Preview Hawks vs the COLA $wans and the man they call Juda$ - it's the big dance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My concern is if Lewis isn't 100% I'd back him more as a defensive forward than a midfielder.

If he's fit to play...he has to play in the guts....hes the only player that's managed to stop Kennedy for the past 3 years. He can't be allowed to consistently get the ball out to the runners.

All the elite kickers at Sydney get a run with( Hannebury, McVeigh, Malceski)......I'm even tempted to play Simpkin on Malceski again, he did an absurd job last time

Breust - Rohan
Roughead – Richards
Cyril – Smith
Hale – Grundy
Gunston – Rampe
Poo - Shaw
Simpkin - Malceski
Gibson - Franklin
Stratton - Goodes
Duryea – McGlynn
Lake - Tippett
Burgoyne – Parker
Birchall – Reid
Hill – Cunningham
Langford – McVeigh
Mitchell – Jack/ If they decide to tag Mitchell Bird will go to him.
Ceglar – Pyke
Lewis – Kennedy
Shiels – Hannebery
Smith - Jetta

Let's not be under any illusions. CoLA was introduced not long after Collingwood pinched Anthony Rocca from Sydney. It is, was and always was meant to be a tool to retain and attract talent. It has nothing to do with cost of living. Yes it has taken Sydney 20 odd years to figure out how to use it properly (apparently that is worlds best management - 20 years until you get it right :rolleyes:) but now they are flying with it. Given the truly national nature of AFL now it is 100% unnecessary.

Ironic isn't it, if you mention COLA, the reason $ydney are in the position they're in now, on their board you will get carded.
I want a 6 - 6 goal victory next Saturday.

Not surprising, that said we've taken them on at full strength in each of the last 5 games (and we are 4 from 5). I'd rather take them on full strength, with a full list to choose from...

...and that loss was without Mitchell and Lake in a game we lost by 3 kicks at the western suburbs shithole

We do line up well against them. It was the small forwards that got at us against Port. Think BB could come in for Cegs, and Cyril for Simkin.

Six days left .

Bleergh.

It's only Sunday but for some reason I am super calm. Distinct possibility this will change by Saturday but have enormous faith in this group.

We are lucky people supporting a team that just knows nothing else but winning.

Had an easier draw than us, beat us when we had a number of players missing, only finished higher than us with a slightly higher percentage, only away win they had of significance was Port (Port going through its slump at the time though), they don't play the MCG well and importantly, our boys will go into the game with 2012 in mind. Bring it on.

If he's fit to play...he has to play in the guts....hes the only player that's managed to stop Kennedy for the past 3 years. He can't be allowed to consistently get the ball out to the runners.

All the elite kickers at Sydney get a run with( Hannebury, McVeigh, Malceski)......I'm even tempted to play Simpkin on Malceski again, he did an absurd job last time

Breust - Rohan
Roughead – Richards
Cyril – Smith
Hale – Grundy
Gunston – Rampe
Poo - Shaw
Simpkin - Malceski
Gibson - Franklin
Stratton - Goodes
Duryea – McGlynn
Lake - Tippett
Burgoyne – Parker
Birchall – Reid
Hill – Cunningham
Langford – McVeigh
Mitchell – Jack/ If they decide to tag Mitchell Bird will go to him.
Ceglar – Pyke
Lewis – Kennedy
Shiels – Hannebery
Smith - Jetta

Yup similar strategy to the last time - hard tag/pressure on the good kickers/link players and force them to work it out to the not-so-effective kickers to move the ball forward. I think, from memory, that Kennedy may have been one we'd let them play through last time as he's not perceived to be the most effective kick going forward? thereby making life a little easier for our back group.

Had an easier draw than us, beat us when we had a number of players missing, only finished higher than us with a slightly higher percentage, only away win they had of significance was Port (Port going through its slump at the time though), they don't play the MCG well and importantly, our boys will go into the game with 2012 in mind. Bring it on.

They showed some of the last encounter on ed and derms show (s**t show by the way). Anyways, it all came back to me. Litherland started on Buddy. Schoenmakers standing Tippett. Hawks have got this.

They showed some of the last encounter on ed and derms show (s**t show by the way). Anyways, it all came back to me. Litherland started on Buddy. Schoenmakers standing Tippett. Hawks have got this.

Turned it off. Watching the Oregon v Wash State game replay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I keep thinking of the Geelong game and the win up there in 2012...Sewell loves it

The stats would suggest that Sewell has a better track record in the finals then Hodge and Mitchell. Given this may be his last season, he could come in and play well and also prove a point. He's the type of player who can respond well after being dropped. He does play well against the Swans.

Last edited:
I'm worried. In 2012 we were being swamped by the crows at the final siren and the same yesterday.

We need to get angry and play out of our skin

Port would have pushed Sydney also. They were absolutely red hot, playing with all the confidence in the world. In 2012 we were choking.

A laundry list of observations during that final 10 minutes yesterday but also a general view of the game:

1. losing contested ball even when we had a 3 on 1 advantage - in the air and on the ground
2. handballing to team mates in worse position
3. tapping the ball on with the ball being intercepted or finishing up in an opponents hands
4. fumbling lots of fumbling
5. stagnating and not moving the ball fast enough - getting locked up in defence quite a lot
6. inability to counter ports switch which was their kicking back to a free player at centre half back and moving it fast
7. port rebounding from half back with ease (killed us in the last 10 mins)
8. lack of structure and confusion - I think this killed some players ability to perform/they looked lost
9. port hunting in packs/hawks not so much
10. lacking intensity

I think this usually means a team is in pretty poor form. Another thing. Our score of 15.7 was the best conversion we have achieved all year. Port's was terrible. Now, every game has its own set of circumstances and every opponent is different and the team has shown a lot of resilience in turning things around quickly even in the space of 10 minutes and score heavily but there really were some bad signs during the game yesterday. Sydney is very beatable and lack a bit of pace down back hence they have been trying very hard to make Rohan their primary rebound defender. They are also top heavy up front and we should be able to expose this which is where I think we will win the game. If we can take advantage of their slowish forward line and move the ball quickly to our forwards. I think the midfields are break even but I expect they will try and score more through their mids than they did against North.

Some strange spin in a couple of GF preview articles today.
Rohan Connolly (who - IMO - is one of the more balance reporters around and likes the way hawks go about it) actually put a strange twist on last game we played COLAS.
Justified Sydney case by saying : "Hawthorn took charge late in that game, but even with a few keys down, Sydney still led by 23 points during the third term."
Wasn't it a better effort by us to comeback from 23 down.
A convenient argument if ever I have heard one.

Hello Hawthorn supports.

Just stopping by your board to say a few words. It's fair to say, other than the traditional hate of Collingwood (you're either a Collingwood fan or you're not) our two clubs are probably the next on the list for "Most Hated". There are a lot of reasons people hate our clubs (COLA for us, some dirty players for you) but the one thing that we have in common is recent success. The past 2 primers are going at it for another flag. That's an amazing story in itself. Both teams have tremendous work effort and disciple which is why they're both the teams left. There are no better AFL sides than these two. It is only fitting that they make the Grand Final.

I would also like to congratulate you guys. This is your 3rd Grand Final in a row. That's an outstanding achievement for your club. Not many teams will ever be able to have that. You should be proud of that alone.

I am greatly looking forward to Saturday. As a general AFL fan, I look forward to seeing the 2 best teams play for the greatest prize in our sport. It will be a great game. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back