How good is Dayne Beams?

Remove this Banner Ad

No, a good player is better than a bad player regardless of height.

They last thing we need is another midget. Whether Crisp is any good only time will tell but if he is any good his height will be invaluable. Its a nonsense to assume that height is somehow unimportant. 190 cm midfielders can be very damaging.

No we need someone with speed and skill. If a midget has that get him.

Disagree with this although Rocky will be a better player with Beams there as Beams will take the tag.

Geez I don't want to sound rude but god I have seen a lot of Collingwood supporters speak in definitive statements about our midfield over the past 3 weeks despite having little knowledge whatsoever.

Hanley and Rich normally get the tag because they are so damaging on the outside and they have shown to be more "taggable".

Geez I don't want to sound rude but god I have seen a lot of Collingwood supporters speak in definitive statements about our midfield over the past 3 weeks despite having little knowledge whatsoever.

Hanley and Rich normally get the tag because they are so damaging on the outside and they have shown to be more "taggable".
I think people forget just how good Daniel Rich is. Once he gets back from his injury and is fully fit, he'll be first tagged. Brisbanes equivalent of Travis Boak IMO

Disagree with this although Rocky will be a better player with Beams there as Beams will take the tag.

Beams will probably be the better midfielder, but Rockliff is so versatile and strong when used as an isolated forward. I guess it doesn't matter who is better, they're going to have one hell of a midfield.

Who would have thought Brisbane would be in this position 12 months ago...

Yeah easy to forget that Rockliff was the leading TAC Cup goalkicker in his draft year. He's an incredibly versatile footballer.

With Moloney, Rich and Redden losing most or all of their seasons to injury this year he was forced to play almost a lone hand as our starting in an under mid. Would be interested to see "centre bounce attended" stats.

As such, he spent a lot of time in the guts this year doing the unflashy centreman stuff and was as a rule rotated off for a rest as opposed to rotating forward. As such, we see a lot of people who only started taking notice of him this year accuse him of being a "stats padder", being undamaging or not kicking goals.

Still got All-Australian honours playing that unflashy role (despite missing 4 games) but will be great to get some key pieces back in to give him a chop out and allow him to be more creative next year.

This video shows that is is much more than a grunt player when he is freed up a little.

Last edited:
Collingwood supporters "Bu-bu-but Rockliffs 2nd rate and gives off cheapies"

Classic BF tall poppy syndrome at work.

My bad as I must have worded it wrong. It was meant as an opinion more of a statement. I'm not trying to downplay Rockliff's ability as footballer as I think he is a very good one, an A grader. I just think Beams is more damaging than Rockliff, Hanley and Rich with the added bonus that he goes forward and kicks goals. Rockliff reminds me alot of Swan, you can put a tagger on him but he will still gather his 30+ disposals and sentence you to death by a thousand cuts, whereas you are more likely to quell the influence of Beams by employing a tagger. Again this is just my opinion and not a definitive statement so take it with a grain of salt if you will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Letting Rich run wild without a tag would amount to the opposing team being accused of tanking.

Let both Rich & Beams run without a tag & you'll see who is the most damaging player

Letting Rich run wild without a tag would amount to the opposing team being accused of tanking.

Let both Rich & Beams run without a tag & you'll see who is the most damaging player
As has been touched on, Rich is easier to shut down with a tag than Beams, which would be in the mind of opposition coaches when deciding who to tag. It'll be the reason some coaches choose to tag Rich, as Beams has a very good record of beating good taggers.

Ask an opposition coach who they'd rather be guaranteed to be able to keep quiet for an entire game, and I reckon they would all choose Beams.

As has been touched on, Rich is easier to shut down with a tag than Beams, which would be in the mind of opposition coaches when deciding who to tag. It'll be the reason some coaches choose to tag Rich, as Beams has a very good record of beating good taggers.

No he doesn't, he's just as useful as a raincoat on a sunny day.

Ask an opposition coach who they'd rather be guaranteed to be able to keep quiet for an entire game, and I reckon they would all choose Beams.

Nope, they'd choose Rich/Hanley. 20-25 possessions of Rich or Hanley is far more worth than Beams' 30.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back