Delisted #28: Elliott Kavanagh - Gone to play SANFL

Remove this Banner Ad

He has been quite good. Seems to be played out of position in the VFL also (on a wing and not a true on baller FWIW)

He's been in the sytem 3 years. If you are any good you should be getting a lot more ball at VFL level as a midielder.

If you are an inside mid you know how to get the ball no matter where you are playing. He just doesn't get it enough. You have to be elite in that capacity to play AFL. He's just going at VFL level.

Will be a miracle if he gets to 100 games.

He's been in the sytem 3 years. If you are any good you should be getting a lot more ball at VFL level as a midielder.

If you are an inside mid you know how to get the ball no matter where you are playing. He just doesn't get it enough. You have to be elite in that capacity to play AFL. He's just going at VFL level.

Agree with your point, but in fairness to Kav he often seems to only play a quarter or half, since he's a regular emergency for the 1sts.

Need to stop selecting him as the turkey sub. Give him a full game. Kav needs premium, dude. Premium!

When I think of Kav I think of Gary O'Donnell. There is nothing that blew your mind about GO'D early on but he was very clever and just needed the experience behind him to elevate him to a position of confidence and, in many ways, control. It took him a long time to become a senior AFL footballer but when he did he became a midfield 'controller'. I could easily see Kav, with confidence, become this type of player. Here's hoping anyhoo...

Should never be sub again, it's idiotic. Bomber may have proved us all wrong on Carlisle but I this is just idiotic.

Play him full games or play him full games in the VFL. Next year he should be picked and sticked. Let him play without expecting to be dropped the next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

came into the game when the game was up for grabs. finals spots on the line for both teams.

think we can afford to cut him some slack. worth persisting with

He'll be a slow burn. Def worth persisting with.

Who is the better prospect Kavanagh or O'Brien ? After seeing Kavanagh's AFL form, I couldn't imagine that O'Brien would be worse.
Problem for Nob is that we are already overloaded with big, slow mids....we have to get pace into our midfield and he hinders rather than helps on this front.

Yep he has, first year they went lightly as he was injured when he was drafted and did about half training load for most of the season.Made his debut late in the year. Second year the work load was normal, played 15 in the VFL and 3 in the AFL but still had a couple of soft tissue injuries. This season he got injured at the start of FEB , missed 6 weeks of training and play in the VFL until the start of May.
They are not robots. Big deal he is third year and yes he has been just going in the VFL but there are reasons for it. If he had played all year in the VFL then yes be worried but he hasn't. It is pleasing to see that although he is only around 80% fit (compared to others who have had a full season) he has been good in the VFL for the last 4 games even though it has been only around the 18 disposal average. Has been tagged in a couple of the games and still only plays 70% or around that level of game time.

Who is the better prospect Kavanagh or O'Brien ? After seeing Kavanagh's AFL form, I couldn't imagine that O'Brien would be worse.

So you are calling it on 6 games and none where he has been 100% fit and twice as sub ?

Yep he has, first year they went lightly as he was injured when he was drafted and did about half training load for most of the season.Made his debut late in the year. Second year the work load was normal, played 15 in the VFL and 3 in the AFL but still had a couple of soft tissue injuries. This season he got injured at the start of FEB , missed 6 weeks of training and play in the VFL until the start of May.
They are not robots. Big deal he is third year and yes he has been just going in the VFL but there are reasons for it. If he had played all year in the VFL then yes be worried but he hasn't. It is pleasing to see that although he is only around 80% fit (compared to others who have had a full season) he has been good in the VFL for the last 4 games even though it has been only around the 18 disposal average. Has been tagged in a couple of the games and still only plays 70% or around that level of game time.
Do you think he'll play 100 games

I'm yet to form an opinion either way on Kav, but it seems to me that his reputation is enhanced with every time he fails to perform at AFL level. Poor performance seems to be construed as evidence that he should be playing more.

I reckon the bloke wearing #17 wouldn't mind being held to those standards.

I'm yet to form an opinion either way on Kav, but it seems to me that his reputation is enhanced with every time he fails to perform at AFL level. Poor performance seems to be construed as evidence that he should be playing more.

I think hes taken a step back in my eyes by not being able to deliver anything as the sub - I know hes not the type of player but we really could've used someone else to stand up against the tigers.
Still want to see 2-3 full games in a row before I make a call.

Melksham has been dragged through the mud on this board, but the coaches have given him a free pass for a long time which is why he cops it so hard here.

Getting a free ride for seasons on end tends to bring about different expectations.

I've got a few friends down at the western jets and they year he was drafted they had all told me they expected him to be a better player than Hoskin-Elliott who went at pick 3 that year. The only knock on him at the time was he had dodgy hamstrings and whether he could over come them or not

Remove this Banner Ad

Back