Certified Legendary Thread Race for the flag, in squiggly lines

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the old saying goes defense wins you premierships which is usually true but its also much harder to keep up a full defensive effort for the whole 4 quarters against a high scoring side like Hawthorn, you have a lapse and a few mins later you can find yourself 5 goals down.

Its no coincidence all those cups are around a balance of ~70-75 offense and 65-70 defense its a sweetspot in the scheme of things.

When do the tips get released for round 23??
The interactive squiggle generates them at noon on Tuesdays. But you can get a sneak preview by using its predictor, under "Show Details..." Which today looks like this:

Collingwood.png
Collingwood 69 - 107 Hawthorn
Hawthorn.png

0.11 wins - 0.89 wins

Carlton.png
Carlton 78 - 91 Essendon
Essendon.png

0.35 wins - 0.65 wins

Geelong.png
Geelong 99 - 56 Brisbane Lions
Brisbane%20Lions.png

0.95 wins - 0.05 wins

North%20Melbourne.png
North Melbourne 98 - 48 Melbourne
Melbourne.png

0.97 wins - 0.03 wins

Sydney.png
Sydney 89 - 56 Richmond
Richmond.png

0.85 wins - 0.15 wins

Fremantle.png
Fremantle 81 - 62 Port Adelaide
Port%20Adelaide.png

0.71 wins - 0.29 wins

Gold%20Coast.png
Gold Coast 83 - 89 West Coast
West%20Coast.png

0.42 wins - 0.58 wins

Adelaide.png
Adelaide 128 - 67 St Kilda
St%20Kilda.png

0.97 wins - 0.03 wins

Western%20Bulldogs.png
Western Bulldogs 96 - 82 Greater Western Sydney
Greater%20Western%20Sydney.png

0.66 wins - 0.34 wins
Interesting that the predictor gives Richmond a 15% chance of winning in Sydney, which is exactly what Klaus said a month ago in his visionary thread about the Tigers making finals.

We're heading into uncharted territory as far as premierships go but I like it. A nice blend of our 2012 attack and our 2005 defence.

Well the old saying goes defense wins you premierships which is usually true but its also much harder to keep up a full defensive effort for the whole 4 quarters against a high scoring side like Hawthorn, you have a lapse and a few mins later you can find yourself 5 goals down.

Its no coincidence all those cups are around a balance of ~70-75 offense and 65-70 defense its a sweetspot in the scheme of things.

I believe Final Siren looked into that saying and found that defensive teams usually beat balanced teams but offensive teams generally beat defensive teams. Hence why most premiers are more offensive than balanced.

Round 22, 2014

From pre-season to Round 22:
Z1GhtQ9.png
Thanks again Final Siren . For Port this confirms what needed to improve and has this year. Last year in our losses we got blown away a few times. This year, even in our recent run of poor form all losses have been sub-30, with half our losses under 10 points. Attack has improved slight, but showing up our glaring remaining issue is needing another KPF to take the load off Schulz and let Westhoff free to roam at his most damaging.

Taking Offence+Defence as a total 'potency' it looks a 6 horse race with the top 4 plus Port and North. With it Sydney, Hawks as the clear favourites, Fremantle then Port, North and Geelong around the same level.

Geelong around the same position as Port on the squiggle, but showing the value of experienced players able to close out the close matches versus just lose them (Port v Essendon - 2 points and v Pies 6 points) for finishing top 4 rather than likely to be 5 - 8.

Here is a version that draws a straight line from a team's starting position before Round 1 and now:

From pre-season to Round 22:
Z1GhtQ9.png

On thing this highlights is how much ground GWS and Melbourne have made up over the course of the year. They are still bad (especially Melbourne), but there is no longer an enormous gap between those two teams and everyone else. We are getting back to something resembling a normal competition, where the worst teams are at least competitive.

Sydney's year is amazing. That's a very large gain, shifting into very impressive territory.

But it's hard to ignore all those premiership cups around Hawthorn. The Hawks have moved to their flag-winning position of 2013 like it's magnetic.

what surprises me about this is that so many teams look to have made big improvements on their starting position, yet the only teams that have declined are collingwood and st kilda (brisbane looks about even trading offence for defence).

how does this happen? i would have expected it to be more or less a zero-sum game. is it something to do with a lower scoring season and the squiggle more highly rating defensive performances?

edit: also, why do hawthorn start from where they do when their 2013 cup is around where they are now?

Last edited:
I believe Final Siren looked into that saying and found that defensive teams usually beat balanced teams but offensive teams generally beat defensive teams. Hence why most premiers are more offensive than balanced.
Actually the other way around: defensive > offensive > balanced > defensive. But I didn't analyse it properly; it's just a vague hunch. Details are here.

Hawthorn is not as offensively-focused as you might think, either, compared to high-attack teams of years gone by. It just looks like it, because this season is so defensive.

For example, in 2012, there were 7 teams with an offence above 65 and only 4 teams with a defence above 65. Just shy of two years later, the ratio is almost the reverse: there are only 3 teams with an offence above 65 and 6 teams with a defence above 65. And the high-defence teams have much stronger defences.

what surprises me about this is that so many teams look to have made big improvements on their starting position, yet the only teams that have declined are collingwood and st kilda (brisbane looks about even trading offence for defence).

how does this happen? i would have expected it to be more or less a zero-sum game. is it something to do with a lower scoring season and the squiggle more highly rating defensive performances?
The answer is far less interesting than you would hope, but it is here.

edit: also, why do hawthorn start from where they do when their 2013 cup is around where they are now?
Teams get dragged back towards the middle between seasons: see here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

please please please do an EPL one.
It wouldn't be that hard if there is a nice trove of data (results) somewhere. But I'm not sure if it would work as well for soccer because of the very low scoring. AFL has nice big scores and so you can derive good information from whether a team scores 60 points or 70 or 80. I don't follow soccer, but it seems like it only takes a little luck for a team to double or treble its score. Which would mean there is less you can learn from scorelines alone.

It wouldn't be that hard if there is a nice trove of data (results) somewhere. But I'm not sure if it would work as well for soccer because of the very low scoring. AFL has nice big scores and so you can derive good information from whether a team scores 60 points or 70 or 80. I don't follow soccer, but it seems like it only takes a little luck for a team to double or treble its score. Which would mean there is less you can learn from scorelines alone.

Agree scores would not help with Soccer.
How about the total player payments as a squiggle? That seems the best predictor in that business.

Agree scores would not help with Soccer.
How about the total player payments as a squiggle? That seems the best predictor in that business.
Maybe so, but it wouldn't be a squiggle, since there's no offence/defence. It would just be a predictive model. I'm sure there are plenty of those around for soccer already.

what about shots or shots on target? those are all recorded as stats and usually give a decent indication of a team's strength within a game. maybe incorporating a modifier that accounts for conversion rate if there's a large variance in how often certain teams score from their shots.

what about shots or shots on target? those are all recorded as stats and usually give a decent indication of a team's strength within a game. maybe incorporating a modifier that accounts for conversion rate if there's a large variance in how often certain teams score from their shots.
Here's an idea: how about they get 6 points for a goal, and one point for a near miss....

According to the squiggle it's a race between Sydney and Hawthorn for the flag. Hawks are tracking about where they were when they won last year's flag, while the Swans have improved defensively from 2012 and are slightly better offensively. Would be a terrific contest should the two sides meet in another grand final, it's set up for another classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back