Review Goodbye to the Paddle Pop (From the jumpers anyway)

Remove this Banner Ad

With only three games to go, I thought it was time to start the final thread to discuss our jumper for the last 5 years.

It has been a fun ride, from the original shock and anger of the original change (Bowers says hi) to the Lions roar and their magnificent efforts getting the call at the AG< for the change to be completed.

Its hard to believe that in 3 weeks time this jumper will be a thing of the past and we will only be 2 or 3 months away from seeing what will be on our players backs forever more.

But lets discuss the last 5 years, and what has happened in this jumper, as we did have 1 or 2 memorable moments in this jumper.

- The miracle on grass: what a night this was, playing the mighty Geelong, being 52 points down and coming back with a McGrath win after the siren to take home the 4 points, easily my biggest moment in this jumper and a highly emotional moment.

- Winning 8 out of 10 Q-Clashes: The poor old Paddle Pop didn't say it owned a lot over its time, but it did own Gold Coast Suns, even this year when we all believed it was going to be a while before we see the Q-Clash go our way the team absolutely demolished Gold Coast in its most powerful display of 2014 alowing this jumper to have once last celebration against the enemy down the road.

- The torpedo against the Eagles: in 2012 against the odds Polkinghorn sent a 65 metre torpedo into the stands and gave us 4 points against the eagles.

It has definitely been the hardest 5 years post merger to be a supporter of the club, but this year has seen some positives signs and some exciting times ahead, Paddle Pop will still be on the polo shirts and other merchandise (Which for this I actually like the new logo) but the jumper will see the mighty Lion that was part of Fitzroy for over 40 years and saw us win three flags return.

This thread is not for looking at designs for next year, its simply a thread to say good bye to the Paddle Pop from the jumper, reminisce about this jumper and as much as it was hated, give it a send off discussing the good times (However few) and build the excitement to the return of the true lion in round 1 2015.

According to Steele, on twitter, will hopefully know more about the new jumper in October.
Certainly won't miss this fella.
As others have said (and I have before too), the 'paddlepop' head is not the worst thing and since announcing its removal from the jumper, am more happy to wear it on other merchandise. So, while the 'complete' full bodied Paddles is gone, the head will live on, and not unhappy for it to do so.

My top 5 moments from the short life of the Paddle Pop Lion:

5. Inaugural Pre-Season Premiership

Finally got some silverware in the NAB Cup of 2013, defeating Carlton in a 'home' final in Melbourne. It would be the only success the Paddle Pop saw over the journey.

Lions_500x281px.jpg

4. Browny's Farewell

334981-tlsgallerylandscape.jpg

An unforgettable upset win against North Melbourne in 2014 saw us send off the champ in style.

3. "Fevola can, he can! And the ball will, it will!"

fevola_main_alt-420x0.jpg

Many look on at Fevola's one year stint at the club with dissatisfaction, but I prefer to remember his Lions career purely for this night of jubilation. Beating Collingwood (the eventual premiers) in 2010 off the back of some last minute Fevola heroics is one of my favourite Gabba memories.

2. Pandaemonium at the Gabba

943829-james-polkinghorne.jpg

Who could forget... In 2012 we took on current ladder-leaders West Coast in what was meant to be one-way traffic. There was only a touch over 13,000 at the Gabba, but the roar the crowd made for the lunging dive by McKeever, fast kick out by Drummond and eventual 60m torpedo by Polkinghorne was comparable to an MCG blockbuster. That was some game.

1. The Miracle on Grass

McGrath_Harwood2-hero.jpg

Like this could be anything else. We've seen some incredible games at the Gabba over the last 15 years, played by some incredible teams. But for me, this game will never be topped. A 52-point comeback against eventual Preliminary finalists Geelong; 15 seconds remaining to get the ball from coast to coast; the ball ends with 200-game milestone player Ash McGrath, who kicks it from 50 after the siren. It was absolute bullshit - if it was a movie you wouldn't have believed it. Top that off with Simon Black earning 3 Brownlow votes in his games-record celebration game. Perfection.

Thank you Paddle Pop. I hate you, but God Damnit you've provided some memories. Now piss off please.

According to Steele, on twitter, will hopefully know more about the new jumper in October.
Certainly won't miss this fella.
As others have said (and I have before too), the 'paddlepop' head is not the worst thing and since announcing its removal from the jumper, am more happy to wear it on other merchandise. So, while the 'complete' full bodied Paddles is gone, the head will live on, and not unhappy for it to do so.

Spot on. The front-on Lion is actually OK to look at for logo only purposes. I also like the size of the Lion on the shirt front.

Last edited:
I've been wearing my old jumper to nets sessions and things for the past few years - it's looking a bit worse for wear. Very ratty. Can't wait to replace it!

Rally that's a fantastic post mate, well done.

The Paddlepop Years will be looked at as the recession we had to have as a football team and as an organisation. In time, we will realise that the pain and heartache of the last 5 years were a necessary precursor to the rebuilding of our club.

Sure, we didn't have success and the club certainly made a bunch of mistakes during the period. But we now have a club with Leigh Matthews on the Board, an experienced CEO at the helm, a coach who seems to have the players' support, players who are re-signing for longer term deals, Tom Rockliff as an elite midfielder and future captain, an influential supporters group, and a whole bunch of lessons learned. As bad as things still are, we are in a better place than in 2010. The time is ripe for the premiership lion to return.

Ive been holding out getting a gernsey for me my wife and my 10 month old boy. Now I know im getting 3 memberships next year I may as well get 3 new gernsies too. That should put a dint in the 12 million dollar debt haha.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. The Miracle on Grass

Like this could be anything else. We've seen some incredible games at the Gabba over the last 15 years, played by some incredible teams. But for me, this game will never be topped. A 52-point comeback against eventual Preliminary finalists Geelong; 15 seconds remaining to get the ball from coast to coast; the ball ends with 200-game milestone player Ash McGrath, who kicks it from 50 after the siren. It was absolute bullshit - if it was a movie you wouldn't have believed it. Top that off with Simon Black earning 3 Brownlow votes in his games-record celebration game. Perfection.

For me it was the number 2 game I have ever watched played by the Bears/Lions at the Gabba.

Number 1, round 15 1995 Brisbane Defeated Hawthorn by 7 Points.

Just tops the miracle on grass for me because it was such a turning point for the club and set us on course to play our first final, also is the official biggest comeback from 3 quarter time in VFL/AFL history.

But yes for the paddle pop this was number 1:)

I'm not going to miss it.

It's actually taken a bit of a gloss off some of the better moments of the last five years for mine. For me it'll always be a symbol of the arrogant, out-of-touch leaders our club has had, and by extension how we squandered some great opportunities.

I'm not going to miss it.

It's actually taken a bit of a gloss off some of the better moments of the last five years for mine. For me it'll always be a symbol of the arrogant, out-of-touch leaders our club has had, and by extension how we squandered some great opportunities.

It is the very symbol of failure, can't wait for it to be gone.

It was a decision based on marketing over tradition. Glad to see the back of it (at least from our jumpers).

Having said that there were some great moments which were covered well by the OP. The period has also seen my kids turn into Lions fans of differing degrees of passion and interest so for that reason alone I'll look back with some fondness.

For you lot it might be a symbol of failure, for me, it's a symbol of everything I've achieved in the past 5 years:

-Ditched a dud relationship
-Did every game in a season
-Moved to Brisbane
-Started doing more things I love doing

For the record, unless I'm getting it signed for a charity, I'm never buying a guernsey again. I hate the things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back