Does Geelong actually exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry, but I was at our last 2 finals against Fremantle... Both of which our side was significantly worse than what it could be for the upcoming finals series (touchwood).

atm I'm firmly with Bobby_ on this, and that will remain the case until we get walloped in a final with the available 2014 team, and that is a big if.

Quite simply, we beat Hawthorn week 1 (likely opponent, but not guaranteed) and from there I'm confident we won't be 'walloped' in the finals. That will only possibly happen interstate imo.

All this doesn't mean I think we are monty's for the premiership, just that only chance we have imo of being walloped is in a final at Subi or in Sydney.
You can't say we are better in 2014 than 2013, surely.

once again, I am responding to Beth's thoughts on Geelong getting smashed in an up-and-coming final, when was the last time Geelong got smashed on the big stage under Scott's tenure?
It was quite obvious what you were implying Bobby_. Some people prefer to play the ignorant card and argue for arguments sake.

On the OP....who cares really.

The tall Poppy syndrome is in full effect and the media can't admit that they continue to be wrong about our fortunes from season to season, so out of embarrassment they either ignore us, or continue to suggest we're making up the numbers.

It's actually scary to think what this team could do if we managed to play 4 quarters of solid football.

We've beaten both Hawthorn and Fremantle in Victoria, (which is likely we'll play them again if we meet) and Sydney are overrated to the point of an agenda driven force.

Sydney have played all teams in contention at their home ground, and have had the fortune of playing the also-rans away from home, which isn't a true reflection of their caliber of season. The only exception to that statement is when they confronted Hawthorn at the MCG, and we all know what happened that night.

Let the media play their own game, we'll play ours.

Read what I said again. this relates to our previous 2 finals vs Fremantle, which was in response to your comment quoting the 2012 elimination final progress score

I would argue, strongly, that a side with Hawkins in it and seemingly much fitter than last year (2014 finals) is better than a QF final where he is a late withdrawal, and Walker is our main forward target.

Not to mention we had virtually no ruckmen fit and had to go in with Blicavs (7 hitouts), Vardy (6) vs Sandilands and Clarke who combined for 50 hitouts... surely McIntosh and/or Simpson improve us in this area also.

So yes I can say our side which lined up in last years QF is worse than the lineup which could materialise in 3 weeks time.

Last edited:
A decent ruckman - tick
A fully fit Hawkins - tick
Better win/loss ratio - tick
A cohesive defensive unit - tick
A fresh list - tick
We're miles ahead both in preparation and performance to where we were at this stage last year.

I would say our current best is better than 2013 but we've been less consistent producing it than last year. We have a fit (until now) Hawkins and an actual ruck structure, but we've also ridden our luck pretty hard so far. Recent injury concerns for SJ, Hawk and Bartel make me feel like the coin has been tossed in the air for us and we're waiting to see which side it lands on. I tend to approach each game this year with cautious optimism but a slight sense of impending doom. Could easily see us going out in a PF again, which if we are brutally honest would be a very, very good result considering where our list is at.

We have the runs on the board thus far, but honestly I feel kind of like having seen an opener score a double hundred but having also given up 5 chances along the way that were grassed. We still had to make the runs to get the unbeaten 200 but it has not been chanceless.

Funny, as Wisden will recall the chances offered up but thats about it. Everyone else with just remember the 200.

Im very excited as our best is good enough to win, ( think David Warner / Adam Gilchrist) in full flight) but we just have not put it all together for a full game.

As such, the lid is still very on. Im happy with that too. Let them eat their Freo and Hawks flavored cake.

2nd at end of H/A season is fine for the same team that was too old and too slow.. in 2011 and are clearly, still VERY relevant.

Oh, and they'd like us to not exist. WE have been around WAY too long for their liking…

GO Catters

Sorry, but I was at our last 2 finals against Fremantle... Both of which our side was significantly worse than what it could be for the upcoming finals series (touchwood).

atm I'm firmly with Bobby_ on this, and that will remain the case until we get walloped in a final with the available 2014 team, and that is a big if.

Quite simply, we beat Hawthorn week 1 (likely opponent, but not guaranteed) and from there I'm confident we won't be 'walloped' in the finals. That will only possibly happen interstate imo.

All this doesn't mean I think we are monty's for the premiership, just that only chance we have imo of being walloped is in a final at Subi or in Sydney.

Thats the Big Proviso - all bets are off to Saturday night

I think its great where playing Hawthorn Saturday - because if the team is going to be found out badly ( given the iffy form) then it will happen Saturday - rather than say playing StKilda and Brisbane - then get walloped in the 1st final

I thought we'd be better this year than last.
And if you told me at round 5 that our injury list is like it currently is (healthy) I definitely would have expected us to be better.

Something hasn't quite clicked. Yet.

Thats the Big Proviso - all bets are off to Saturday night

I think its great where playing Hawthorn Saturday - because if the team is going to be found out badly ( given the iffy form) then it will happen Saturday - rather than say playing StKilda and Brisbane - then get walloped in the 1st final
I for one don't think we will be walloped week 1 if it's against Hawthorn, recent history and their spluttering form would suggest it will be close again.

Against Sydney in Sydney however...Reasonable possiblilty.

The tall Poppy syndrome is in full effect and the media can't admit that they continue to be wrong about our fortunes from season to season, so out of embarrassment they either ignore us, or continue to suggest we're making up the numbers.

Disagree totally. For one thing, we're not the tall poppy anymore. Haven't been for 2 full seasons now, and possibly a 3rd.

It doesn't matter what the media think, I for one embrace flying under the radar. Was mentioned in passing somewhere that we like Richmond this week posted 7 wins in a row, have a look at the media difference in the two. The media hype doesn't win you games.

Freo beat Hawks and they are the in team with headlines everywhere saying "Back in town" or "Freo un stoppable" yet we beat Freo and are sitting equal top but nothing, I repeat nothing about Geelong anywhere. There's even more about Richmond "possibly" playing finals.

who-gives-a-sheeit.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A decent ruckman - tick
A fully fit Hawkins - tick
Better win/loss ratio - tick
A cohesive defensive unit - tick
A fresh list - tick
We're miles ahead both in preparation and performance to where we were at this stage last year.

The win/loss ratio is identical.

Win/loss record and percentage after 20 games in 2013: 16-4-0, 136.4% (2nd on ladder)
Win/loss record and percentage after 20 games in 2014: 16-4-0, 112.8% (2nd on ladder)

Record against Top 4 teams in 2013 during home and away: 5 wins, 0 losses
Record against Top 4 teams in 2014 during home and away (so far): 2 wins, 2 losses

At Sportsbet:

Hawthorn1.66 -
Geelong2.25

I don't see it that way, don't give a rats toss bag what the punters think.

Given it's likely we will play them in the first final I don't think it's going to be a conventional hit out. SJ is already going to miss and I wouldn't be surprised if Hawkins is given a week off as well. Wouldn't be betting until the teams come out Thursday.

I would say our current best is better than 2013 but we've been less consistent producing it than last year. We have a fit (until now) Hawkins and an actual ruck structure, but we've also ridden our luck pretty hard so far. Recent injury concerns for SJ, Hawk and Bartel make me feel like the coin has been tossed in the air for us and we're waiting to see which side it lands on. I tend to approach each game this year with cautious optimism but a slight sense of impending doom. Could easily see us going out in a PF again, which if we are brutally honest would be a very, very good result considering where our list is at.

Yep I agree, our list is better, mainly due to being in a good injury path. Last year, even Selwood was struggling. Hawkins was totally spent, and our ruck was terrible.

We are in a better position.

Freo beat Hawks and they are the in team with headlines everywhere saying "Back in town" or "Freo un stoppable" yet we beat Freo and are sitting equal top but nothing, I repeat nothing about Geelong anywhere. There's even more about Richmond "possibly" playing finals.

We didn't beat Freo, they lost with a poor kick after the final siren, and we only beat Carlton because of a soft free given to Bundy. I think those results compared to Feo's win over Hawthorn, and the rise of Richmond is not screaming "powerhouse" deserving all the headlines. I think this time the media has got it right. The Cats still have a lot to prove and if we beat hawthorn next week then you can expect some headlines to make you feel good.

Disagree totally. For one thing, we're not the tall poppy anymore. Haven't been for 2 full seasons now, and possibly a 3rd.
When you have a side who dominated the competition for the best part of 5 years, and proceeded to win 3 premierships, then have them remain at the upper echelon of the competition. (yes, in case you haven't noticed we're second with a 16-4 record) people tend to become a bit disenchanted with the situation, which is where the term 'tall poppy syndrome' takes effect.

Besides that, I'm now of the firm belief that a number of people on this board have also taken a vested interest in the general consensus of the media, and have turned themselves in negative Nellies. Either that or they're unwilling to look at the bigger picture.

We'll win the premiership in 2014, then get written off again next year.

What you'll witness next season from the majority of the public and media is pure hatred and envy. You haven't seen anything yet.

I do apologise for being a negative nelly but I dont mind being ignored, simply because I genuinely fear what Haw/Freo/Syd are going to do to us in a final. So everyone look over there!

I feel much the same way.

Even if we beat the Dawks on Saturday night I would not be confident of beating them in the finals. Too much history.

It doesn't matter what the media think, I for one embrace flying under the radar. Was mentioned in passing somewhere that we like Richmond this week posted 7 wins in a row, have a look at the media difference in the two. The media hype doesn't win you games.
Never liked the under the radar.
We may have needed the lid in 07, but not now. The club is too experienced.

Would like to see us playing well enough to deserve being talked up though.

Never liked the under the radar.
We may have needed the lid in 07, but not now. The club is too experienced.

Would like to see us playing well enough to deserve being talked up though.

I agree, but as much as we are not flying we haven't done a lot wrong recently. Freo got hold of us early in the year and last week we kept them at arms length for 3/4 before fading out in the last. We beat North fairly convincingly. Port who also took us apart earlier in the year are no longer the threat they looked like unless they turn it around quickly. Sydney is the one side that I think we are going to struggle to beat.

I honestly think the 'coolness' of the media is more due to the fact we don't smash anyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back