Lin Jong Elevated for the remainder of 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Congrats to Jongy, will be good to see how far he's come since the start of the year should he crack a game. I said after Wallis' injury that it could be a good move by the club to bring in Jong (allowing Picken to stay back) if they rate his improvement; good to see the club sees him as a viable option when Mitch is unavailable. Really hope he gets his chance.

Last edited:

Black pup and my good self pump up his tyres this morning and bingo !
You can't tell me the club take no notice of expertise offered on this board :cool:

I am ambivalent towards this. I like Jong, and it's obvious what he can bring to the side, but I'm not sure whether he has a place in the team going forward.

I am ambivalent towards this. I like Jong, and it's obvious what he can bring to the side, but I'm not sure whether he has a place in the team going forward.

Yep, I'm the same. He has some good qualities but just doesn't seem to be a natural footballer. I hope he proves me wrong.

Yep, I'm the same. He has some good qualities but just doesn't seem to be a natural footballer. I hope he proves me wrong.

Fully understand your reservations , and he is no certainty to make the grade.
But his improvement has been so rapid there is no way you can cut him next year , otherwise it has been a waste of time.
Just wondering have you seen much of him at VFL level this year ?

Not really, only the games on TV. To me he just seems to be like a lost puppy out there sometimes.

Fair enough , but he has been given shut down jobs and really worked his opponents over.
He is a big strong and quick unit now.
He has definitely become more composed with ball in hand.
With his athletic ability , all he needs to find is 10 per cent more footy smarts and you will have a very good footballer.

Mitchell is gun as we know , but if Jong plays on him , he will know he has played a game of football.
Jong isn't even in the emergencies, so no chance of him playing this week.

Like Jong and think he has a future at the club. It's not going to be an easy team to get a game in, but I like what he brings to the table - he just needs to do it consistently throughout games. Appreciate his efforts to engage with fans at the VFL, too. He approached me to say hi before I walked up to him on one occasion, and I was seriously impressed with that.

Congrats to him on his elevation, anyway. Hope he can finish the year strongly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jong is Picken 2.0 in my eyes. Not exquisitely talented, but a heart like Pharlap. Will give his all till he's poisoned to death.

Well done Jongy, I for one can envisage a permanent spot in the Doggies line up for you. Just keep travelling the path that got you this far. ;-)
Jong's more athletic though.
190cm, got a massive vertical leap and speed testing was one of the fastest players in the club.

Other players who were not natural footballers such as Jim Stynes, Sean Wight, Tadgh Keneally, Zac Tuohy, Pearce Hanley and Myke Pyke said to say hello. Jongy has made his way onto an AFL rookie list from limited exposure to the game, give him a chance people, he will be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back