Essendon officially recognises LGBTI member group

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a political statement furthering the acceptance and standing of LGBT people in society and just another step down the road that ends one day where most people aren't *heads about it and stop acting like it's not normal.

I'm fine with it, and some of you are tools.

The membership is irrelevant, it's the message that matters.

So now Essendon will have:

Reserved Seat Memberships
Flexi Access Memberships
Gay membership
National Membership
Non-Access Memberships
Junior Memberships

Anything look odd in the above?

Probably hoping gay supporters buy a normal membership and a gay one so their numbers increase and look like they have lots more members.

A supporter group is fine. I've got no problem if a group of gay people want to form their own group just like groups of lawyers, business people, old people, young people etc do.

But a separate membership sounds a little weird. What do you get? What do gay supporters need or get that straight supporters don't?

If it was carlton, any male gay guys get a snapchat from bootsma

The concept or the 'act'?

Not sure. He stated he was "threatened" by homosexuality. Who knows why. Most people that have a problem with it seem to spend a disproportionate amount of time picturing what goes on behind other people's closed doors.

Political correctness gone overboard. Have no issues towards lesbians or homosexual people.

But who really cares about your sexual preference in regards to a football club?

Why can't minority groups accept that?

It's a political statement furthering the acceptance and standing of LGBT people in society and just another step down the road that ends one day where most people aren't ****heads about it and stop acting like it's not normal.

I'm fine with it, and some of you are tools.
We all use the same roads, same supermarket queues, doctors, oh services without the need to have special classifications for any minority. Why create a classification that makes a minority actually stand out? Why not seek to melt into the mix rather than try and stand out and set yourself apart.

I couldn't care less if the bloke in the next car, in the same queue, in the same waiting room is gay or a bloody Martian.

See it's a supporter group just like all the others listed there. Which is probably what the Essendon one will turn out to be. I think there's an important difference between a special supporter group who choose to do things as is their will and a membership that puts people in to a different category (even if created by a gay man).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so does this mean i can call people fairies at the footy and not get frowned upon as i wont be sitting near the purple group or whatever it is?

seriously, they (minority groups) complain they want to be treated equally then go and create a group like this. This is what annoys the everyday person
What's the every day person?

Some of the responses in this thread are ridiculous, they aren't forcing all gay/lesbian members to buy this membership!!

Anyone that wants to or is comfortable displaying the fact that they are gay/lesbian/bi can now express that at the football, I don't see a problem with it.

Essendon isn't going around saying 'Hey you, I heard you're gay - you can only buy this membership!', it's providing people with an option (and presumably there might be an option to sit together as a group - which will help people meet gay/lesbian people with an interest in footy).

We all use the same roads, same supermarket queues, doctors, oh services without the need to have special classifications for any minority. Why create a classification that makes a minority actually stand out? Why not seek to melt into the mix rather than try and stand out and set yourself apart.

I couldn't care less if the bloke in the next car, in the same queue, in the same waiting room is gay or a bloody Martian.
Yeah, but Brian Taylor still uses 'NTTAWWTter' as an insult.

One can get married, one can't

Yes. See my previous post

I'd love to see your posts if it was another club like say Richmond who made this membership, you'd be having a field day

So now Essendon will have:

Reserved Seat Memberships
Flexi Access Memberships
Gay membership
National Membership
Non-Access Memberships
Junior Memberships

Anything look odd in the above?
They also have Pet Membership, but it's sold out.

I don't understand why a Gay Membership is necessary. It's a bit odd.

I'm pretty sure I never filled out a Membership questionnaire that asked what my sexual preference was, and it would be weird if it did.

I couldn't care less if the bloke in the next car, in the same queue, in the same waiting room is gay
So why do you care about this issue at all then? The LGBTI community have welcomed it, why can't you?

I'd love to see your posts if it was another club like say Richmond who made this membership, you'd be having a field day
No I wouldn't. See where I stated that if it were Hawthorn or Carlton I'd still support this? I'm a massive supporter of sexual equality (and no, I'm not "gay") because to me, if you love somebody and want to marry them you should be able to, but because of some statement that might have been said 5000 years ago or whatever, we don't have it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back