Roast Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

Your whinging in the gameday thread was incessant and now you feel the need to start a thread on this.

Give it a rest.

Justified thread imo. There were clearly two set of rules out there depending on which jumper you were wearing.

It got to the stage where I wasn't even mad - I just sat back disappointed that a top(ish) of the table clash could be so obviously fixed by the umpires in one team's favour. I actually found myself smiling in bemusement every time they overlooked a free to us only to pay a soft one to them seconds later.

Usually I can only manage such detachment if I'm stoned... but today I was drinking, so the fact I couldn't even get mad with numerous beers under my belt speaks volumes about how gutting it is to realise you follow a sport where fairness doesn't apply.

At best the umps went in with preconceived notions that we were the bad guys - like this is a f**king WWE storyline or something - at worst it was a complete fix. Either way it shakes your faith in the sport when this keeps happening to us time and time again.

Last edited:
S
You guys where stooged and you need Rosich and your Prez to put the squeeze on Gill.

I'd also hope you'd use whatever influence you have with the WAFC to also get some influence. Remember the WAFC (via the govt) is building the AFL a brand new stadium for **** all.

THE AFL corruptly made you play that final in Geelong last year and now you copped that penetration by the umps at that pop gun country backwater ground.

heckin'g disgrace.

We have a past Dockers board member on the AFL commision. I held such great hope.

I heard you gus won it at the Commonwealth games, can't remember what sport....
Maybe diving?

Gus?

gus-fring.jpg

I'm still in shock from what i saw in the first half, blatant cheating and the fact that Geelong supporters are happy about it is even more astonishing. I'd be ****ing embarrassed if Freo managed a win the same way Geelong did tonight. I really hope the Steves kicks up a fuss about this.

S

We have a past Dockers board member on the AFL commision. I held such great hope.

The power doesn't reside on the board of the commission.
Shit, our old skipper is the boss and it's got us **** all.

The real power the boys club that actually runs the day to day op (CEO, Op's Manager) and the board rooms of Fox Footy, Channel Seven , MMM, etc.

Not a word about the umpiring at the presser. FMD Maguire would make sure that the question was asked of Buckley and then Maguire would scream blue ****ing murder on every one of his media organs.

Justified thread imo. There were clearly two set of rules out there depending on which jumper you were wearing.

It got to the stage where I wasn't even mad - I just sat back disappointed that a top(ish) of the table clash could be so obviously fixed by the umpires in one team's favour. I actually found myself smiling in bemusement every time they overlooked a free to us only to pay a soft one to them seconds later.

Usually I can only manage such detachment if I'm stoned... but today I was drinking, so the fact I couldn't even get mad with numerous beers under my belt speaks volumes about how gutting it is to realise you follow a sport where fairness doesn't apply.

At best the umps went in with preconceived notions that we were the bad guys - like this is a f**king WWE storyline or something - at worst it was a complete fix. Either way it shakes your faith in the sport when this keep happening to us time and time again.

Maybe! The whole fixation on the umpires baffles me though. Almost every week before the games starts people are already complaining about the umpires. "Not ....... and ....." They're all struggling with the constant rule changes and players are always pushing the limits. Tough job. Tonight was shocking though.

We should have had some scoreboard pressure early and that really would have changed the game.

As far as us being the bad guys and Geelong supporters complaining about our tactics. In recent history they have bullied nearly every other club and used strong arm tactics(often dirty), their supporters just don't like seeing the tables turned and that's why we will beat them again in September. If we get to play them.

It was pretty clear early on that the umpires were making calls in response to the crowd's reaction, rather than what they saw. Lots of very iffy calls which favoured Geelong.

It was an absolute disgrace. I was absolutely fuming and going off my head as Azzlandia and everyone else at Moondyne Joes can attest to. I thought last week against Carlton was bad but this week was a lot worse. How Stevie J can kick Lachie in the head and then get himself a free kick I have no idea. How he can grab Sutty by the throat and get himself a free kick I have no idea. Why Bartel is a protected species and can duck his head and drive it in to a tackle and get a free I have no idea. How the umpires keep paying Selwood's blatent cheating I have no idea. How Sandi can get absolutely monstered each week being held and having his arm chopped but not getting a free I have no idea. If the umpires payed things both ways we would have won by a fair margin.

I'm not one to bang on about poor umpiring, but that was deplorable, if it had have been a level playing field for the first half, we could have actually got some momentum. Look what happened when they put the whistle away for the last quarter, we kick a bag of goals and almost snatch the game. Heartbreaking.

Precisely. If they'd just let the teams play there's no doubt in my mind we would have won.

Or even if Geelong did manage to win at least they would have deserved it.

The first 3 qtrs were ridiculous with a whistle going every time we touched them (we did get some soft ones in the first 5 minutes but it was all one way traffic after that). Must be incredibly frustrating for the players - all their instincts and training teach them to hit the contest hard, but every time they do the umps give the ball to the opposition. Meanwhile the same thing happens to them and they get nothing. I admire their restraint all things considered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also what about when Varcoe whacked Suban in the face twice? No free kick

Makes you wonder. (amongst other things)

It was an absolute disgrace. I was absolutely fuming and going off my head as Azzlandia and everyone else at Moondyne Joes can attest to. I thought last week against Carlton was bad but this week was a lot worse. How Stevie J can kick Lachie in the head and then get himself a free kick I have no idea. How he can grab Sutty by the throat and get himself a free kick I have no idea. Why Bartel is a protected species and can duck his head and drive it in to a tackle and get a free I have no idea. How the umpires keep paying Selwood's blatent cheating I have no idea. How Sandi can get absolutely monstered each week being held and having his arm chopped but not getting a free I have no idea. If the umpires payed things both ways we would have won by a fair margin.
You forgot the bit where if you breathed on Hawkins you would get pinned too.
Was shit but we nearly won there was the usual shitty fumbles but the last quarter won my heart, to only miss by <---> at the end.

At the halftime break I honestly thought this game was being rigged. Some of the free kicks Geelong were getting were blatant cheating. It's not everyday you see neutrals going out of their way posting on our board about the blatant umpire favoritism.

Also what the **** does Fyfe have to do to get a free kick? He is literally held at every contest week in week out with **** all help from the Umpires

we have no control of the umpiring, no point wasting energy on complaining about it.

should be focusing on things we can fix like injecting a bit of youth, duffy and crozier really stood up tonight.

Amen. And guys like subtcliffe and Neale who have become best 22 already.

Yeah you literally blew a gaskin, understandable. I got to the point where I just sat back in bemusement.

Umpiring
Tribunal
Fixturing
Controversies (eg drugs) being swept under the carpet
Concessions on salary caps given to teams for no good reason
Insane sterile laws on cheer squad behaviour, and getting shitty on harmless behaviour like booing

Man, love the game and my dockers and my dockers friends to bits, but this is just doing my head in to the point of bemusement this AFL organisation.

Here's a fun fact for you

Fremantle has the worst free kick differential in the AFL of - 52

Over the past 2 weeks we have had a free kick differential of - 26

Carlton 22 - 13 Freo
Geelong 31 - 14 Freo

I almost feel like that I might need to take a sign up to Brisbane along the lines of

Umpires - Remember to adjudicate NEUTRALLY!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back