Time to stick a fork in the Bombers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
He usually takes the second best forward unless the number one is especially mobile and wouldn't suit Hooker. He's been convincingly beaten by Franklin and Riewoldt (not much shame in that - they're both superstars. Yeah, Franklin started the season poorly but when in form, high in confidence, kicking straight, and with a firing midfield he's extremely dangerous). He conceded 3 goals to Pav, but given Pav's form that's not that bad.

He's kept Aaron Black, Jack Gunston, Jarrad Waite, Stewart Crameri, and Daniel Merrett (I know, some pretty unimpressive scalps) to one goal or less. He's provided very good rebound - his disposal efficiency might not be great but that's because his kicks are ambitious and extremely damaging when they come off. He'll have a few shanks but very rarely are they in a position that will result directly in a score for the opposition.

He hasn't been amazing or elite, but he has actually played well.
Disposal efficiency at nearly 80%, so its up there with the better defensive kicks, i.e. Johnson, Taylor, Hansen, etc.

Yeah, Lachie, that 25 year old defender entering his prime who is currently 3rd in the league for marks per game.

He's hopeless.
There's only about twenty games difference between them l believe too, so it's not entirely right basing it on two whole extra years in age.

Wait, why are we comparing Hurley & Hansen?

OP said Hansen was three times the player that Hurley is. I can't remember the reason or if there was one. Other than to take a shot at Essendon, of course.

Who cares though? Both doing solid jobs for their respective teams. There is no discussion there.

Anyone else watch Bomber Thompson on AFL 360 last night?

Even with Robbo trying to pitch the questions for him to smash out of the park, he looked really uncomfortable being challenged. When Gerard threw up a a tough one about making Carlisle the sub Bomber mumbled for a couple of seconds before Robbo took over about "well ya had to cover for a tall potentially getting hurt, and the Swans forwards might've caught fire late..." then Bomber spoke up with 'all that and we didn't know how long Bellchambers would last so it was an obvious move we thought.'

Then Robbo asked him about ASADA having a mental effect and Bomber crossed his arms, leaned forward and said something along the lines of "It's not my job to know if that's getting in their heads. That's up to the managers and the human resources people. I don't really wanna talk about it." and so they left it there.

Firstly, that's shite work from Robbo and Gerard. They had more time in the segment so they should've followed that up and really pressed him. He was obviously uncomfortable and it's obviously causing issues so don't let him out with that bullshit answer.

Secondly, Bomber should walk away right now. He clearly is just killing time until Hirdy gets back and he doesn't seem to be taking on the role beyond picking a team and a game plan. Melbourne are showing signs of improvement. So are the Dogs and Saints. If anything Bomber's taking this team backwards when they should be pushing for top 4.

Let Goodwin or Bassett take over for half a season and get some personal development out of it. At least then some good can come from this season.....

Last edited:
Yeah, Lachie, that 25 year old defender entering his prime who is currently 3rd in the league for marks per game.

He's hopeless.

hang on, so the role Sammy Fisher played in 2009-2010, dominating as a floating 3rd man up (essentially the same as lachie) would mean he was one of the best key defenders? I think not. Hansen's improvement is directly tied with the improvement of your other key backs - thompson and grima, that enable him to come over the top. He isn't all that flash 1v1, his only elite skill (if any) is the ability to read the ball. That's about it - he certainly isn't an elite KPD. Scott Thompson is much better.

Fisher was more than a '3rd man' he played genuine CHB for his fair share of games.

That said, I'd take Hansen over Hurley. Hansen is very good down back and more dangerous as a leading CHF than Hurley

Hard not to see the appointment of Bomber Thompson as a mistake born of impulsiveness, humiliation, resentment and revenge. They were embarrassed by the August negotiations, and so they tried to stick it to everyone by appointing Bomber, who was motivated enough in that little window for everyone to forget that he left coaching because he had been completely burnt out at Geelong and he has never had the opportunity to recover from that burn out.

Everything about him this year makes me feel that he is toast. He needed a much longer tenure at a club in much less turmoil I would guess, looking from the outside in.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You might want to have a look at how Hansen is performing and has been for a good while now.

He's one of the elite defenders of the comp (which given we spent pick 3 on him, you'd hope for)

Unlike Michael Not that Great Up Forward, Not That Great Down Back Hurley.

You really think Hansen is in the same league as someone such as Luke McPharlin or Darren Glass?

They've stuck a fork in themselves.

A classic example of a club that can play soft football and play it exceptionally well when allowed to. Put some pressure on them, they fold. I think Essendon suffer from their own huge supporter base overrating their players, mainly out of hope more than anything else. I see it at Collingwood too, so I'm not having a go at them, it's just the dynamic that exists.

How are we "sticking it to everyone" by appointing Bomber?
There was, if you recall, a considerable sentiment that appointing Bomber as interim coach after he himself had also been suspended as apart of the August game into disrepute penalties was an inappropriate (and provocative) move. On certain episodes of 360 (cannot provide citations, got deleted off my IQ box loooong ago), Thompson did hint that the penalties had got his back up and gave him the motivation to step into that top spot. So there was an appearance that the appointment was being made to send a statement, rather than being a purely practical one.

It is a different sort of case to the usual, as most times an assistant coach is looking to acquire a full time head coach role, but Bomber has already been there and done that and had no such long-term ambitions.

They've stuck a fork in themselves.

A classic example of a club that can play soft football and play it exceptionally well when allowed to. Put some pressure on them, they fold. I think Essendon suffer from their own huge supporter base overrating their players, mainly out of hope more than anything else. I see it at Collingwood too, so I'm not having a go at them, it's just the dynamic that exists.
Too much Red For Ed in the media :D

There was, if you recall, a considerable sentiment that appointing Bomber as interim coach after he himself had also been suspended as apart of the August game into disrepute penalties was an inappropriate (and provocative) move. On certain episodes of 360 (cannot provide citations, got deleted off my IQ box loooong ago), Thompson did hint that the penalties had got his back up and gave him the motivation to step into that top spot. So there was an appearance that the appointment was being made to send a statement, rather than being a purely practical one.

It is a different sort of case to the usual, as most times an assistant coach is looking to acquire a full time head coach role, but Bomber has already been there and done that and had no such long-term ambitions.

Do you really believe we appointed him so we could "stick it" to others?

He was appointed because we had a premiership coach at the club already who knew the side inside out. There are no conspiracies or anything else other than the plain fact that he was the logical choice for 1 year.

As much as I hate the Bombers, blaming them for appointing Bomber is kind of stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back