Have we raised the white flag when it comes to Port Power?

Remove this Banner Ad

1) We had the biggest average attendance by a club this year, across the entire league. Our games are well attended. Their "record breaking" crowds had more to do with GA Memberships and selling of Western Stand guess passes for thier blockbusters. Something we dont do for patron comfort.

I heard someone mention something along those lines last season that the Crows will never beat Port's crowd number because Port had made a decision to oversell GA match day tickets. Supposedly the Crows had refused to do this because they didn't want to detract from patron comfort.

After my wife's experience at the Port V Carlton game I can understand it. She went with her friend on GA tickets, but they left at quarter time because they couldn't see anything and couldn't even get near the hill because it was overcrowded. She said there were heaps of people complaining that they had wasted their money buying tickets because they couldn't see anything. After hearing that I am glad in a way that the Crows had not gone down that path because I would rather people go to our games and be able to watch the game and enjoy it and want to return rather than over sell tickets and have people pay $30, not be able to see anything and walk away disappointed and reluctant to go again

Last edited:
offer an exciting product and it'll get more than just the fans, which the crows have always had.

everything flows on from on field. port have just been a more exciting team the last couple of years, and because of that, their marketing department have had something they can directly build on and show off to potential and past fans.

bandwagoners or not, their money is the same colour. while it can be argued that our marketing has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons, they haven't had much to work with since the 2012 season. definite improvements need to be made however.

I heard someone mention something along those lines last season that the Crows will never beat Port's crowd number because Port had made a decision to oversell GA match day tickets. Supposedly the Crows had refused to do this because they didn't want to detract from patron comfort.

After my wife's experience at the Port V Carlton game I can understand it. She went with her friend on GA tickets, but they left at quarter time because they couldn't see anything and couldn't even get near the hill because it was overcrowded. She said there were heaps of people complaining that they had wasted their money buying tickets because they couldn't see anything. After hearing that I am glad in a way that the Crows had not gone down that path because I would rather people go to our games and be able to watch the game and enjoy it and want to return rather than over sell tickets and have people pay $30, not be able to see anything and walk away disappointed and reluctant to go again

Agree with this, we could probably afford to over sell the hill a little more as under the stands haven't been too full but then if everyone did turn up it wouldn't be great.

Especially when you take in to consideration our tickets are some of the more expensive in the AFL while Port Adelaides are the cheapest, lower than Melbourne, Bulldogs, GWS, Kangaroos, everyone. Premium price would see our crowd want a few extra comforts and when we've got some seats several hundred more a year than the same seat at a Port game we would probably make more with the occasional slightly lower crowd anyway.

I had a three game membership with the Power, primarily for the away Showdown. Three other guys got them with me, all are Power supporters who rarely go to the Footy. They loved the Showdown, got a tshirt and the result of course. We also paid extra for this game to get an allocated seat.

We then decide to go to the record breaking Hawthorn game. Did not bother allocating a ticket as we would get there early. We got to the game an hour and half before the start. Not one seat available near the Hill. Hill was pretty full, and my mates dont want to stand, we eventually get seats second to last row of the top tier on the Eastern side and they were not all together, we negotiated with some other patrons to move up to allow us four seats. My mates were not as happy. Bear in mind this was about 5.40 pm for a 7.10 game These guys would never commit to an 11 game seated membership as they would barely go to a game due to other commitments and the games being live on Foxtel. But after the Showdown they were keen on getting the same 3 game membership for 2015. However that changed after the Hawthorn game upon realising that the only value in that three member ticket is in paying the additional money and hassle to allocate a seat. So that is four memberships they wont have next year, as I wont be renewing either given it will be easier to get a Showdown ticket this year.

Ports spend money to make money to hopefully save the club plan was always going to see them spend more on marketing than us, things like the tram were totally unnecessary for us. We got the same results without having to spend that money, and it will be interesting to see if their growth continues or even remains stable when their form dips and they decide its time to actually make money.

It's that the stuff we did do wasn't great. Crowify the city was fine, except that apart from the hotel no body really went out of their way to do it any more than they do for a Port game.

Apart from the march and scarves in the air, things that no one would get behind with our on field form, our match day stuff was pretty much identical. We danced the OTR song for $1000, they danced to the Macarena for $100. It's just that the Port game that most Crows supporters went to was the first game, and they didn't have time to do all that crap with the official ceremony stuff taking its place (joining a giant coin is no better than Trigg receiving a football). From all reports our match day stuff for event games overtook theirs, but by that time with our form who cares.

They've successfully sucked up to the media and became everyones second team. I don't think thats ever going to be us. It wont always be them either. We won't have Fagan or Chapman doing half time interviews at away games etc. just wont happen.

They were quicker to respond, react and engage with supporters. More switched on with marketing, emphasising the marketing slogans like never give up mainly after wins so that supporters associate it with winning, not "we've lost another game but thanks to 19th man again". It looks like we are doing that better already under Fagan but lets see if they keep it up once the games start.
Correction. Port has spent money to make a loss..........

They will still make a loss for 2014 despite the move to AO and all their sell-out (double- meaning ;) ).

OP and title...drama q much. White flag...that's what the tarps were.
1. Fages is going to kick the crap out our marketing this season. Give him time.
2. We don't know what is happening in the background. It was on Triggy and Chaps watch so we'll see what happens. I think their is a review of how it goign at some stage.
3. Ryder...who cares.
4. ANZAC day once again who cares what Port is saying..or doing...another Rooch troll sure to be happening tomorrow on how having this makes PAP the no 1 club, blah, blah, blah.

ANZAC day 2015 is a complete farce anyway, who wants it? It's a Saturday, there will be 5 games that day, it's just going to be like any other round. I wouldn't be getting too amped up over something so insignificant. Subsequent years with stand alone games maybe.

Correction. Port has spent money to make a loss..........

They will still make a loss for 2014 despite the move to AO and all their sell-out (double- meaning ;) ).

Your right, I believe they are thinking very long term. Big risk. They pretty much have to keep up their on field form until they actually turn it around.

The pear are coming from a long way back , so anything they do to improve is going to make them look like the golden child. However they have the most fickle , front running supporters in the league ( thats why their tickets are the cheapest) and when things turn bad ,you watch , out come the tarps again. ;)

WTF is this s**t? The off field fightback we've just launched answers the OP's question with a resounding no. The fight has only just begun. Brace yourself for a long bitter campaign and final victory

IMO most things the club does just seems to be, for want of a better word, 'lame.'

The new logo looks like it was designed by a high school student
The crow cawing after goals is embarassing
the graphics and music on Crow TV are amateurish
'My People' as a pre-game song is the kind of thing a Dad might pick to try and be cool
Our cheer-squad would have to be one of the worst in the league. "Adelaide" clap clap clap is the one and only chant they've come up with in 25 years.

Time for fresh ideas. Maybe hire an outside consultancy firm to help.

Get rid of the incredibly forced and embarrassing 19th Man concept and 73% of your marketing lameness disappears over night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah who cares that port, our number 1 rival, have a much better marketing dept, a tight grip on one of the biggest weekends on the football calendar and a better sanfl deal than us.

Note to self...**think south Adelaide...**

19th Man is good, the people in charge of selling it to the supporters aren't. Worked well during and immediately after the Collingwood game, smarter people would of taken more advantage of that. Has caught on with the media and interstate, wouldn't be a lot of other clubs marketing concepts that have done that. I can think of Ports and... well no one.

The same people wouldn't come up with anything better and better people would make it work very well. Wouldn't get another concept up and going with current form anyway.

Only when you are winning.

We didnt make the Finals this year, and still lead the AFL in average crowds.

This has nothing to do with the 19th man concept though. As a port supporter I hope you keep it, it is forced and lame. When you see Phil Walsh through gritted teeth refer to the 19th Man 5 times in his first media appearance, you know it is a forced directive from above desperately trying to push it and it not taking hold after 2 years. When Rowey screams that the 19th man demands to know, you know he's been told to push it. I remember him asking Fagan if they were going to keep the 19th Man concept in his first interview, this illustrates that it still has not been accepted. It is forced and I thought your new board would have recognized that, it's kind of like New Coke. It hasn't worked guys, move on.

Awwe little princess still upset. Sounds like you could use a packet of that harmless heroin or was it cigarettes? Same thing.

Mike Smyth with the meltdown -

What on earth are you talking about? Considering you've de-railed your own thread, I'll humour you - I've never smoked a cigarrette or used heroin in my entire life..

so I don't know what you are on about...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back