List Mgmt. 2015 general list discussion and speculation - PLEASE START NEW THREAD ON BREAKING NEWS

How did you rate Geelong's trade and free agency period?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristian Jaksch set to tell Greater Western Sydney he wants to return to Melbourne

HOMESICK Melbourne key tall Kristian Jaksch will tell Greater Western Sydney he is coming home in the days after Round 23, sparking an immediate bidding war.

The Herald Sun understands the 195cm swingman has already made clear to coach Leon Cameron he wants out but will officially request a trade in his season-ending exit interview.

Carlton will be a keen suitor but the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda are also crying out for a young key forward.

Geelong and Hawthorn could also emerge as contenders, with the Hawks having form after plucking Jack Gunston from Adelaide as he was ready to hit stride.

Every Victorian club has inquired about Jaksch to his manager Matt Bain, of Stride Management, but none has emerged as the frontrunner.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...urn-to-melbourne/story-fni5f7qp-1227033731615

Jacsch will have plenty talking to him , and GWS will probably hope he is willing to go to Melb or Saints or Dogs. One trade Andre proposed sounded very "Roos" Melb give P2 and get Jacsch and P4 , then they start talking to Sydney about Mitchell.

He would be the highest rated tall player since Hawkins if he was on our list. For us to get him it would cost a pick late R1 with icing coming back , early R2 imo.

Gets down to who he wants to play for, cause if GWS do not deal Saints and Melb being below them changes it from previous years. They will take him PS no doubt.

Jacsch will have plenty talking to him , and GWS will probably hope he is willing to go to Melb or Saints or Dogs. One trade Andre proposed sounded very "Roos" Melb give P2 and get Jacsch and P4 , then they start talking to Sydney about Mitchell.

He would be the highest rated tall player since Hawkins if he was on our list. For us to get him it would cost a pick late R1 with icing coming back , early R2 imo.

Gets down to who he wants to play for, cause if GWS do not deal Saints and Melb being below them changes it from previous years. They will take him PS no doubt.

Do you see him playing forward or back TC?

Do you see him playing forward or back TC?

Have not seen him (much) in GWS colours , my memory of him in U18's was that he reminded me of Roughead (Haw). I think he is the type of player you get in on talent , you add the skill if required...more than a McCartin or a Patton say who have the footy skill. I doubt he would be a guy who would come into our side straight away 2015 , but a different club , a winning side who knows.

Gorringe? Nicholls? Clarke? The GC have too many...
And as you can see Gorringe is their 3rd choice, the other 2 being injured.. again!

Just opened 1 eye and seen that you actually list Clarke, umm wrong Zac..?

It's Smith who was rucking beautifully 4 GC b4 blowing a knee, never really showed that this season but may have been a limited prep. TNic was also building nicely b4 the dreaded knee struck, Dan tries very hard but doesn't have the natural ability of the other 2..

Last edited:
Kristian Jaksch set to tell Greater Western Sydney he wants to return to Melbourne

HOMESICK Melbourne key tall Kristian Jaksch will tell Greater Western Sydney he is coming home in the days after Round 23, sparking an immediate bidding war.

The Herald Sun understands the 195cm swingman has already made clear to coach Leon Cameron he wants out but will officially request a trade in his season-ending exit interview.

Carlton will be a keen suitor but the Western Bulldogs and St Kilda are also crying out for a young key forward.

Geelong and Hawthorn could also emerge as contenders, with the Hawks having form after plucking Jack Gunston from Adelaide as he was ready to hit stride.

Every Victorian club has inquired about Jaksch to his manager Matt Bain, of Stride Management, but none has emerged as the frontrunner.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...urn-to-melbourne/story-fni5f7qp-1227033731615

Good, let's get this done. Fits a need. Can play at both ends. Is young.

Given a choice between him and Frawley, I'd rather chase Jaksch despite the fact we'll need to deal for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And as you can see Gorringe is their 3rd choice, the other 2 being injured.. again!

Just opened 1 eye and seen that you actually list Clarke, umm wrong Zac..?

It's Smith who was rucking beautifully 4 GC b4 blowing a knee, never really showed that this season but may have been a limited prep. TNic was also building nicely b4 the dreaded knee struck, Dan tries very hard but doesn't have the natural ability of the other 2..

Ha yes my bad Smith, Clarke...all too generic!

First up 10lana, some really good posting there.

Well reasoned and thought out. It made for some excellent reading that made me sit back and think. :thumbsu:

The only thing I disagree with is your comment about Varcoe but, since uttering his name has the ability to change a thread's direction (see the above few posts) in a way that puts Billie Smedts famed agility to shame, I'll not pursue it further (there are plenty of other threads I can do that in but for the sake of this thread I'll park it).

I did want to echo and add some thoughts on this quote...

If the AFL tried to change the way the draft was run we'd see some vocal opponents.

Try and make the draft, say, a "cycle" (where every club gets the #1 pick every 18 years), and we'd see people argue that isn't fair, especially if a club is anchored to the foot of the ladder and had its #1 selection a couple of years prior.

Early picks give a club the best opportunity to select the cream of the crop. Draft position isn't a guarantee of "making it" but more really good players, in my mind, will have come from the top 20 or 30 over the years (that could be some homework for me to do to confirm). There will always be outliers and there will also be players inside the top 30 that don't make it but it sounds about right.

While Wells & Co. should be commended for their ability to find value with later picks I have voiced my thoughts that having to use more later picks probably isn't a sustainable model for success over time.

Geelong has defied conventional wisdom by having a long period at the top (remove the abnormality of 2006 and it dates back to 2004 and is still going) but I do think we have come back to the pack now when compared to '07-'11.

Part of that success means we don't have the same accessibility to top end talent over time. That will (should) see us slip down the ladder.

That is how it is designed after all.

With recruiting becoming more and more critical to clubs there is a lot more work being put in meaning it is trickier to find those "hidden gems" for yourself.

The other thing to keep in mind about having early draft picks; it gives a club a wider pool to choose from.

As Turbs mentioned regarding Wines & Toumpas, sometimes too many choices can play a bit of havoc and make a club look a bit foolish (Watts over Naitanui is another that comes to mind when discussing the Dees) but that is where the recruiters earn their crust and a club's development kicks in.

Given a choice, I think most recruiters and clubs would like to have their first pick inside the top 10 (or 20).

While there may not be much difference between 1-5 and 6-10 (or even 11-20) there is a difference between them and a kid picked at 50.

Consider last year - the top 10 was Boyd, Kelly, Billings, Bontempelli, Kolodjashnij, Scharenberg, Aish, McDonald, Salem and Freeman.

40-50 was Kennedy-Harris, Kolodashnij, Fuller, Barrass, Aliir, Harvey, Knight, Brown, Main and Gordon (with a pass from GWS).

I know which bucket I'd prefer to pick from (despite there being some decent players in that 40-50 range and despite the fact not all of those top tenners may work out).

The successes are more likely from the early picks.

In 2012 the top 10 was Whitfield, O'Rourke, Plowman, Toumpas, Stringer, Macrae, Wines, Mayes, Vlastuin and Daniher (a F/S who was tipped to be top 5).

40-50 was Murdoch (Brodie), Wood, McDonough, Saunders, Marsh, Colledge, Membery, Wilkins, Kent, Hunter (F/S) and Prudden.

In '11 names like Patton, Winguard, Tyson, Coniglio, Buntine and Longer can be found in the top 10 while the best names I can come up with between 40 and 50 is Jordan Murdoch and Sam Rowe.

The same trend appears in 2010 (although Luke Parker at 40 seems incredible now) with the top 10 of the draft looking to have the guys most likely.

Even in 2009 with Christensen, Stratton and Vardy aiding the 40-50 brigade the better bets appear early (injury hurting Trengove, Morabito and Rohan).

Not an exact science but the misses at the top end appear to be getting fewer and fewer in recent times.

Sorry for the longwinded ramble but it is a topic I enjoy discussing.

Perhaps I should have just wrote "+1" after the quote. :)

+1

Best guess?
Hard to say given his lack of exposure.

Wouldn't mind knowing the reasons behind him not getting much of a go up there. I don't remember hearing about too many injuries so was it work rate or form?

He'll be 20 by the end of the year so he still has youth on his side. He was pretty well regarded when he was drafted but his lack of game time in a young, inexperienced outfit is something to query, especially in defence.

I keep coming back to Hunt (who seems on the outer right now) as part of a deal. Right age (24), has over 50 games experience and would be ready to go from Round 1.

But I don't know if GWS really needs him.

If they want picks they'll push for something highish I'd imagine.

He was pick 12 from memory yeah? Again I can see the Pies utensil-blocking us with pick 8 or whatever they'll end up with.

He was pick 12 from memory yeah? Again I can see the Pies utensil-blocking us with pick 8 or whatever they'll end up with.
Yeah, and he is only in his second year. GWS probably can still push the "potential" aspect of him despite not getting much of a run.

I threw up Hunt but Hunt alone wouldn't get it done.

We'd need to bundle but they have talent across the board which makes life tricky if it becomes a bidding war.

Hard to say given his lack of exposure.

Wouldn't mind knowing the reasons behind him not getting much of a go up there. I don't remember hearing about too many injuries so was it work rate or form?

He'll be 20 by the end of the year so he still has youth on his side. He was pretty well regarded when he was drafted but his lack of game time in a young, inexperienced outfit is something to query, especially in defence.

I keep coming back to Hunt (who seems on the outer right now) as part of a deal. Right age (24), has over 50 games experience and would be ready to go from Round 1.

But I don't know if GWS really needs him.

If they want picks they'll push for something highish I'd imagine.

Im thinking that by himself he is around late R1, early R2. Our history would say we would try to get it don with our R2 and a player. How many picks do GWS want anyway? Andree over on their board used him in a deal with Melb , similar to last year to get their p2.
Id say it will get down to who he wants to play for , if he just goes into the PS Saints or the Dees will take him ... a bit different now GWS are not the bottom side.

Im thinking that by himself he is around late R1, early R2. Our history would say we would try to get it don with our R2 and a player. How many picks do GWS want anyway? Andree over on their board used him in a deal with Melb , similar to last year to get their p2.
Id say it will get down to who he wants to play for , if he just goes into the PS Saints or the Dees will take him ... a bit different now GWS are not the bottom side.
I was thinking our first rounder might get it done but I reckon we'd want to remain inside the top 25 if possible with the talent floating around the draft this year.

Our first rounder and Hunt for Jaksch and a pick in the early to mid 20s perhaps?

Just very hard to say.

When you try and work out these sort of deals you can see why Frawley is a simpler option.

All we have to do is convince him we're the club for him, make room on the list and have the money to satisfy him.

Their pick will be used before trade week to get their father son Moore.

I didn't think about the PS draft, but if he has preferred club that isn't a bottom feeder they are going to to want a decent offer considering the number of clubs that would be after him. They would probably want something similar to what they got for Taylor Adams.

I was thinking our first rounder might get it done but I reckon we'd want to remain inside the top 25 if possible with the talent floating around the draft this year.

Our first rounder and Hunt for Jaksch and a pick in the early to mid 20s perhaps?

Just very hard to say.

When you try and work out these sort of deals you can see why Frawley is a simpler option.

All we have to do is convince him we're the club for him, make room on the list and have the money to satisfy him.

From their perspective I don't think that Hunt would be worth much for them in a trade, Our round anywhere from pick 14-18 would probably be enough value in a straight swap, as long as someone doesn't outbid us which is highly possible.

From their perspective I don't think that Hunt would be worth much for them in a trade, Our round anywhere from pick 14-18 would probably be enough value in a straight swap, as long as someone doesn't outbid us which is highly possible.
Agree with that.

Just trying to keep us with an earlyish pick if possible.

Problem is the guys we'd be prepared to move wouldn't really be worth that (hence trying to bundle).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back