Autopsy Rd23 Carlton v Essendon Post Match Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

The runner couldn't get to the players who were on the goal line because isn't the new rule that the runner isn't allowed inside the 50 if the ball is in there?

The runner couldn't get to the players who were on the goal line because isn't the new rule that the runner isn't allowed inside the 50 if the ball is in there?
Players should know what to do anyway, Wood should not of tried to gain possession near the behind line, should of just smacked it through.

Can the runner run around the outside of the boundary line to deliver a message ??

Players should know what to do anyway, Wood should not of tried to gain possession near the behind line, should of just smacked it through.

Can the runner run around the outside of the boundary line to deliver a message ??
The players thought there was 3 minutes left and didn't want to let it through for a point because it would give Essendon back the ball and they would go end to end.

If they knew how long was left they would've punched it through.

Watson had the chance to take a few more pack marks. I'm sure with a few more games under his belt and confidence he'll start grabbing them. He doesn't 'bash and crash' the pack like Casboult does but he isn't moved easily and makes pretty decent positioning. Provides a contest to get it to ground at worst. Went up against a few opponents a couple of times and got the ball to ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The players thought there was 3 minutes left and didn't want to let it through for a point because it would give Essendon back the ball and they would go end to end.

If they knew how long was left they would've punched it through.
So that has been established has it ??

Sorry but been at work and haven't caught up on everything.

Cant believe we would not have been able to get a message out there one way or another even when Tuohy was lining up.

Here we are in 2014. Everyone watching on tv knows exactly how long there is to go. The timekeepers know. Why, in the name of all that is good and holy, do we refuse to share that information with the players on the field?

Makes no sense. Just put a countdown clock out there and be done with it. Jesus.
Even most patrons at the ground are aware of how long there is to go with radio coverage.

A countdown clock would actually make the game more exciting...

Sheehan looking great.. Just needs to practice his handballing.

Surprised if the runner didn't broadcast to the group how much time was left when Gibbs was taking a shot... We may have seen more of an effort to rush it behind?
Runner should have been out telling Gibbs to make sure he scored anything, while telling the rest of the group to get ready for an Ess kick-in.

So that has been established has it ??

Sorry but been at work and haven't caught up on everything.

Cant believe we would not have been able to get a message out there one way or another even when Tuohy was lining up.
That's what mick said in the presser.

I'm amazed at Sheehan's composure!

With his maturity (23 now?), mature body, obvious elite Gaelic Football talent, and combined with the fact that he's ready to make every post a winner this time around I thought he might show a little this year - was expecting a couple of senior games with a bigger year next year. He's come along quicker than I thought and is a real bonus! What I like even more is that the younger Ciaran Byrne could well likely emulate Sheehan's feats next year! Sheehan and Byrne are both real bonuses and could prove to be gilt-edged bonuses in years to come.

With his maturity (23 now?), mature body, obvious elite Gaelic Football talent, and combined with the fact that he's ready to make every post a winner this time around I thought he might show a little this year - was expecting a couple of senior games with a bigger year next year. He's come along quicker than I thought and is a real bonus! What I like even more is that the younger Ciaran Byrne could well likely emulate Sheehan's feats next year! Sheehan and Byrne are both real bonuses and could prove to be gilt-edged bonuses in years to come.
Where bouts does Bryne play? Forward?

Watson had the chance to take a few more pack marks. I'm sure with a few more games under his belt and confidence he'll start grabbing them. He doesn't 'bash and crash' the pack like Casboult does but he isn't moved easily and makes pretty decent positioning. Provides a contest to get it to ground at worst. Went up against a few opponents a couple of times and got the ball to ground.

With more senior matches his talking with those around him will improve and he'll understand their game better; he'll gain more confidence now that he knows he belongs and he'll be able to be a little bolder in his decision-making and not always defer to senior players who are going after the same ball. A few times I noticed that when there was a loose ball he looked a little unsure if he was allowed to take possession with other more senior Carlton players around.

With more senior matches his talking with those around him will improve and he'll understand their game better; he'll gain more confidence now that he knows he belongs and he'll be able to be a little bolder in his decision-making and not always defer to senior players who are going after the same ball. A few times I noticed that when there was a loose ball he looked a little unsure if he was allowed to take possession with other more senior Carlton players around.
He also gave a couple off to senior player when he could've taken a shot himself.

I.e. When he gave it off to White when he himself was on his right side to snap.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back