List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its a gamble. But a good gamble.

If I was forced to gamble on something it would be on a #1 draft pick who is 201cm and 102kilos at 19. He is the exact type of player you can build a club around.

Agree, very gutsy gamble but it gives them an immediate lift in morale and fan interest, and may lead to long-term success.

There was also the risk of doing nothing, of sitting back and watching players leave, with just draft picks as consolation. This could have left them in 'No-where-ville' for a long long time. I'll certainly be taking a close interest in how the Doggies go from here. (If they didn't have Minson they'd be my second team:D).

Probably not. But once again - you are comparing a #1 draft pick, 175 game player who is a Club Best and Fairest and entering his prime to Brodie Martin.

One is relevant - one is not.

You brought Gibbs into it.

Does keeping Brodie in 2015 affect our trading ability in 2016? I don't see how. You'd said it's 150K saved. Does that make the difference between bringing in a target? Possibly.

What is more helpful is finishing up the ladder, making AFC a destination club.
If Brodie helps in that (over the 2nd pick in the draft) for a game or 6, then it could be 150K well spent.

Would you have thought Cam O'Shea would help make Port a destination club 2 years ago?

Aren't we trying to establish a ruthless winning culture? New coaches come in all the time and cull the deadwood. It doesn't hurt the culture. I really don't think our club would be struggling if we didn't give Brodie Martin another contract.

Might need someone to clarify this. I was of the understanding you could have 38 main players and 4 on the rookie list. I may be wrong though.

Martins position is the easiest on the field to cover. We would not miss him. If our clubs finals fortunes comes down to Brodie Martin we are in even worse shape than I thought.
Ruthless in terms of accountability. If you don't perform and you don't play for the team; you are accountable and you don't get picked and eventually moved on.

If you do the team thing and have been improving and performed well, then you get cut; it is exactly the opposite of what we are trying to build. That's counter productive. And it's not how good teams operate.

We have already cut fairly deep. Our ability to compete cannot be compromised. Martin was more than competitive last year and his later games demonstrated real and significant improvement over early season games. Hopefully our young guys improve and go past him and he's just depth. But we will likely need his services at some stage.

Robinson, McLean and Lucas all delisted today.
Would expect someone to punt on robbo but other 2 probably finished.

So glad blues picked Lucas over Talia!

Not that Martin himself is critical, the process of 'punishing' a player after improving is poor form.
I'm not a Martin fan. I think it was more of a case of him getting more game time, than actually improving. Yeah sure he did some OK things during games, but he continued to look more like an SANFL player for the most part. If he didn't get offered a contract, it wouldn't be punishment in my eyes, just a reflection on the fact that he really isn't up to it. Of course, the most likely scenario is that he'll be offered a 1-year contract.

Not that Martin himself is critical, the process of 'punishing' a player after improving is poor form.
Sure he is not a star, but is already in the system, has shown he can play a role. You need depth players.

Sent from my XT905 using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor coaching.

Turnovers can be eliminated by improving decision making. Speed can not be taught.

I would give him a go and improve his skills.

Yeah, big chance of improving the habits of a life time....

Decision making has sfa to do with an inherent inability to hit a target, it's just s**t kicking.

Yeah, big chance of improving the habits of a life time....

Decision making has sfa to do with an inherent inability to hit a target, it's just s**t kicking.

Then we need to delist another 6 or 7 players as they have the same problems.

Poor coaching.

Turnovers can be eliminated by improving decision making. Speed can not be taught.

I would give him a go and improve his skills.
I'd sooner bet on pigs flying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back