Does Geelong actually exist?

Remove this Banner Ad

We've just had another thread on the fact that David King and Wayne Carey have both written articles in the last couple of weeks saying Geelong is in contention for the premiership. So it's not like the media is completely ignoring us.

And some people in that other thread were worried that they might have put the mozz on us with that attention, or with King's poor analytical skills that might mean we're no chance for the flag.

I'm firmly in the camp of wanting to fly under the radar, and also, given the number of close, scrappy wins we've had this season, I think it's fair that the jury is still out on how well we'll perform in finals.

What do you think will be the outcome, rather than what should happen?
Mate, I honestly don't know what both clubs will do with regards to selection etc.

History suggests to me that the Cats will go for the kill.
I don't know what the Hawks will do.

I am a bit nervous that the Hawks are actually a step above us, and the injuries won't bother them.

The win/loss ratio is identical.

Win/loss record and percentage after 20 games in 2013: 16-4-0, 136.4% (2nd on ladder)
Win/loss record and percentage after 20 games in 2014: 16-4-0, 112.8% (2nd on ladder)

Record against Top 4 teams in 2013 during home and away: 5 wins, 0 losses
Record against Top 4 teams in 2014 during home and away (so far): 2 wins, 2 losses
Yeah. But it feels better. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, I honestly don't know what both clubs will do with regards to selection etc.

History suggests to me that the Cats will go for the kill.
I don't know what the Hawks will do.

I am a bit nervous that the Hawks are actually a step above us, and the injuries won't bother them.
Win lose or draw, bank on it.

We pulled back a bit with Carlton. No disrespect to Carlton, but we did not pull out all the stops. Hawthorn were definitely NOT geared up for Freo. They arer g etting ready for us. Expect a mini final.

After the Sydney thrashing I was pessimistic of our chances this year. Just hoped our young'ns would get better for next year. But we are back in the swing, and if I know Scott, he will be salivating for this game. He will want to destroy the Hawks.

Win lose or draw, bank on it.

We pulled back a bit with Carlton. No disrespect to Carlton, but we did not pull out all the stops. Hawthorn were definitely NOT geared up for Freo. They arer g etting ready for us. Expect a mini final.

After the Sydney thrashing I was pessimistic of our chances this year. Just hoped our young'ns would get better for next year. But we are back in the swing, and if I know Scott, he will be salivating for this game. He will want to destroy the Hawks.

On one hand, CS and the boys would like to register a win just to get a small mental edge on the Hawks.

But then CS apparently said they would 'hold some things back', which suggests a longer term view.

No matter who loses, missing players and an eye on the finals will be claimed as the reason why.

On one hand, CS and the boys would like to register a win just to get a small mental edge on the Hawks.

But then CS apparently said they would 'hold some things back', which suggests a longer term view.

No matter who loses, missing players and an eye on the finals will be claimed as the reason why.
I guess if we know we're holding back and lose by a small margin, thus gifting the Hawks the 4 points and keeping them where we want them on the ladder, that would be better in the minds of the players than winning by a small margin knowing the Hawks have had a few things stacked against them before the first bounce.
Having said that, there are enough players who must detest the HFC, and who will want to win at all costs. And enough supporters baying for blood ;)

I guess if we know we're holding back and lose by a small margin, thus gifting the Hawks the 4 points and keeping them where we want them on the ladder, that would be better in the minds of the players than winning by a small margin knowing the Hawks have had a few things stacked against them before the first bounce.
Having said that, there are enough players who must detest the HFC, and who will want to win at all costs. And enough supporters baying for blood ;)

Agree.

But the Hawks will claim they're holding a few things back too, so it's mind games and jostling for strategic advantage over the next few weeks.

Trouble is, either side, or both, could become so focused and intent on the other that they fail to adequately prepare for other opponents in the finals.

Agree.

But the Hawks will claim they're holding a few things back too, so it's mind games and jostling for strategic advantage over the next few weeks.

Trouble is, either side, or both, could become so focused and intent on the other that they fail to adequately prepare for other opponents in the finals.
Well the Freo-o-o ites are claiming that Lyin knows he has our measure after the last game. Ho hum. What will be will be, but I don't think so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back