Lin Jong Elevated for the remainder of 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think it is relevant, comparing Jong, with Bontempelli and Stringer two top 10 picks, but if you are going to, I think it shows how well Jong is going for a rookie listed player. Jong career is amazing, his improvement this year is as good as anybody on our list, I believe this will continue, GO BULLDOGS, GO JONGY.
Bontempelli, Hunter, Hrovat, Stringer, JJ, Roberts. That's 6 without even thinking.

The thing is that he's never going to be a natural footballer. That's not to say that he won't become a good player, but the fact is I believe his ceiling is limited as opposed to someone like Bontempelli or Stringer who are just such naturals. It's another example of overrating someone because they have great athletic attributes, but not great football attributes.

Considering losing Wallis, Higgins is up and down I think they've had little choice but to do in in terms of that extra utility type player. Unfortunately for Ling he has struggled to improve over the last 2 seasons but I am not surprised to see them do this.

Not sure if they're going to cut him loose just yet. I get the inkling that they might keep him on for the time being
I don't believe this, a couple of is early games in the seniors were really good, his VFL season with Footscray has been terrific, his improvement has been outstanding, last year he broke is leg. Even you may struggle to perform with a broken leg.
It makes me wonder, do you actually watch the VFL each week, or just shoot from the hip. These posts are really sad, and so far of the mark.

It makes me wonder, do you actually watch the VFL each week, or just shoot from the hip. These posts are really sad, and so far of the mark.

Jong needs to develop his endurance, his decision making, his kicking. He hasn't had a lot of game time this year, for various reasons.

But if he is going to stay on the list, he needs to show improvement at a steady rate. No I don't get to watch the VFL games every week, but I've seen enough of Jong to know that he still has a bit of work to do before he's going to get a regular gig in the staring 22.

I couldn't care less if you disagree otherwise, you're entitled to your own opinion.

Jong needs to develop his endurance, his decision making, his kicking. He hasn't had a lot of game time this year, for various reasons.

But if he is going to stay on the list, he needs to show improvement at a steady rate. No I don't get to watch the VFL games every week, but I've seen enough of Jong to know that he still has a bit of work to do before he's going to get a regular gig in the staring 22.

I couldn't care less if you disagree otherwise, you're entitled to your own opinion.

I'm with black pup on this - Jong will play quite a bit of senior footy with the Bullies over the next few years... (in my opinion of course.)

That's fine, just the explanation I expected, I understand where you are coming from, it's pretty clear.

I can see BP's views here. Jong's athletic attributes - tall for a midfielder, quickest player in the team and probably the highest vertical in the team - plus his maniac attack on the ball and willingness to put his head over the ball and his desire to win it inside - are all "natural" aspects of a player which you can't teach.
The areas of the game that he needs to work on - skills and decision making - are the easiest aspect of the game to teach. All he does is need to train and get more experience.
In that view, his "upside", his "unlocked potential" argued in an abstract way could be higher than absolutely anybody else on our entire list. It's just the possibility and likelihood of reaching that level of upside and potential is a lot lower than the top-10 picks, who we'd say is over a 80 or 90% chance to reach their top. With Jong it's more like less than 10%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back