Time to stick a fork in the Bombers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol. Falling over the line against bad sides counts for nothing if you can't beat the good sides in the first place.

Righto, you keep on going on with your disliking for Essendon that's fine, your obviously not capable of having a decent discussion. As I have said they are in bad form and NO team in bad form will beat the top 7 or 8 sides but we have managed to win our other games which still gives us a chance.

bombers are total opposite of carlton. carlton are only capable of moving the ball by run and carry. we have no kicking skills whatsoever. but Essendon are only capable of moving the ball by kicking. no run and carry whatsoever.

You are right in saying that's what we aren't doing but I still think we are capable of it, Dempsey has just started to get back to full fitness and he is our most important player in this regard and we are a much faster side with Winderlich in the team and he is due back after the bye so I am hopeful that this can turn around.

Lol. Falling over the line against bad sides counts for nothing if you can't beat the good sides in the first place.

Take Geelong for example, they are obviously in a patch of bad form, there last 3 games they have been belted by Freo and Port and fell over the line against Richmond.

Take Geelong for example, they are obviously in a patch of bad form, there last 3 games they have been belted by Freo and Port and fell over the line against Richmond.
Geelong also have a recent flag to their name and made a prelim last season. They can accurately put this down as an aberration. Essendon have a recent history of up and down results and haven't won a final since 2004(?). You can't just assume Essendon will turn this around.

Not an Essendon thing - just a general AFL media thing. Far more to do with cliche than fact. Have come to hate it over the last couple years.

Surely there has to be something said for still finding a way to win the close ones when you aren't playing well? It keeps your season alive, if you lose them as North Melbourne found out last year you cant get them back later in the year.

Geelong also have a recent flag to their name and made a prelim last season. They can accurately put this down as an aberration. Essendon have a recent history of up and down results and haven't won a final since 2004(?). You can't just assume Essendon will turn this around.

I am not assuming anything but I am confident they will, as I said they are obviously not top 4 material but are definitely capable of filling a bottom spot in the 8.

Can't stick a fork in any team that is only 1 game out of the 8 after 10 rounds/9 games, but geez, are Essendon fans going to hang their hats on round 1 and 3 all season? Time to move on guys, the wins were 2 months ago, it has no effect on the opinions of your team from Carlton and North fans.

Actually it counts for 4 points per game. It's essential to keep knocking off the bad sides when you're in a form slump so you actually still have a chance when you get moving, something your pathetic side didn't realise last year.

Actually it counts for 4 points per game. It's essential to keep knocking off the bad sides when you're in a form slump so you actually still have a chance when you get moving, something your pathetic side didn't realise last year.
Good one. We had a bad year and have improved in 2014. We have learned from last season unlike some clubs.

I'll assume it was a North fan on the ignore list that started the thread.

Worst form they've been in for quite a while, clearly and finally suffering dramatic effects from the ASADA scandal.

And yet still kicked the s**t out of North with ease.

No one cares what happened in round 1 or 3, well done you smashed Carlton and North, here is your Grand Final cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All the other stuff aside, just dysfunctional onfield.

Best players are Goddard and Chapman and Watson, none whom will be round much longer.

The Carlilse/Hurley merry go round back and forth hasn't worked.

Daniher shows tantalising signs but he hasn't hit the comp ready made as promised. He's three/four years off really impacting games.

Heppell a classic good player in a good side type, but struggles to "impact" when getting done.

Given the draft penalties already imposed, Bombers best hope hey can continue some of the success they've had in turning rookies/late picks into players.

Problem is experience shows you need to draft top shelf quality through the spine and midfield to really compete.

2014 looking grim for the Bombers and the way back will be a lot harder than it was for say Port or the Dogs, given the impediments.

I genuinely fear they risk "Jack Wattsing" Daniher by putting too much weight on his shoulders too young.

:thumbsdown:

Yeah, not irony. Perhaps you should take a look at that part of the thread again to gain some context and perspective.
Any chance you'll concede maybe you were rash in your judgement of Essendon?

BigFooty...where grudges never die.
Hey man I still remember the time that you...... well nothing springs to mind but give me a few minutes and I'm sure I can search for something.

Any chance you'll concede maybe you were rash in your judgement of Essendon?
It wasn't a rash judgement.

That other fella suggested it was a good sign that Essendon could beat poor sides while playing poorly. I suggested that is not the case. It may be a good sign for top teams like Geelong who don't need to be at their very best to win every week, but for a mid-table side all that does is prove they are mid-table.

The point still stands too. Essendon had a great win over Port but aside from that have beaten other mid-table and lower-table sides.

What about flat out losing to bad sides?
This is actually a thread about Essendon, and I commented as such. If it were about North I'd say something like "our inconsistency is a big issue, but I'm please that at our best we can beat anyone".

In fact, I probably have said that in a North related thread so it isn't hypocritical or "ironic" that I posted about Essendon's results here.

It wasn't a rash judgement.

That other fella suggested it was a good sign that Essendon could beat poor sides while playing poorly. I suggested that is not the case. It may be a good sign for top teams like Geelong who don't need to be at their very best to win every week, but for a mid-table side all that does is prove they are mid-table.

The point still stands too. Essendon had a great win over Port but aside from that have beaten other mid-table and lower-table sides.

Not sure anyone here suggested they were any better than a bottom half of the 8 side, have beaten the other 3 sides in this position and yep lost to the top 4, this thread was about sticking a fork in the bombers for this season which was obviously way premature at the time and has been proven so. They yet may miss the 8 but they are going to be in it up to there ears until the end. I got laughed at for suggesting that they could turn things around and still play finals and that winning against the bottom sides despite being in poor form at the time would still be very beneficial come seasons end when jostling for a position, those games quite clearly have kept them in the race and since then and the mid season bye they have won 6 from 8 and have jumped into the top 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back