Toast VFL Flag!!!!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Also how good is the hawthorn system at getting the ball in the hands of the good users. At afl level they get hill or smith into a paddock 5 times a game and at vfl level they managed to create that hartung rub and create overlap with ease. Damn then

Who is this Russel. He is a big unit, and aside from 2 shocking kicks early on that resulted in goals, he was actually quite solid. He actually LOOKS like a FB, which was pleasent to see. Brought back memories of Croft... last big FB i can remember

Also how good is the hawthorn system at getting the ball in the hands of the good users. At afl level they get hill or smith into a paddock 5 times a game and at vfl level they managed to create that hartung rub and create overlap with ease. Damn then

Who is this Russel. He is a big unit, and aside from 2 shocking kicks early on that resulted in goals, he was actually quite solid. He actually LOOKS like a FB, which was pleasent to see. Brought back memories of Croft... last big FB i can remember
Jordan Russell, played over 100 games for Carlton and then one horrible season for Collingwood. He's not even 190cm believe it or not.

Jordan Russell, played over 100 games for Carlton and then one horrible season for Collingwood. He's not even 190cm believe it or not.
*! IT IS HIM! i thought it was that blue fob and thought, yeah right that was ages ago how would he have gotten to us...LOL oh man

No sorry, simply not true for all players. Rioli is one thing, Grant is another. Grant will never be an A grader at all levels, but can be an A grader at the top flight by exploiting his quick mind at that level, where his assets are actually a hindrance when all your team mates are slow to react, to your movement and your intended action when you have it. Dahl could be said to have had a similar impact where as no one was interested in him before he exploded onto the AFL level. He was a perfect fit for it. We get stuck in trying to match players with our gameplan, which is where my dig on Macca is. Grant will be of no service to use unless we are prepared to design a gameplan around his assets, which is (sorry for the coaching terms) Predictive impact, B-centric ball movement, economic high yield output.

Macca has no use for these types in his game plan
I'm not familiar with the terms as fascinating as they sound. Which current team would be a good fit for Grant do you think?

Macca said our young side is kinda like the 2002-2003 geelong side when i asked for a comparison
Paul Chambers
Gary Ablett
Steve Johnson
Paul Chapman
Charlie Gardiner
Josh Hunt
Henry Playfair
James Rahilly
Jim Bartel
James Kelly
Matthew McCarthy
Will Slade
David Mensch
Danny O’Brien
Adam Chatfield
Bluey McGrath
Mitchell White
Peter Street
Brent Grgic
Andrew Carrazzo

Now for a little bored thingo.
Who do you reckon will become our own version of them?

Macca said our young side is kinda like the 2002-2003 geelong side when i asked for a comparison
Paul Chambers
Gary Ablett
Steve Johnson
Paul Chapman
Charlie Gardiner
Josh Hunt
Henry Playfair
James Rahilly
Jim Bartel
James Kelly
Matthew McCarthy
Will Slade
David Mensch
Danny O’Brien
Adam Chatfield
Bluey McGrath
Mitchell White
Peter Street
Brent Grgic
Andrew Carrazzo

Now for a little bored thingo.
Who do you reckon will become our own version of them?
There won't be anyone of the quality of ablett, bartel, Johnson, chapman and Kelly from this team. That's one of the best quintets in the history of the game. How many brownlows, norm smiths, premierships, all Australians, mvps, coaches awards and best and fairests in that group????

Boyd is still a leader and one of the hardest trainers on the list. And if we lose Higgins, after losing Wililams and Gia, and Goodes probably gone as well without Boyd suddenly we have lost a wealth of experience older headsand the like from our list.
But yes, if he played more than 10-15 games for our seniors next year I'd be very surprised. Jong, Smith, and Wallis had an underrated year, all will be more important than Boyd.

We have young players we want to develop, but injuries happen.
He is our best clearance winner if libba gets injured, and our best hard tag if Wallis gets injured. If Grif goes down, we will need someone of Boyds calibre to help cover the hole.

Nothing wrong with a deep midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There won't be anyone of the quality of ablett, bartel, Johnson, chapman and Kelly from this team. That's one of the best quintets in the history of the game. How many brownlows, norm smiths, premierships, all Australians, mvps, coaches awards and best and fairests in that group????
Bontempelli, Libba, Stringer, Macrae and Hunter? I doubt that they'll get to that level, but I don't think they'll be too far off it.

• 2 Brownlow Medallists – Ablett and Bartel
  • 3 Norm Smith Medallists – Bartel, Chapman, Johnson
  • 5 All-Australians (not including Mitchell White previously) – Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Johnson, Kelly
  • 6 x AFL Premiership players (not including Mitchell White previously) - Ablett, Bartel, Chapman, Hunt, Johnson, Kelly
  • 4 x 3 time AFL Premiership Players – Bartel, Chapman, Kelly, Johnson
  • 3 Geelong Best & Fairests (Gary Ablett also won one with the Gold Coast Suns) – Ablett (2), Chapman

Congratulations on the win Doggies. Despite my Hawks getting rolled I'm happy to see you guys get the silverware. You have a lot of good talent coming up through the ranks. I hope you can poach a key forward from GWS or GC in the next year or two and you'll have the makings of a very strong side that should seriously contend for years to come.

That's very definitive. Bonti and Stringer for starters show every sign of being at least as good as Kelly and with the others in their sights. Sure they have the runs on the board and are exceptional players but the two I've named could be just as exceptional (in my view of course).

I'm not familiar with the terms as fascinating as they sound. Which current team would be a good fit for Grant do you think?
Any team with a an all out attacking mentality that go though the middle. Central attacks are the fastest most direct. it places defenders under pressure in the blink of an eye, Grant requires his opponent to be under the pump. He will think quicker and predict the course of the play better then the defender. His 'walking around' will explode into a direct attack in an instant. We bomb it on long, or stall and take our time going around the wings. What this does for grant is in the case of bombs, he plays a good game if he can be a good crumber on the day and snag a couple, (not his style, we have dahl for that) and when you enter via the wings, it generally vacuums everyone else in that direction. Leading to little handballs everywhere on the 50 arc or in the pocket and 'waiting' for an opening. We break these with the likes of JJ or Tutt, cooney, Griff or with strength like stringer does. Grant is fastish, but not a line breaker. so again, useless. I am not surprised he is rather confused. I know, a good footballer should be able to play what is required. but in reality some footballers are made a specific way, and unless they are allowed to play that way, they are no good. Call it a one trick pony, but tht one trick can be deadly too. Such is life.

If you watched the game (i will assume you did ), see the chaos in the first quarter, (typical of a final when everyone is a bit on edge and over eager) he abused that perfectly, but didn't convert sadly. and every time we did fast breaks, grant was a danger. The little things that we all want him to do, he mysteriously does when we are in control of the situation.

I am going to call it teething pains until we fill more positions, but i don't know if grant will last that long when we finally start attacking our opponent. This year we seemed to be more worried about staying in the game and seeing if we can snatch it, rather then all hell for leather confident of victory. I understand the reasoning behind this, i'm just saying, ya know. Jones is a victim of this too, he is being forced to play something he is not. there are a few like that. only that jones and grant have been around for a little longer and so we point them out. Just how it is i guess.

That's very definitive. Bonti and Stringer for starters show every sign of being at least as good as Kelly and with the others in their sights. Sure they have the runs on the board and are exceptional players but the two I've named could be just as exceptional (in my view of course).
We're talking about the vfl flag winning team aren't we?? Comparing it to geelongs 2012 winning team???

Even if we're including bonti, stringer, Macrae and Libba I'd take the accolades the 5 Geelong lads have racked up to be fair....

10703747_870884656262492_3639671851080528268_n.png

We're talking about the vfl flag winning team aren't we?? Comparing it to geelongs 2012 winning team???

Even if we're including bonti, stringer, Macrae and Libba I'd take the accolades the 5 Geelong lads have racked up to be fair....
Well yeah because we have a first year player, 2 2nd year players and a 4th year player. Give them a bit of time!

Any team with a an all out attacking mentality that go though the middle. Central attacks are the fastest most direct. it places defenders under pressure in the blink of an eye, Grant requires his opponent to be under the pump. He will think quicker and predict the course of the play better then the defender. His 'walking around' will explode into a direct attack in an instant. We bomb it on long, or stall and take our time going around the wings. What this does for grant is in the case of bombs, he plays a good game if he can be a good crumber on the day and snag a couple, (not his style, we have dahl for that) and when you enter via the wings, it generally vacuums everyone else in that direction. Leading to little handballs everywhere on the 50 arc or in the pocket and 'waiting' for an opening. We break these with the likes of JJ or Tutt, cooney, Griff or with strength like stringer does. Grant is fastish, but not a line breaker. so again, useless. I am not surprised he is rather confused. I know, a good footballer should be able to play what is required. but in reality some footballers are made a specific way, and unless they are allowed to play that way, they are no good. Call it a one trick pony, but tht one trick can be deadly too. Such is life.

If you watched the game (i will assume you did ), see the chaos in the first quarter, (typical of a final when everyone is a bit on edge and over eager) he abused that perfectly, but didn't convert sadly. and every time we did fast breaks, grant was a danger. The little things that we all want him to do, he mysteriously does when we are in control of the situation.

I am going to call it teething pains until we fill more positions, but i don't know if grant will last that long when we finally start attacking our opponent. This year we seemed to be more worried about staying in the game and seeing if we can snatch it, rather then all hell for leather confident of victory. I understand the reasoning behind this, i'm just saying, ya know. Jones is a victim of this too, he is being forced to play something he is not. there are a few like that. only that jones and grant have been around for a little longer and so we point them out. Just how it is i guess.
I don't disagree at all. The blind, ponderous and less than skillful delivery from midfield has meant his attacking strengths have been under utilised for a few years. Mentioned in another thread that when he has played, he's made many unrewarded leads that the distributors have been just too blind to see. It would be a pity if his departure coincided with the emergence of a midfield that would complement him. Jones also to a degree has suffered a similar fate though my jury is still out as to whether he'll have the impact he did yesterday at the higher level, on better defenders and on a consistent basis. I'm leaning towards not.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back