American journalist beheaded

Remove this Banner Ad

We should get over there now and engage these animals and wipe out as many as we can while there out in the open.
Stop saying 'we'. It wont be you enlisting to kill and die. It will be other people.

Surely moderate Muslims would support that if there being targeted as well.
Many would know that a ground invasion is the last thing that would help.

I never suggested a large scale invasion.

It's a low scale guerrilla war that's required, and the ADF and other nations have assets more than capable of meeting ISIS on those terms.

All the Iraq factions, plus all the Syrian govt factions plus all the Syrian rebel factions which aren't IS or Al-Nursa will do all the low level, long term guerilla warfare we could ever want, certainly do it for longer than short term thinking Western govts and society can stomach.

The best the US/West can do is use a 'light touch', working with the various factions/tribes, special forces troops in small numbers/small groups co-ordinating and guiding airstrikes (the numbers are so small they really don't need our help). Supply the locals with small arms/light weapons (cheap for the US), and let them grind on with IS. It keeps the focus off the US and IS are so crazy they alienate almost every muslim on the planet, including most of the ones who hate the US/West/Christianity/everone other than their own particular faction of Islam.

There's Islamist, and then there's plain farkin crazy nutjob behaviour. We just need to be patient and let IS continue to do their thing. It's not costing us much money, or much life, just need to be patient.

It's like saying there are some pretty horrific verses in the Old Testament, therefore all Jews are violent extremists.

The way to deaden the influence of religion is to ignore it, restrict its influence and bring people into the modern world, and you do that by making the modern world an attractive place for them to be.

The problems of the Middle East are as much about poor governance (in many aspects) as they are about religion.

There is a lot of violence in the Old Testament, the difference is that most of it was caused by God himself. And how can you say that all Jews are violent extremist when history shows that this has not been the case, even with all the persecution they have received over the centuries. Jews have a long history of integrating pretty well into what every society and culture they have happened to find themselves (maybe too well, but that is another discussion). So really your comparison in nonsensical. And it is frightening that so many think this way.

So by putting our head in the sand it will all go away? Nice plan:thumbsu:

And to your last point, with Islam you can not separate governance from religion, they are all part of the same totalitarian ideology, hence the problems in the Middle East.

There is a lot of violence in the Old Testament, the difference is that most of it was caused by God himself. And how can you say that all Jews are violent extremist when history shows that this has not been the case, even with all the persecution they have received over the centuries. Jews have a long history of integrating pretty well into what every society and culture they have happened to find themselves (maybe too well, but that is another discussion). So really your comparison in nonsensical. And it is frightening that so many think this way.

I'm not saying that - I'm saying people could say that, the same way they sam that about Islam.

So by putting our head in the sand it will all go away? Nice plan:thumbsu:

Again, not what I'm saying. I'm saying that reducing the influence of religion by providing a modern alternative is the key. It's not as much fun as bombing, granted, but more effective in the long run.

And to your last point, with Islam you can not separate governance from religion, they are all part of the same totalitarian ideology, hence the problems in the Middle East.

If you really think that all Middle Eastern governments share the same ideology, just please tell me you're not working for DFAT.

Surely moderate Muslims would support that if there being targeted as well.

I dont think so, Muslims will support fellow Muslims even if they are extreme, before supporting crusading infadels. A large number of Middle Eastern Muslims blame the west for their current plight and place in the world, getting more invloved will not help matters.

I dont think so, Muslims will support fellow Muslims even if they are extreme, before supporting crusading infadels. A large number of Middle Eastern Muslims blame the west for their current plight and place in the world, getting more invloved will not help matters.
You think God 'himself' actually caused violence? Am I reading that right?

So much hypocrisy and or short term memory problems afoot....

If Afghanistan was considered the 'just' war, then what is now the issue with confronting ISIS?

Just as much of a root and staging post in need of being cauterised I would of thought.

You need to do a little more reading. Here are the highlights:
  • Noahs Flood: Gen 7:23- God killed entire world population except Noah and his family
  • God killed a million Ethiopians: 2 Chr 14:9-14
  • God kills all firstborn Egyptian children: Ex 12:29-30
  • God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah: Gen 19:24
  • God kills with hail: Ex 9:25
  • God burns 250 people to death for burning incense: Num 16:35
  • God kills 14,700 for complaining about God's killings: Num 16:49
  • God killed Eli's sons and 34,000 Israelite soldiers: 1 Sam 2:25, 4:11
Here is a quote from the main man himself.

"See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand. I lift my hand to heaven and declare: As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, while my sword devours flesh: the blood of the slain and the captives, the heads of the enemy leaders. Deuteronomy 32.39-42

Biblical estimate that God killed between 2.5 to 25 Million people in the Old Testament.

That is a lot of violence to me.

Last edited:
  • Noahs Flood: Gen 7:23- God killed entire world population except Noah and his family

"See now that I myself am He! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand. I lift my hand to heaven and declare: As surely as I live forever, when I sharpen my flashing sword and my hand grasps it in judgment, I will take vengeance on my adversaries and repay those who hate me. I will make my arrows drunk with blood, while my sword devours flesh: the blood of the slain and the captives, the heads of the enemy leaders. Deuteronomy 32.39-42

Biblical estimate that Gold killed between 2.5 to 25 Million people in the Old Testament.

Are you taking the p1ss?

Are you claiming 'God' has killed people?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's over simplifying it beyond belief.

Is it?

Or has the Iraq cluster truck just now prevented us from doing what we would of done and seen ourselves just in doing, prior to that?

Children are being systematically beheaded for christs sake.

If we are gonna go in for oil, we should go in for that.

Reading these parts literally puts you in the same category as those other fanatics.

I still think you're taking the p1ss.
Why, reading the Bible automatically makes me a fanatic? I never said I believe them, because I certainly dont.

I was making the the point that God is the most violent person in the Old Testament. Where in the Qur'an, Muhammad is commanding his followers to commit violence against non-believers. Can you see the difference?

Why, reading the Bible automatically makes me a fanatic? I never said I believe them, because I certainly dont.

I was making the the point that God is the most violent person in the Old Testament. Where in the Qur'an, Muhammad is commanding his followers to commit violence against non-believers. Can you see the difference?
Is it your belief God killed all the people mentioned in the OT?

Biblical estimate that God killed between 2.5 to 25 Million people in the Old Testament.

That is a lot of violence to me.

That God's a bit of a bastard.

No, I believe the OT is complete fiction and a just a rehash or previous myths and beliefs handed down from other cultures.

I was originally responding to another poster who was comparing the Koran to the Old Testament in regards to their violent content.

His point is more that the violence in the Bible is mostly metaphorical or, if you want to take it literally, out of peoples hands either way. God will kill all the Egyptians as opposed to you should kill all the Egyptians kind of a message, whereas the Koran's violence is in the real world.

The message that "If you mess around God is going to kick your ass" isn't exactly a healthy one, but it's a lot less problematic than "If people mess around you should kick your ass".

That's the point though....you can't and will never have Islam without the barbarians - it's not like Christianity or other religions where you will have your share of nutjobs but there at the back of the bus.
Really? Pretty sure those drone strikes that only ever kill 30 innocent people and never more (most of you know the reason for "30") are controlled by a predominantly "Christian" nation.

Violence is not beholden to one particular religion - they all have blood on their hands. Extremism is a cancer to global society. period.

that execution video terrified me because it didn't look anything like an execution video. shot in HD from multiple angles, no screams of Allah akbar, no large group of men standing around with AK47's, the gruesome parts edited out etc. etc.

i wonder if Mr Foley had been successfully brainwashed and perhaps believed what he said, or if he was threatened with torture. either way, his speech before his death was bone chilling.

who was the captured man at the end? they showed another prisoner and said "the fate of this next citizen is in your hands"

The full video he gives some stern advice to his brother who is in the airforce. Before his death he spoke like a converted muslim extremist... I wonder if it is actually true he got killed (i havent seen any video of him actually getting beheaded)
I'd say it's pretty clear the other hostages were being threatened too.
As to whether it's actually true... plz.
I never suggested a large scale invasion.

It's a low scale guerrilla war that's required, and the ADF and other nations have assets more than capable of meeting ISIS on those terms.
http://warontherocks.com/2014/08/dont-bs-the-american-people-about-iraq-syria-and-isil/
http://thehill.com/policy/defense/211597-mccain-graham-call-for-us-to-arm-syrian-rebels

Here that? We are a better place because of ISIS ( according to senior american politicians), because of these beheadings and atrocities, as it is helping keep Iranians down.
John McCain and Linsey Graham. You have no idea what you're talking about. Please refrain from commenting on international affairs, it's embarrassing.
that execution video terrified me because it didn't look anything like an execution video. shot in HD from multiple angles, no screams of Allah akbar, no large group of men standing around with AK47's, the gruesome parts edited out etc. etc.

i wonder if Mr Foley had been successfully brainwashed and perhaps believed what he said, or if he was threatened with torture. either way, his speech before his death was bone chilling.

who was the captured man at the end? they showed another prisoner and said "the fate of this next citizen is in your hands"
See above.

Really? Pretty sure those drone strikes that only ever kill 30 innocent people and never more (most of you know the reason for "30") are controlled by a predominantly "Christian" nation.

Violence is not beholden to one particular religion - they all have blood on their hands. Extremism is a cancer to global society. period.

Perhaps.

I know where the cancer has metastasised the worst though.