…whatever...when it comes to dealing with the media and speaking publicly. Doesn't appear to be an accomplished mouthpiece and is not overly articulate at times when it counts. The stories that grow by the day of him 'lawyering' at his tribunal hearings are a bit urban mythish for my liking. I mean yep, so what?. I've never heard nor read anything that Nigel has said that makes me think he can handle the public side of things. He might be fantastic inside an office. Somehow just can't see it. No hate for the guy.

Nope, easy cop out. He didn't have all his ducks in a row.

Why didn't he have it in writing from the SANFL, we actually had these jumpers for sale on our website and we didn't have written approval. That is mind bogggling for a multi million dollar organisation.

As my catchcry for the AFC says:

"Embracing mediocrity since 1998".

It is no accident that Collingwood and Hawthorn are the most profitable and successful clubs. They are run like a business and are a well-oiled machine. Football is no longer about grass-roots and pleasing the fans. It is pure and simple a business!

St Kilda is a rabble both on and off field. Essendon is in trouble due to slack corporate governance. West Coast has recently turned itself around by strong internal business and culture management. And the list goes on.

Successful people breed success! Until the AFC runs itself in a true businesslike fashion we will continue to be plagued with the "issues" that continue to pop up year on year.

Tippetgate was the last straw for me. The lack of accountability at the top levels in relation to this issue was simply and utterly astounding. If that happened in my business (which I part-own), heads at the top level would have rolled and there would have been a complete and systematic investigation with strong checks and balances put in place to ensure it could never happen again! That has not happened and is very lamentable.

It is incredible with our history and "monopoly" supporter base and that we are not more successful and are unable to wield the power in the AFL that the Hawks and Pies and Sydney do.

Trigg's replacement is extremely important to the club's medium term future and, dare I say, ultimate survivability!

Agreed and I didn't mind the Port comment either.

BUT

it wasn't followed through and that reeked of amateur hour, if you talk the talk you have to deliver and HE FAILED MISERABLY.
this!

the execution of the release was magnificent. the bending over after was poor

Remove this Banner Ad

Back