Luke Hodge - The Chosen One (Stories about our Champ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 1, 2011
"A Little Left of Heaven"
AFL Club
Hawthorn
G'day fellow Hawkers. Firstly may I say it's only a game but damn it feels good to win.

I was hoping to hear the stories and encounters that fellow Hawks fans have had with Luke Hodge. We hear he is a great person both in and out of footy but would love to hear about your personal run-in with our great champion.

At the 2002 B&F my friend managed to snag Hodgey's debut year gurnsey at auction on the night. He later came down to our table to sign it as a young 18yo boy who looked as fresh as you can imagine. My friend stated to him that he was "The Chosen One". Hodgey replied "Nay man, don't say that". My friend replied "Yes you are Luke, just you wait and see".

From such humble beginnings he came as a fresh country boy and look where he is today. I must say that encounter is burned in my memory and although he may have not seen it, I knew that this boy was special from the first game he played for our Hawks.

Love to hear more everyone. :)

When I first met Luke at a function, I quietly tried to get his attention long enough just to shake his hand (as frankly I was just another nobody supporter just wanting a moment with the great man). When I introduced myself, his face lit up and he shook my hand with a smile on his face as though he was genuinely happy to meet me. I was like, wtf, I'm a nobody. But wow, he made me feel 10 feet tall yet humbled to be in his presence at the same time. We chatted for a while and he seemed very happy to engage me in conversation, which was outstanding as there would have been heaps of people imposing themselves on Hodgey for a bit of his time all throughout the night. I cannot speak highly enough about Hodgey and we should be glad that someone with such amazing character is the leader of our footy club. I have no doubt Cooper Hodge could one day be a gem of a father-son draft pickup simply because of the inspiration that is his father. Luke is already a Hawthorn immortal and will one day be formally declared a legend of the club.

Which current AFL player has the best list of playing honours?

LUKE HODGE (Hawthorn)

Playing honours: Norm Smith Medallist 2008, 2014

All-Australian 2005, 2008, 2010 (captain)

International Rules Series (2005)

Hawthorn best and fairest 2005, 2010

Hawthorn captain 2011-

Premierships: 3 — 2008, 2013, 2014 (captain 2013-14)

Career matches: 250

Career Brownlow votes: 115

WE SAY: The former No.1 draft pick comes strongly into this debate on the back of two matches. The Hawks star is a superb leader, having marshalled his side firstly to an upset flag in 2008 and then, under the title of captain, to two more premierships. Amazingly, his form shows no signs of dropping off as he ages.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wh...-playing-honours/story-fndv7pj3-1227100081408

upload_2014-10-24_4-38-16.png

Ive met him a couple of times but most recently last year. He has come a long way and the first thing I noticed was his maturity. He is now ready to be the captain and face of the club. One thing I will say for those who haven't met him, don't be shy just go up and say hi he wont mind, very humble and easy going and will always give you the time of day. Whether its genuine(it is) or whether its because he knows and accepts it as part of being captain of the HFC he'll always have a chat.

Have only one 'encounter' with him, goes back to '04, so obviously he had nowhere near the aura and prestige he has around him now (that said, he was already on his way to becoming my favourite player). I had a severe lower back injury at the time, I was in at a pretty swanky medical centre in Prahran, or one of those leafy south eastern suburbs. In he walks. I just raised my fist and said to him across the room 'Go Hodgey!', he gave me a thumbs up and went on his way. Got a buzz even from that!

Ive met him a couple of times but most recently last year. He has come a long way and the first thing I noticed was his maturity. He is now ready to be the captain and face of the club. One thing I will say for those who haven't met him, don't be shy just go up and say hi he wont mind, very humble and easy going and will always give you the time of day. Whether its genuine(it is) or whether its because he knows and accepts it as part of being captain of the HFC he'll always have a chat.

He's from Colac, mate. They don't use adjectives.

Hodge is the only number 1 draft pick to be a triple premiership player, only drew Banfield (2) and Des Headland have also played in a premiership.

Nick Riewoldt has more individual honours but then footy is a team sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Colac's a funny place. Winchlesea, half hour up the road, even more so....
Was once pulled up by the cops just outside Colac. Turns out the cop recognised my car. He was an friend from school and just wanted to chat. Funny thing was, we were 500Km from home. Scared the crap out of me too. And I let him know. First and only time I got away with abusing Mr Plod.

Edit : Mandatory Hodge content - The Chosen One's parents were still in primary school at the time.

Which current AFL player has the best list of playing honours?

LUKE HODGE (Hawthorn)

Playing honours: Norm Smith Medallist 2008, 2014

All-Australian 2005, 2008, 2010 (captain)

International Rules Series (2005)

Hawthorn best and fairest 2005, 2010

Hawthorn captain 2011-

Premierships: 3 — 2008, 2013, 2014 (captain 2013-14)

Career matches: 250

Career Brownlow votes: 115

WE SAY: The former No.1 draft pick comes strongly into this debate on the back of two matches. The Hawks star is a superb leader, having marshalled his side firstly to an upset flag in 2008 and then, under the title of captain, to two more premierships. Amazingly, his form shows no signs of dropping off as he ages.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/wh...-playing-honours/story-fndv7pj3-1227100081408

View attachment 88918
Just pulling this up because one of my pet hates is when so called journo's don't do their research!
Hate to say it, reason being he left us. Buddy did win a B&F in 2008.
In a way this is kind of related.
I met the great man would of been the summer of 04/05. It was a hot Saturday at the junction oval & a district grade 20/20 game was in progress. St Kilda v Melb IIRC.
I forgot my phone at home so I didn't have the time. There was bugger all punters there, so as I spotted a bloke leaning against the old grandstand I asked him for the time. I just took a fleeting glimpse of his face & when he gave me the answer I recognized him & was ecstatic!
For some reason & I don't know why, I called him Lucas Hodge then introduced myself.
We talked for a while & a more genuine DTE guy you'd never meet. He was there watching one of the Buchanans playing, as he knows the family growing up in Colac.
Back to why it's related to the Franklin topic. As we were chatting I just asked him which of the players that we just drafted (THE 2004 SUPER DRAFT FOR US ANYWAY) would get a gig pretty well straight up.
He looked at me with those eyes & says Buddy's a freak & will be a superstar of the comp sooner than later. Just like anything he touches or says he's spot on.
That's why it still irks me he's left Buddy, but we've moved on & that's been done to death!
Hodgey is one hell of a player, fantastic capt, but I have to say he's a champion person to top it all off.
Our great club has been blessed to have him in our ranks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took my son to pre-season training this year. He's three years old, so his listening skills aren't great and attention span is pretty short. My son is climbing up and down the terraces near the John Kennedy statue in the most dangerous way possible (as is the prerogative of a three year old). As I also have another child with me, I'm trying to get my son to listen to me and to stop what he was doing.

Turns out Hodgey is right behind me and says laconically (along the lines of, as I don't quite remember), "Boys never listen to their dads."

I was too stressed at the thought of my son tripping over his feet and breaking his neck to think of anything to say in response, but Hodge certainly had a twinkle in his eye. Ended up having a bit of chat with Paul Puopolo, who is about my height and a great bloke as well.

Colac: worst drivers in Australia. Back in the 1970's you could guarantee a near miss in Murray St.

I'll be sure to pass this on to my older brother who has lived there over 30 years now!....The 2 Colac boys we have in our side are pretty good drivers in heavy traffic I'd Say!;)

As to the thread topic....His actions on the field speak for themselves!

I met Hodgey when he was 17/18 at the first Hawthorn Family Day in early 2005
My 14 year old niece stood there in awe of his steely blue eyes, or that's what she said!

Hodgey is now being compared to the Great Gary Ayres, partly for the 2 Norm Smiths, partly for the way the plays.
I can't think of a greater compliment to Hodgey than matching the greatest big game player ever*

*Dermie is up there as well!

I'll be sure to pass this on to my older brother who has lived there over 30 years now!....The 2 Colac boys we have in our side are pretty good drivers in heavy traffic I'd Say!;)

As to the thread topic....His actions on the field speak for themselves!

Yeah you tell him. I lived under the shadow of Mount Leura for many years

Just pulling this up because one of my pet hates is when so called journo's don't do their research!
Hate to say it, reason being he left us. Buddy did win a B&F in 2008.
In a way this is kind of related.
I met the great man would of been the summer of 04/05. It was a hot Saturday at the junction oval & a district grade 20/20 game was in progress. St Kilda v Melb IIRC.
I forgot my phone at home so I didn't have the time. There was bugger all punters there, so as I spotted a bloke leaning against the old grandstand I asked him for the time. I just took a fleeting glimpse of his face & when he gave me the answer I recognized him & was ecstatic!
For some reason & I don't know why, I called him Lucas Hodge then introduced myself.
We talked for a while & a more genuine DTE guy you'd never meet. He was there watching one of the Buchanans playing, as he knows the family growing up in Colac.
Back to why it's related to the Franklin topic. As we were chatting I just asked him which of the players that we just drafted (THE 2004 SUPER DRAFT FOR US ANYWAY) would get a gig pretty well straight up.
He looked at me with those eyes & says Buddy's a freak & will be a superstar of the comp sooner than later. Just like anything he touches or says he's spot on.
That's why it still irks me he's left Buddy, but we've moved on & that's been done to death!
Hodgey is one hell of a player, fantastic capt, but I have to say he's a champion person to top it all off.
Our great club has been blessed to have him in our ranks.

I think the question that has to be asked is .... has a club ever hit gold more than we did in the 2004 draft? With picks 2 5 and 7 we nailed the best 3 players in the draft. Planets aligned that day. Given that we went on to use pick.21 on Thomas Murphy and pick.26 on Matthew Little, perhaps the only player that slipped through our fingers was Matt Lecras (at pick.37). The rest were average.

Last edited:
I've never met Luke, so I don't really have any personal stories to share. However, a mate of mine was on the Hawks coaching panel at the time and his role was to nurture young Hawks through their first couple of seasons, players such as Hodge, Franklin, Roughead, etc. They would have the players around for dinner and teach them how to look after themselves. I asked him about Hodge. He just grinned and said, "He's a real lad is Hodge", in other words, he was a bit of a larrikin, then he added .... "But the Hawks have good one there".

We've seen him mature from a "lad" to a valuable club man and a great player, already one of Hawthorn greats, and it's been a pleasure to watch the ride. To me, he's my favourite. Why? Because, like Lewis, they are as close to the old fashioned tough socks down player we used to love back in the 60s-80s. On top of that, he's a very good player, and he has a very special regard for the Hawthorn FC. That kiss to Franklin in the GF was more than just a funny moment, it was message, delivered loud and clear to a person Hodge would still consider a mate, but a mate who let him down.

It's a good story but that poster photo that the article mentions was being taken while Hodgey was posing with the kids on the dias was actually taken on the dias itself before the photo with the kids. Hodgey is actually in it at the back holding the cup up. He got blocked from view when all the other boys got up there. You can see when you watch the replay.

But that takes nothing away from him posing for a photo with those kids when he was well within his rights to just soak in the moment and do whatever he wanted to. Just so happens he's the kind of bloke who's willing to do something special for other people in his own moment of glory.

Wish I could say I've met him and I really do hope I get the chance one day. People say you should never meet your heroes as they never live up to expectation but by all accounts he not only lives up to them but exceeds them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back