Injury Geelong with an A+ health rating

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 17, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Article that rates the injury lists of the contenders. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g-into-september/story-fni5f22o-1226998887861

Geelong rate A+, clearly above the other serious contenders (Sydney B, Hawks c, Fremantle C, Port B).

It's for this reason that it's incredibly hard to work out where we are positioned. Are we:
(a) At full strength and playing as well as we're going to and will get found out in finals (e.g. 2012, 2013)?
or
(b) Cruising into finals with a full and healthy list ready to peak in September, while other teams will arrive in September weary from underdone lists (e.g. 2011)?

Thoughts?

It's for this reason that it's incredibly hard to work out where we are positioned. Are we:
(a) At full strength and playing as well as we're going to and will get found out in finals (e.g. 2012, 2013)?
or
(b) Cruising into finals with a full and healthy list ready to peak in September, while other teams will arrive in September weary from underdone lists (e.g. 2011)?

Thoughts?

Somewhere in between, I suspect, in that many of our season-long players (especially the older ones) have been at their best all along (subject to normal form fluctuations), a few of the younger ones are getting more consistent and slowly improving, and the LTIs (Caddy, Christensen) are still a fair way short of their best, and might or might not peak sometime/anytime this season.

Article that rates the injury lists of the contenders. http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...g-into-september/story-fni5f22o-1226998887861

Geelong rate A+, clearly above the other serious contenders (Sydney B, Hawks c, Fremantle C, Port B).

or

Thoughts?

We're close to best 22, pending individual opinions on a couple of players, but the chemistry and form of the team worries me.

Sure enough, we've played everyone and are currently second, which is an achievement in itself, but do we have the ability to raise ourselves to another level for the finals, against teams like Sydney and Hawthorn? I'm not sure.

Our players, game plan and form has not gelled this year, and it must do so very quickly if we are to be serious contenders. We'll have our answers soon enough, but it's going to be an anxious wait.

No way we are close to A+. More like a B-. We have almost everyone available for selection, that doesn't equate to match fit though!

Yep Best 22 on the park now (when Christensen returns) but a very disrupted year otherwise and a number of players still short of match fitness/ confidence that comes with 4 or 5 good wins together.
The small forwards have all been injured and we haven't been able to settle this area at all.

Yep Best 22 on the park now (when Christensen returns) but a very disrupted year otherwise and a number of players still short of match fitness/ confidence that comes with 4 or 5 good wins together.
The small forwards have all been injured and we haven't been able to settle this area at all.
Um Vardy?

We're close to best 22, pending individual opinions on a couple of players, but the chemistry and form of the team worries me.

Sure enough, we've played everyone and are currently second, which is an achievement in itself, but do we have the ability to raise ourselves to another level for the finals, against teams like Sydney and Hawthorn? I'm not sure.

Our players, game plan and form has not gelled this year, and it must do so very quickly if we are to be serious contenders. We'll have our answers soon enough, but it's going to be an anxious wait.
We haven't been able to play the high-pressure forward line that we started the season with, since both Burbury and McCarthy went down. We might be able to shuffle others through to play the role but we would lose out in the midfield. Who knows whether we will play a hybrid game plan or ditch that plan altogether, since it might be too late to have McCarthy back in the MC's calculations.

We haven't been able to play the high-pressure forward line that we started the season with, since both Burbury and McCarthy went down. We might be able to shuffle others through to play the role but we would lose out in the midfield. Who knows whether we will play a hybrid game plan or ditch that plan altogether, since it might be too late to have McCarthy back in the MC's calculations.

I guess the plan was to have Stokes, Bundy and Caddy all rotating through the mid/forward pocket - just that they've all been injured!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't count Vardy or Menzel as best 22 in 2014. Maybe next year (fingers crossed).
Vardy was guaranteed a game at centre half forward if he wasnt injured (its the sole reason we got rid of Pods). Vardy is not playing because of injury. hence our list is not 100 percent injury free. theres no its or buts about this.

Vardy was guaranteed a game at centre half forward if he wasnt injured (its the sole reason we got rid of Pods). Vardy is not playing because of injury. hence our list is not 100 percent injury free. theres no its or buts about this.

At the same time, they are two different things. No doubt at all that Vardy was guaranteed the centre half forward spot, or that he is THE anointed one at Geelong. But there isn't much evidence - if at all - that he's best 22. Not yet.

At the same time, they are two different things. No doubt at all that Vardy was guaranteed the centre half forward spot, or that he is THE anointed one at Geelong. But there isn't much evidence - if at all - that he's best 22. Not yet.

He does indeed seem the anointed one, but I haven't seen enough to be certain that he has the ability, or durability, to fulfill the expectation over the longer term.

It worries me that some see him as being an instant answer to CHF. Hopefully they're far more astute than I, which is probably the fact of the matter.

Guys we've got 95% of the list available and we're in better shape than the rest of the league injury wise. You can't really dispute the article or complain about injuries too much lol...

Unless it's Menzel!

Guys we've got 95% of the list available and we're in better shape than the rest of the league injury wise. You can't really dispute the article or complain about injuries too much lol...

Unless it's Menzel!

You're right, but it's not the health of the list that is concerning......it's the lack of form and fitness that is the bigger issue

Last edited:
I think it's more a lack of form than fitness. Bundy's the only starting 18 player who's had a majorly injury interrupted season.

Fair call.

Referred to fitness with people in mind like Bundy, Caddy etc having to work up to it after various interruptions, SJ and Selwood being hampered for a while, and Simpson still not being able to run a game out.....

I think it's more a lack of form than fitness. Bundy's the only starting 18 player who's had a majorly injury interrupted season.
Selwood had no preseason, Stevie J hasn't been training most weeks, Motlop missed a huge chuck with his knee opp. I could go on.

Brown ain't the man so forget about it! Time to embrace the Vardy's, Kersten's and Caddy's of the world :p;)

Now I know why you act like an idiot so much. Is that relevant to the discussion? I'm thinking no. Besides, last I checked there is only one of each of those players.

Kersten has debuted and is averaging more disposals and more goals than Vardy has over his entire career already. Enlighten us as to exactly what Vardy would be contributing that would be any better than what Kersten has done?

(I'll spell the name slowly just for you: K-E-R-S-T-E-N )

Now I know why you act like an idiot so much. Is that relevant to the discussion? I'm thinking no. Besides, last I checked there is only one of each of those players.

Kersten has debuted and is averaging more disposals and more goals than Vardy has over his entire career already. Enlighten us as to exactly what Vardy would be contributing that would be any better than what Kersten has done?

(I'll spell the name slowly just for you: K-E-R-S-T-E-N )
Its not that Vardy would contribute more than Kersten its that he would free up Kersten to play the third tall roll and exploit the third defender. If Brown or Walker were good enough to contribute then we could use them as the second tall to free up Kersten but they aren't anywhere near the standard. Its questionable whether Vardy would be, and that's why getting rid of Pods was a dumb mistake even if Vardy was fit, but Vardy was well ahead of Brown and Walker in being to hold off defenders in marking contests and compete for the ball in the air and that is exactly what we need.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back