The Law The Terrorism Files - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll hold my judgement on the legitamacy or otherwise of these raids until we see the court outcomes, but you'd certainly hope for the kind of outlay that this operation has recieved multiple convictions will be recorded. If that doesn't happen without that it difficult to see how this is anything other than expensive publicity stunt.

I would argue we need to be prepared for it.

If all it takes is 'a knife, and an iphone' then it's a matter of when not if we see our first beheading.

Then comes the inferno.

I am pretty relaxed because if it is meant to be, it will happen. you can stop organised incidents but you can never stop isolated issues.

so it is more about planning for what to do when it does eventuate.

I am pretty relaxed because if it is meant to be, it will happen. you can stop organised incidents but you can never stop isolated issues.

so it is more about planning for what to do when it does eventuate.

why are you so worked up?

Because it's insane.

A series of public beheadings on random citizens....how the hell has it gotten to this???

Not even 'Israeli'. The vast majority of Israelis have nothing (directly) to do with Mossad. It is like saying that anybody who criticises the CIA is anti-American people. Such a childish reaction.

One can criticise the CIA without having anything negative to say about Americans. Ditto criticising Mossad without saying anything about Jews/Israel.

Like I said, cut the Pavlovian dog response nonsense.
I do find it more than a little amusing that you complain about people exhibiting Pavlovian dog responses. Police operation: 'POLICE STATE!' :rolleyes:

this is the exact reason why both sides of politics sat united this morning to reassure the public, reduce fear and de-politicise the issue.
Abbott and the pro coalition media are not reassuring people

they are encouraging fear against certain groups ,e.g those who look suspicious with iPhones, etc

I would argue we need to be prepared for it.

If all it takes is 'a knife, and an iphone' then it's a matter of when not if we see our first beheading.

Then comes the inferno.
The resultant inferno would mean these groups have achieved their objectives.

My wife is scared to go to the AFL Grand Final and wants to cancel our trip to Sydney for the NRL Grand Final. This is exactly what these terrorists groups are aiming for; genuine fear and public anger.

Because it's insane.

A series of public beheadings on random citizens....how the hell has it gotten to this???
We marched in to countries we had no legal right to be in, killed civilians and overthrew Governments. Every action has a reaction. I am not at all surprised.

We marched in to countries we had no legal right to be in, killed civilians and overthrew Governments. Every action has a reaction. I am not at all surprised.

Contributing factors sure, but they would want us dead regardless.

You know your essentially using the 'she was drunk, wearing a short skirt' argument right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is more than that. It is inextricably linked to religion.

When you have a group of people, who truly believe that to die fighting in the name of their god(s) guarantees them a trip to paradise, situations like this get created.

Contributing factors sure, but they would want us dead regardless.

You know your essentially using the 'she was drunk, wearing a short skirt' argument right?
It's fair to say that while plenty of countries have been the subject of terrorist attacks for decades, we haven't been even looked at twice until the past 5 odd years, so I'm not sure that the latter half of your statement is true (or at least it was never acted upon until now).

It is more than that. It is inextricably linked to religion.

When you have a group of people, who truly believe that to die fighting in the name of their god(s) guarantees them a trip to paradise, situations like this get created.
Oh wow. Are we going to cover this all over again? Just because a group of susceptible people are brainwashed in to thinking/believing something doesn't make it the truth. I disagree with your first sentence, but agree with your second.

This.

Which is why I applaud the AFP and others for yesterday.

I don't think your average punter has a clue how ugly it would get.
I have no reservations about how ignorantly violent groups of Australians could be outside of the football and cricket seasons.

That riot window coming up could pose quite a threat to the latest marginalized minority until the apathy sets back in as the coin is tossed for the first test.

Oh wow. Are we going to cover this all over again? Just because a group of susceptible people are brainwashed in to thinking/believing something doesn't make it the truth. I disagree with your first sentence, but agree with your second.
I don't see how you could possibly agree with the second point but not the first. Anyway it is probably a topic for another thread.

I don't see how you could possibly agree with the second point but not the first. Anyway it is probably a topic for another thread.
Agreed. It's been done to death already :D

Back to the topic at hand.....

I have no reservations about how ignorantly violent groups of Australians could be outside of the football and cricket seasons.

That riot window coming up could pose quite a threat to the latest marginalized minority until the apathy sets back in as the coin is tossed for the first test.

Sections of there own community are doing the marginalising.

Don't pretend otherwise.

Because it's insane.

yeh, I agree

I think the reality is, it has always been like this. there is always an element that are disenfranchised and have the psychology to behave like this. all they are waiting for to act, is a cause.

religion bonds these disenfranchised together and the confidence that builds with groups generates the power for individuals to act. the net has obviously allowed the small number of disenfranchised here in Oz to connect with the disenfranchised globally meaning the critical mass required to act is easily generated.

unfortunately, this is going to be the equivalent of fascism v communism, the cold war, aids and every other challenge our previous generations have encountered.

Last edited:
I still remember the days of 'commies under the bed'. Got me then but not anymore.
More likely that I will get run over at a crossing than beheaded, but if it happens, I will call out my name so that those on BF know it is me.

Last night I watched this guy on Lateline:

http://www.australianoftheyear.org.au/honour-roll/?view=fullView&recipientID=300

He seems like a great role model.
Jamal Rifi needs to be supported.
Very intelligent,committed,thoughtful diplomat.Has received death threats from the headcase element and is quite likely a very real target.Phenomenal job of unifying such a disparate set of vested interest groups and remaining relevant,moderate and forceful.May well still be a future Australian of the Year.

Due that's for sure.
You may need to look the concept and process up cos I don't think it works that way.
Although you may know that already and are just having a go at being smart and provocative,which is just what the situation needs shitloads more of right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still remember the days of 'commies under the bed'. Got me then but not anymore.
More likely that I will get run over at a crossing than beheaded, but if it happens, I will call out my name so that those on BF know it is me.

I think your right.

commies under the bed was an issue but it wasn't worth losing sleep over 99.999% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back