List Mgmt. Drafting Interstaters

Remove this Banner Ad

DNine

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2008
West of Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
From our current list, here is the interstate players on our list.

Western Australians
Alex Fasolo, Corey Gault, Johnathan Marsh, Heritier Lumumba, Marley Williams,

South Australia
Brodie Grundy, Ben Kennedy, Jarrod Witts, Tim Broomhead, Matt Scharenberg

Queensland
Dayne Beams, Jesse White, Lachlan Keeffe, Josh Thomas, Adam Oxley

To have 15 players from interstate, we are asking for trouble. Beams is one of 15, Lumumba another, who doesn't seem to be wanting to go back home, but it just shows that a Victorian side could well have major issues keeping players in the state the player doesn't come from.

My real concern is Brodie Grundy, Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead and Matt Scharenberg. Will they get to 25 and want to go back to SA?

I would hope that we continue to give them opportunities and invest in them and we should be right.

As long as the club is heading in the right direction with a winning culture I'm not overly worried. It is rare for star players in their prime to request trades back home IMO and having a few from each state I think works to help them settle and form a bond within the club.

The best from that list is by far the SA lads and that's a quick hop between Melbourne. Adelaide's a s**t hole so I'm sure they're happy in Melbourne. :)

Western Australians

South Australia

Queensland

To have 15 players from interstate, we are asking for trouble. Beams is one of 15, Lumumba another, who doesn't seem to be wanting to go back home, but it just shows that a Victorian side could well have major issues keeping players in the state the player doesn't come from.

My real concern is Brodie Grundy, Ben Kennedy, Tim Broomhead and Matt Scharenberg. Will they get to 25 and want to go back to SA?

No Buckley, Didak etc. There is a risk but there is a reward.

I would pick best regardless of where from. I don't know for sure but I would suggest most stay.

Western Australians

South Australia

Queensland

We had one problem in about 10 years and that was Nick Davis going back to NSW. Suddenly we are scared..

Forgot that we are losing Beams already have you?
Here's a quote from the great man Buckley only a few hours ago
"He's a contracted player. We're still in dialogue and our preference is still that he stays with the football club and that we find a way to meet his family concerns, but that will take some time."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Australians

South Australia

Queensland

Do you have a comparison with other clubs? Because its really hard to say anything about those numbers without a reference point. We could be below average in terms of interstaters for all we know

Do you have a comparison with other clubs? Because its really hard to say anything about those numbers without a reference point. We could be below average in terms of interstaters for all we know

8 for Carlton, 9 for Essendon, Cats 15, Hawthorn 13, Melbourne 11, North 8, Richmond 7, Saints 12, Doggies 7.

So we have Cats and Hawks up near us in numbers of interstaters. I suppose in general it is not too much of a concern, but to go for Kennedy, Grundy and Broomhead, Marsh and Scharenberg in two years, it does instill fear when the fear is realised when our second best player wants to walk.

8 for Carlton, 9 for Essendon, Cats 15, Hawthorn 13, Melbourne 11, North 8, Richmond 7, Saints 12, Doggies 7.

So we have Cats and Hawks up near us in numbers of interstaters. I suppose in general it is not too much of a concern, but to go for Kennedy, Grundy and Broomhead, Marsh and Scharenberg in two years, it does instill fear when the fear is realised when our second best player wants to walk.
Ok so we do have equal most in vic. I reckon you just take best available and deal with homesickness on a case by case basis (unless there's a clear indication a player will go home as soon as he can). Wouldn't be a fan of taking an inferior player because he's a local

You can't make generalisations about the "homesick" issue.

Huge numbers of Australians make a conscious and deliberate decision to move away from home, and even to live in other countries.

There'll be AFL draftees who will be crossing their fingers that they get the chance to move out from home and live interstate.

And some will want to stay at home.

There will be the players who want to escape the bubble that is Melbourne - eg: Buddy Franklin.

And there will be players who will be attracted to the bubble that is Melbourne - eg: Quinten Lynch.

Add to that the situation that players for Melbourne clubs don't have to travel as much as those playing for interstate clubs. For some that will be a good thing, for some not such a good thing.

And it changes ... Beams had the opportunity at the start of his career to stay home on the Gold Coast and play for the Suns. He chose not to. He now clearly thinks differently.

The only thing a club can do is its homework on what the needs and desires of the individual is likely to be, to foster an environment where the player is happy, and to accept that every once in a while the club needs to take a hit on a player wanting to move away (eg: Wellingham) ...

... and hope that it's balanced out by the players who want to move towards (eg: Karnezis)

Pick the best player/fit available -regardless of state.
Build the right environment, and have a winning culture, and in general players would stay.

We had 3 guys who wanted to go home (Wellers, Beams and N.Davis) and the rest who were happy to stay... I don't think there's any problem there.

8 for Carlton, 9 for Essendon, Cats 15, Hawthorn 13, Melbourne 11, North 8,Richmond 7, Saints 12, Doggies 7.

Someone else already said it, but the most successful clubs certainly don't shy away from interstate players; they back themselves to be a place to be.
Let's assume success is the major reason players choose a club. Picking lesser players would be counterproductive to on-field success, which reduces the players interest in staying here. You could probably say that picking players specifically to avoid the go-home factor (picking Victorians) wouldn't really achieve this goal at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back