Unpopular Basketball Opinions

Remove this Banner Ad

Russell and Wilt I tend to discount due to the fact that they played in a predominantly white competition at a time when the talent pool in the NBA was exceptionally weak.

Yes because being a coloured person breaking into a predominantly white institution would of had no added pressure due to I don't know ...the institutionalised racism that they would of faced.

Being refused rooms, being refused service and all the politics that went with it ...let's not just put this simple spin on it.

Nah, during THAT prime he was Jordan's equal.

Outside of that, I'd still proffer that he was as big a force as Kobe when weighting wings from that era. Iverson would be in that conversation somewhere too.
Nobody in absolute peak beast mode even gets to Jordan's level when MJ is just casually shooting hoops in the gym by himself. Just saying :D

Nobody in absolute peak beast mode even gets to Jordan's level when MJ is just casually shooting hoops in the gym by himself. Just saying :D

Scottie has a bigger willy.

Yes because being a coloured person breaking into a predominantly white institution would of had no added pressure due to I don't know ...the institutionalised racism that they would of faced.

Being refused rooms, being refused service and all the politics that went with it ...let's not just put this simple spin on it.

The pressure off the court was well harsh and obviously separate from the game itself.

The pressure on the court, not so much. They were lucky in a way that there werent many african american players at that time.
What he said isnt incorrect I wouldnt think.

KD's foot injury ends up being worse than reported and he never comes back the same player

Oh, I don't even want to think about that. Would be a tragedy for the game.

My (possibly) unpopular opinion: I find GOAT player lists boring. Certainly brings about some interesting & heated (in a good way) discussion though.

I do enjoy reading best team debates though.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't even want to think about that. Would be a tragedy for the game.

My (possibly) unpopular opinion: I find GOAT player lists boring. Certainly brings about some interesting & heated (in a good way) discussion though.

I do enjoy reading best team debates though.
GOAT players and teams lists are boring. Because it's just Michael Jordan and 72-10. End of discussion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hahah seriously though. Im pretty spot on.

You cant argue with Jordan.

You also cant really argue with 72-10. That s**t was crazy.

Well you can't argue it with you.

In this sense, I think people overrate Jordan.

Yes, he's the GOAT, but the gap isn't nearly as big as some people make it out to be.

I mean, prior to the Heat losing in the finals, LeBron's individual achievements to the same age were as good as or greater than Jordan's were.

In this sense, I think people overrate Jordan.

Yes, he's the GOAT, but the gap isn't nearly as big as some people make it out to be.

I mean, prior to the Heat losing in the finals, LeBron's individual achievements to the same age were as good as or greater than Jordan's were.
Individual awards? So where are LeBron's 10 scoring titles? Oh he only has one and is 30 and probably wont ever lead the league in scoring again. Where is LeBron's steals titles. Oh he has none. Where is LeBron's Defensive Player of the Year award. Oh he doesnt have one of those either.

Jordan won MVP's in a league with Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, Drexler etc etc LeBron literally just need to beat Durant. That's it. Plus Jordan got jipped because they got sick of giving them to him. He would really have 7 at the every least, maybe 8.

Anyways it's not just individual awards. Just watch the two of them. Jordan is twice the defender LeBron is, twice the leader, three times the clutch player that LBJ is. LeBron doesnt have Jordan's mentality either, the mental toughness, the will to win. All that.

Yes Jordan is the GOAT and yes the gap really is that large.

Individual awards? So where are LeBron's 10 scoring titles? Oh he only has one and is 30 and probably wont ever lead the league in scoring again. Where is LeBron's steals titles. Oh he has none. Where is LeBron's Defensive Player of the Year award. Oh he doesnt have one of those either.

Jordan won MVP's in a league with Olajuwon, Ewing, Shaq, Magic, Bird, Isiah, Barkley, Malone, Robinson, Drexler etc etc LeBron literally just need to beat Durant. That's it. Plus Jordan got jipped because they got sick of giving them to him. He would really have 7 at the every least, maybe 8.

Anyways it's not just individual awards. Just watch the two of them. Jordan is twice the defender LeBron is, twice the leader, three times the clutch player that LBJ is. LeBron doesnt have Jordan's mentality either, the mental toughness, the will to win. All that.

And in this sense, people underrate LeBron.

1. LeBron isn't a "scorer" as such. He still has averaged very well in the points department. He scores very well on a very high efficiency.

2. LeBron is a 6'9 power player and isn't a "stealer" on defence. There's been literally 2 players that were forwards that have won the steals title since it was introduced.

3. No ******* s**t LeBron isn't as good of a defender as MJ, that's not saying LBJ is a bad defender because he's actually a very good defender.

4. Oh and seeing as LBJ has 5x MVPs, they're not as good as MJs cause he's close is basically what you're saying. Durant has pipped LBJ once and the MVP wasn't even a focus of LBJs.

5. No, MJ has 6. You can't say he should've had 7 or 8 because he has 6.

1. LeBron isn't a "scorer" as such. He still has averaged very well in the points department. He scores very well on a very high efficiency.

2. LeBron is a 6'9 power player and isn't a "stealer" on defence. There's been literally 2 players that were forwards that have won the steals title since it was introduced.

3. No ******* s**t LeBron isn't as good of a defender as MJ, that's not saying LBJ is a bad defender because he's actually a very good defender.

4. Oh and seeing as LBJ has 5x MVPs, they're not as good as MJs cause he's close is basically what you're saying. Durant has pipped LBJ once and the MVP wasn't even a focus of LBJs.

5. No, MJ has 6. You can't say he should've had 7 or 8 because he has 6.
For starters, LBJ has 4 MVP's and Jordan has 5. So your knowledge is off a little bro.

LeBron isnt a big scorer no, which doesnt help him in GOAT arguments. LeBron is good enough defensively and quick enough to get steals. He just doesnt do it enough or isnt good enough to ever lead the league in steals. Jordan did is three times I think.

LBJ is a very good defender, he isnt elite like Jordan was though.

Look I like LBJ but all this crap about him already being number 2 all time and that he has a chance to catch Jordan is just pure nonsense IMO.

He is still far, far behind blokes like Magic, Kareem, Bird, Wilt, Russell, Oscar etc... never mind anywhere near Jordan.

He might catch up, he has time, he might get by those blokes I mentioned. But he wont get by Jordan, he is who he is now. He wont get much better from here and everything we have seen from him pales in comparison to MJ.

That's just how it is.

(Dropped 35 and hit the game winner)

They're the only 4 I cbf picking out.

Get a ******* grip Jod.

His mentality and will to win, yet he has gone to the NBA Finals 5 times and won just twice. Jordan went 6 times and won 6. Jordan also, once he climbed the mountain was only pushed to 7 games twice. Once against New York and once against Indiana. So that was 6 straight years of playoff series, 6 NBA Finals, 24 playoff series, and only twice from 24 was he pushed the distance.

You can argue some things, you cant argue that LeBron has a similar mentality to Jordan and a similar will to win!

His mentality and will to win, yet he has gone to the NBA Finals 5 times and won just twice. Jordan went 6 times and won 6. Jordan also, once he climbed the mountain was only pushed to 7 games twice. Once against New York and once against Indiana. So that was 6 straight years of playoff series, 6 NBA Finals, 24 playoff series, and only twice from 24 was he pushed the distance.

You can argue some things, you cant argue that LeBron has a similar mentality to Jordan and a similar will to win!

Jordan also won them with Rodman, Pippen, Kerr, Kukoc etc

LBJ in Cleveland had Big Z and ******* Mo Williams. In 08/09 when he lost he finals he averaged 35.3ppg, 9.1rpg, 7.3rpg, 1.6stl and 1blk on 51% from the field during the playoffs. BUT YEAH LET'S ALL BLAME LEBRON.

Then last season he averaged 27.4ppg, 7.1rpg, 4.8apg and 1.9stl on 56.5%, YES FIFTY-SIX % FROM THE FIELD! BUT ONCE AGAIN LET'S ******* BLAAAAAAAAME LEBRON.

Agreed it wasn't LeBron's fault for the two times he lost to the Spurs (it was however vs the Mavs). I thought these things were just known as pretty much fact now rather than up for argument.

What worries me about LeBron is that he is a good defender, but he should be an all time great defender, because when he turns it on defensively he is amazing. In fact on a one play scenario at the end of a close game I would say he's equal to MJ, but he obviously is miles behind over the journey. I mean he's 6'9 and he had 26 blocks last year.

I also believe he has the killer instinct. He's a rare breed that developed it into his game. He has a different personality to Jordan (in the fact he doesn't want to rip your head off - whether team mate or opponent), and that's fine.

P.S. MJ should have won the MVP in 96-97 - I mean the team wins 69 games and he leads the league in scoring. I mean come-on! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back