Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sando is gone - he was delisted. We can not change that, it's done.

The argument isn't about sacking him or not - it's about looking art this as a positive, a negative or a neutral move.

My perspective on it is - we can not say if it's good or bad until we have more information.

If we hypothetically sign a dud like Mark Neeld - it will end up being another negative overseen byChapman but if we sign a coach who can move the playing list forward by making finals and then winning a flag will result in this being a positive but don't ask me to manufacture a positive out of nothing based on past results that have bern a negative.

That's fair enough. I'm a bit more simplistic though. I see it that we came to the conclusion that he wasn't capable of coaching us to a flag. His replacement may not, but if success is winning a flag, then that decision is positive in itself. As long as we continue to make it when the same circumstances present themselves, then we'll always be getting closer to our next flag.

So..... danger signs tomorrow?

This is bigger than Tippettgate, remember?

Absolutely agree Peter but I fail to see how all road don't point towards us appointing a novice coach?

Unless we can sign, Woosha we won't be getting a premiership coach and will be getting a novice coach.

OMG, you would rather have Woosha than an untried coach?

Woosha who was schooled under Malthouse and runs the Malthouse play book? Why not get the genuine article? Malthouse is on shaky ground at Carlton who are going nowhere.

Both are premiership coaches, but so is Sheeds, maybe we can get him? Are you one of the crowd who wanted Terry Wallace?

The game has moved on. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but if you think that Woosha is the best option it isn't an opinion I respect.

asking about the alma association with roo, did you have a chat with roo?

'no, we talk about the pub, how we play, how the club can improve, but not about sacking the coach'

'i can say it 100 different ways, it was a board decision, we'll accept it, we must stay unified as a club, were results driven'

gaz: focus will return to your contract, [cue sand interview from last year, as long as hes here ill stay]

'its ridiculous to talk about my contract, sloane and tex in same position, we love playing at the club, i love playing at the club, i love the city, i love the lcub, i love playing at the club, thats all that needs to be said, were in transition with the coach its a ridiculous time to look at the contract'

gaz:did you sit down with clarko? 'yes i did but its about the international rules'

have you spoken to any other afl clubs? 'no i havent spoken to any other clubs, any other coaches'

Then if that's what we end up with we will have failed to sell ourselves as a club with true ambition. We will indeed appear as though we are the next Richmond.

If they appoint an untried coach, then everything they have said and done this week is meaningless and they will stand humiliated.

The who and the how is a matter for them - time to walk the talk

Not really.

If they appoint the next Clarkson or Thompson - this will be an ultimate success but if they appoint the next Neeld or someone like that will be a failure.

Then if that's what we end up with we will have failed to sell ourselves as a club with true ambition. We will indeed appear as though we are the next Richmond.

If they appoint an untried coach, then everything they have said and done this week is meaningless and they will stand humiliated.

The only "proven" coach that I can see that we would have any real prospect of tying up would be Rodney Eade, and then only for the "top" job. Worth remembering he has coached teams to 19 Finals games without ever really having a Premiership list at his disposal IMO. Hard bugger too which I think we really need with our playing group at this time.

I support the decision.

The decision is fine but the next step in the equation is the positive or the negative.

Agreed. The problem is, it's one of those things you can never be sure of. It isn't black or white. So many examples of great coaches falling flat. So many examples of un-tried coaches winning premierships.

Pagan -> Carlton
Blight - > St Kilda

Roos -> Sydney
Clarkson -> Hawthorn

Of course these are easy to spot in hindsight, but when the crux comes you never never know.

Hell, Goodwin might be the next super-coach ... or he might be Neeld. Maybe we appoint Bassett and he doesn't win a game OR he becomes AFC's most successful coach. We get Lyon and we win 3 in a row with attacking footy ... sorry that last one is a bridge too far.

But do you see the problem with only making your judgements after the fact? You are giving yourself an advantage that the people that actually make these decisions never ever have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They'd have to be concerned that it looked like no one stepped up once Ablett went down. Would have been a perfect oppurtunity for a Prestia or a Bennell to stamp their name on the team, but they all seemed to srtruggle without Ablett out there.

On the Suns, they have zero depth as well. Their reserves side is dead set dreadful, Glenelg would beat them by 20 goals !!

That's fair enough. I'm a bit more simplistic though. I see it that we came to the conclusion that he wasn't capable of coaching us to a flag. His replacement may not, but if success is winning a flag, then that decision is positive in itself. As long as we continue to make it when the same circumstances present themselves, then we'll always be getting closer to our next flag.

Correct - we can move move the goal posts to suit the situation.

I don't see it that way..
Saying you won't accept mediocrity doesn't mean you will hire a quality and experienced coach no matter what..
Making tough calls that need to be made is a start..
Sacking Sando because it needed to be done was a big move, now we set out to chase the best available coach..
Then everything going forward from there revolves around excellence and not accepting mediocrity (people can say that now without the complaints, Chapman said it himself :p )

vince

were you surprised 'yes i was, i heard it was the players (jokes)'

goody? 'while he was playing at the crows he was pretty much a coach already in his final years, very happy to get him at the club etc'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back