Mega Thread Trade and List Management discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mitch Duncan reportedly being targeted... We keen?
YES.

Possibly my favourite non-Bulldog. Would cost us a fortune though. Don't see it happening.

I disagree, I think that it's a fairly meaningless trade. I don't care too much for Jones, but Cooney, whilst past it, still brings more to the club than the average pick 28 would (look up picks in the 20s, they're on average pretty shit).

Also, unfortunate as it may be, you may be without Crameri for a significant amount of time. That does raise Jones' stocks a little.

The thing is, Cooney has off days more often than he has on days. I'd rather let him go and perhaps be effective at another team instead of letting him taint his legacy at the Bulldogs by only putting in the effort maybe 25 percent of the time.

YES.

Possibly my favourite non-Bulldog. Would cost us a fortune though. Don't see it happening.
Would love to get him as well, absolute cracker bloke as well.

I'd rather not get Lonergan. Way too old for what we should be looking at.

I cannot agree sorry. End of next year Morris and possibly Murphy are gone.
We will definitely need all the experience we can down there in 2016 and 2017.

I dont think mccartney has any faith in Talia, Austin and Roberts at this stage and Cordy will be a while.
Really like the idea of getting an experience defender there for the next 2-3 years.

Hell it may even allow us to do away with the whole 5 man forward line strategy if we tighten the screws down back.

Might be a case of upgrade Austin or trade in Lonergan. Lonergan will be around 100K(we aren't going to hit our min salary cap at this rate anyway) a year more expensive but offers a lot more now and can teach Roughead/Talia/Roberts. Also helps the transition of Morris out next year by sticking around for a season or 2 longer.

I cannot agree sorry. End of next year Morris and possibly Murphy are gone.
We will definitely need all the experience we can down there in 2016 and 2017.

I dont think mccartney has any faith in Talia, Austin and Roberts at this stage and Cordy will be a while.
Really like the idea of getting an experience defender there for the next 2-3 years.

Hell it may even allow us to do away with the whole 5 man forward line strategy if we tighten the screws down back.

If we can hold onto Talia this year and next.

Might be a case of upgrade Austin or trade in Lonergan. Lonergan will be around 100K(we aren't going to hit our min salary cap at this rate anyway) a year more expensive but offers a lot more now and can teach Roughead/Talia/Roberts. Also helps the transition of Morris out next year by sticking around for a season or 2 longer.

Reckon you've hit the nail on the head.

More than happy to have a > 30 YO old Lonergan than Austin at any age.

i think, mainly, to stop the bleeding until help of roberts, talia, roughead matures.

also, roughead / fletch may be swung forward, aiding structure?

a KPD may be entertaining other offers? talia rumours?

...that's all i've got for you

No I still don't think we should be bringing in 30 year old's period. If we can get someone a bit younger then that, fine. Otherwise I'd rather try to fast track Talia and Roberts. They will have had 4 years on the list so they aren't exactly babies.

"Mark Stevens is reporting that the Western Bulldogs was extremely interested the Gold Coast's Steven May throughout the season but we're not successful.

Now the Western Bulldogs have offered Tom Lonergan a 3 year deal according to SEN."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rumors of a three year deal on the table by us for Tom Lonergan.

Is alleged to have been a Bulldogs fan growing up (not that that means too much.)

I understand that he's contracted for another year. So if there's anything to it, the cats wont let him go cheap.

As for the relevance of his alleged support for the dogs as a kid, it means heaps in the BigFooty world, just look at how much speculation Carlisles name generates on this board with the same tenuous link. Not so relevant in the real world of player trades tho.

From my perspective, I reckon Lonergan will be a good stop gap for a couple of years.
Would free Roughy up to help in other parts of the ground, & enable Talia & Roberts to ease their way into the senior team.
I dont get the negative sentiment, I know he's 30, but I dont remember this sort of response when we picked up Scott Welsh as a stop gap forward a few years back, & he went alright for us.
The only issue I will have is if we pay overs for him.

No I still don't think we should be bringing in 30 year old's period. If we can get someone a bit younger then that, fine. Otherwise I'd rather try to fast track Talia and Roberts. They will have had 4 years on the list so they aren't exactly babies.
What if they just aren't up to it though? With injuries they will probably get a chance anyway. I agree trading in 30+s is not the way to go, but it was pretty desperate down back this season at times.

Plus it will allow Roughy to move forward which I am a fan of.

We've offered him a 3 year deal (with options in the third to protect both parties) worth 400k a year. He'll request a trade to us.

Is that Lonergan Dale?

Lonergan > Merrett

We've clearly identified a weakness down back, surely it can't hurt our developing kids to add some experience and leadership?

What if they just aren't up to it though? With injuries they will probably get a chance anyway. I agree trading in 30+s is not the way to go, but it was pretty desperate down back this season at times.

Plus it will allow Roughy to move forward which I am a fan of.

If he comes into the side, it will be more about structure and development of the other boys down back. His role will be as on field coach and no doubt he is close with Scarlo and Moons, so I reckon they've got in his ear about coming across.

Remember, Roughead has really only been fullback for 2 years and he's still learning his craft. It's not fair for the other younger blokes to be thrown in the deep end and be pantsed by a good forward who'll kick 6 and 8 goals on them...remember Zac Dawson debuting on Rocca? Was like watching a train wreck and it took a whole season for him to get over it.

Ok im really confused here why would we offer Lonagan 30 a 3 year contract when we let go the best full back 2 years ago for Steak knives ---This is the first time I have been worried re build and prosper dont panic pic and plug holes....

Would be happy to get Lonergan if it meant Roughy goes into the 2nd ruck, forward (back is needed) role. Sounds like they are keen to ensure Morris is the 3rd tall next year which is smart as he is starting to struggle with the gorillas, whilst still killing the smaller guys. Hopefully Talia/Roberts get some more games.

Hard to know his worth though. I guess something like the Lake trade?

If we can hold onto Talia this year and next.

If you hadnt picked up on it McCartney is not in the Talia fan club. I doubt he has even subscribed to the newsletter or liked them on facebook.

You could see how far McCartney thinks Tali is away from it in an interview Mccartney gave earlier this year.
Was not surprised to see him go gameless in 2014.
I do not necessarily agree though but thats where he sits at the club and like Jones and Tutt is amongst those wanting to move elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back