Essendon officially recognises LGBTI member group

Remove this Banner Ad

It's an issue because they aren't treated as equals. How exactly do you think this will help that cause?
Because the people in Canberra (read: Tony Abbott) are idiots with their heads in the sand about this issue and highlighting this sort of issue is the best way to reach equality. FFS if issues aren't highlighted they get pushed out of the way and equality never happens

I know they did this because a gay member was pushing for it, so I don't want to step on their enthusiasm for the idea. I think this is more a political statement of support for the GLBTQI community so I applaud that. But having said that, I think the idea is kind of silly, and hasn't been thought through by the club. Gay people don't need a separate membership to everyone else, and on a certain level it's kind of creepy to do so (think Facism). It may even single out gay people amongst Essendon supporters for homophobia and gayism (gayism: the gay equivalent to racism) at matches etc.

I feel that what may have been done with good intentions could turn out to be bad, and I hope it's not supported by Gay Essendon supporters.

It's a social issue that Australia is behind the times on. If it were Carlton or Hawthorn I would still applaud them for taking the initiative over this.
Really?

I'd understand Essendon establishing a "James Hird Appreciation Membership", but this cries out "Gays must be treated differently"

A supporter group is fine. I've got no problem if a group of gay people want to form their own group just like groups of lawyers, business people, old people, young people etc do.

But a separate membership sounds a little weird. What do you get? What do gay supporters need or get that straight supporters don't?

Really?

I'd understand Essendon establishing a "James Hird Appreciation Membership", but this cries out "Gays must be treated differently"
Yes. See my previous post

I look forward to the "gay bay" at the grounds, the section where these members will sit in their rainbow essendon jumpers.

You do realise Tony Abbott's sister is gay?
You say that as if it means something. His work for the LGBTI community has been detrimental to their cause

You say that as if it means something. His work for the LGBTI community has been detrimental to their cause
So do tell us exactly how this exclusive Essendon membership will advance the gay cause...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now Essendon will have:

Reserved Seat Memberships
Flexi Access Memberships
Gay membership
National Membership
Non-Access Memberships
Junior Memberships

Anything look odd in the above?

So do tell us exactly how this exclusive Essendon membership will advance the gay cause...
Because it highlights the issue of equality. If you don't highlight these sort of things they get pushed aside. Simple as that.

If you are striving for equality, you really need to be distancing yourself from being classified in a minority group. I would think being classed in the all encompassing category of 'member' would meet the needs of equality rather than the more defining classification of 'LGBTI member'

Looks like we've found what Hirds been working on
866370-james-hird.jpg

Essendon will create a new membership specially for gay and lesbian fans in time for the 2015 season.

I've got nothing against the idea, but do we really need this?

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/essend...ti-afl-fans-20140731-zyuip.html#ixzz396v6d1KN

so does this mean i can call people fairies at the footy and not get frowned upon as i wont be sitting near the purple group or whatever it is?

seriously, they (minority groups) complain they want to be treated equally then go and create a group like this. This is what annoys the everyday person

Remove this Banner Ad

Back