2015 Brisbane Lions Board Elections - Democracy comes to town Dec 17th

Remove this Banner Ad

Well no. I addressed your question which asked where were these candidates when we were doing poorly. I also addressed your question which asked if we should have a healthy suspicion of some of the candidates motives. A part of my answer was premised on the use of some. Although posting on a forum its hard to do anything but take text at face value.

I merely disagreed with some of what you said. I would have preferred no response if I knew it would be as ill thought out as that.

My thinking for using the word "some" was simply accounting for the fact that Thornton did have his hat in the ring in previous, less optimistic times. I didn't anticipate it would be read another way.

I'm with TBD.

Short of Thornton & in a sense, Kleimt via TLR, for the past 10 years the club has been dying off field in the absence of anyone trying to take action. And it is beyond frustrating to me that once some change has taken place for the better, we get candidates proclaiming they can help.

Progress begets progress, I get that, but I reserve my right to ask where some of the candidates were when the club was on its knees.

I'm with TBD.

Short of Thornton & in a sense, Kleimt via TLR, for the past 10 years the club has been dying off field in the absence of anyone trying to take action. And it is beyond frustrating to me that once some change has taken place for the better, we get candidates proclaiming they can help.

Progress begets progress, I get that, but I reserve my right to ask where some of the candidates were when the club was on its knees.
Yep, throw Raleigh into that mix as well. (Whether any of those are suitable candidates is for individuals to decide) but their involvement or interest in involvement with club administration is noted and dates back to some of the worst times in our board's history.
So where were "some" of these folk last year?, is the right question. It may not matter if they are the right person now, but the question is valid and remains.

And who the bloody hell is Julie Greenwood??

And who the bloody hell is Julie Greenwood??

I am pretty sure I know who Julie Greenwood is. If it is who I think she is, she's in her mid to late thirties, and has expressed angst at a number of past AGMs about the lack of engagement and communication with fans on a range of issues and an ivory tower mentality from previous board members. She would very much be in the "rank and file member who wants to keep the bastards honest" style.

Seems a passionate club person and has expressed her appreciation to the Lion's Roar guys a few times. Also have vague memories of her indicating she has expressed interest in running for the board in previous years and has encountered some roadblocks.

Didn't chat to her long enough to inquire what her professional background is. Seemed absolutely ridgy didge in terms of caring passionately about the club from a supporter's perspective though. Nice lady, and seemed like she was no fool. Clearly she needs to get out there and let people know what she is all about though.

I am pretty sure I know who Julie Greenwood is. If it is who I think she is, she's in her mid to late thirties, and has expressed angst at a number of past AGMs about the lack of engagement and communication with fans on a range of issues and an ivory tower mentality from previous board members. She would very much be in the "rank and file member who wants to keep the bastards honest" style.

Seems a passionate club person and has expressed her appreciation to the Lion's Roar guys a few times. Also have vague memories of her indicating she has expressed interest in running for the board in previous years and has encountered some roadblocks.

Didn't chat to her long enough to inquire what her professional background is. Seemed absolutely ridgy didge in terms of caring passionately about the club from a supporter's perspective though. Nice lady, and seemed like she was no fool. Clearly she needs to get out there and let people know what she is all about though.
Cheers. Sounds reminiscent of a lady at the members' forum a couple of months ago, not backward in being forward in asking "what are you doing about this?" and with suggestions of engaging/communicating better. (Of course there could be more than one of those 'types', but that lady presented as a real advocate for members).
Will be interesting in finding out more about her professional experience/qualifications.

Cheers. Sounds reminiscent of a lady at the members' forum a couple of months ago, not backward in being forward in asking "what are you doing about this?" and with suggestions of engaging/communicating better. (Of course there could be more than one of those 'types', but that lady presented as a real advocate for members).
Will be interesting in finding out more about her professional experience/qualifications.

I'd assume it would be hard to find someone evenly balanced and not too fanatical but would be a great addition if we had someone who's main interest was in members' interests.

I'd assume it would be hard to find someone evenly balanced and not too fanatical but would be a great addition if we had someone who's main interest was in members' interests.
I'm not even certain they'd have to be very evenly balanced. Doesn't hurt to have a board member pushing club members' agendas, I reckon. It fires debate which forces extra thought, not that you want the board arguing over everything either, but a bit of a leaning toward members' rights and at least right to know things would be good.

(Just by the way, I think James Kliemt ticks that box as well).

I'm not even certain they'd have to be very evenly balanced. Doesn't hurt to have a board member pushing club members' agendas, I reckon. It fires debate which forces extra thought, not that you want the board arguing over everything either, but a bit of a leaning toward members' rights and at least right to know things would be good.

(Just by the way, I think James Kliemt ticks that box as well).

I pretty much agree with what you said. You absolutely want debate and discussion over matters. What you wouldn't want though is someone who wouldn't budge or be reasonable on matters. Someone who can't meet at halfway etc etc.

I don't know much about James Kliemt but all of the guys and ladies involved with TLR seem very reasonable to deal with - so it could be a good fit.

I pretty much agree with what you said. You absolutely want debate and discussion over matters. What you wouldn't want though is someone who wouldn't budge or be reasonable on matters. Someone who can't meet at halfway etc etc.

I don't know much about James Kliemt but all of the guys and ladies involved with TLR seem very reasonable to deal with - so it could be a good fit.
Yeah, that's the tough thing, and I guess depends on anyone's definition of "balanced" too. Someone who knows when to bend on the various issues without just rolling over on any. In reality, that's something we won't absolutely know about any candidate or board member, and hence the entire board needs a clear understanding of that trust. I suspect a good number over the years either had no comprehension of this trust that was placed, or just didn't care. It's not just economic or functional decisions that need to be made, more care has to be taken in considering what the members would think or want.

How did Jacqui Lambie get into this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One Tasmanian we pretend really isn't ours. Then again, up here we own Clive.

Was flicking through the TV channels on the weekend and I saw that Clive was sprucing his Victorian heritage when announcing his candidates there...

Rizzler, while I am all for bringing greater member representation to the board, I have a couple of questions regarding your campaigning platform quoted above.

What is your logic regarding moving the premiership cups from their current location to the Gabba, from a business perspective? Having a quick look at the club's 2013 financial report (that was the first result on google), the social club was our single largest gross revenue generator and adds an important non-footy injection of funds. Now, given our financial situation and the social club's importance in that regard, I would think that having things like the premiership cups housed at the club's social venue help lend legitimacy to the connection to our club and provide drawing power for supporters to this crucial off-field arm of our business. This social club isn't an inconsequential bar in the suburbs, but a key revenue source (120,000+ members on board apparently, so they've had more than a few visitors since they opened).

If the cups are to be moved to the Gabba, where do you propose they will be located? Will the location be accessible by members from all sections, who enter via a number of different gates? Is the suggestion that housing the premiership cups at the Gabba that fans who would otherwise watch on TV will buy tickets to get a look at what was previously on display at our social club? Further, who will be responsible for safely transporting these cups interstate every few weeks? Where will they be securely displayed? At the opposition's stadium? Have the logistics to these concerns been considered before being cast as promises?

This just seems like a fairly pithy platform to pin your campaign to, with more than a hint of cynical politicking, and not necessarily well thought out. If it is an essential move as you have stated, *why* is it essential to the forward progress of our club?

7. I will be personally contactable at all times by all fans while on the board and invite fans to email me at any time atchristopher.raleigh@qut.edu.au.

Rizzler?

7. I will be personally contactable at all times by all fans while on the board and invite fans to email me at any time atchristopher.raleigh@qut.edu.au.

Rizzler?
"What is your logic regarding moving the premiership cups from their current location to the Gabba, from a business perspective? Having a quick look at the club's 2013 financial report (that was the first result on google), the social club was our single largest gross revenue generator and adds an important non-footy injection of funds"

My reason for wanting to move the Cups back to the Gabba is from personal experience attending the social club solely for the reason of seeing the Cups. The Cups are in an awkward position behind the sign in desk at the social club. It's not possible to actually look at and enjoy the cups without looking like you are staring into the eyes of the social club staff instead. While the social club is a fantastic source of revenue for the Club I don't think having the Cups there is essential. I encourage you to go the social club and see this for yourself if you have not already. I have not made any criticisms of the social club. My comments were purely based on my opinion the Cups should be permanently based at the Gabba to improve the game day experience for fans. You are entitled to think otherwise.

"I would think that having things like the premiership cups housed at the club's social venue help lend legitimacy to the connection to our club and provide drawing power for supporters to this crucial off-field arm of our business".

My personal opinion is that the Cups should be based at the Gabba. I am confident this will not adversely affect the revenue generated at the social club.

"This social club isn't an inconsequential bar in the suburbs, but a key revenue source (120,000+ members on board apparently, so they've had more than a few visitors since they opened)"

Agreed, I have made no comments to contradict this.

"If the cups are to be moved to the Gabba, where do you propose they will be located? Will the location be accessible by members from all sections, who enter via a number of different gates?"

This is yet to be determined but would aim to put them in a position accessible by member from all sections. There is a glass viewing section near the Gate 5 entrance and the TAB. This used to be rented out by Champions Framing but has been empty the last couple of seasons. This may be the most ideal place but I would obviously look at all options before deciding this.

"Further, who will be responsible for safely transporting these cups interstate every few weeks?"

I made the comment that the Cups will be on display at all Lions games in Melbourne. The Lions unfortunately only play 5 games in Melbourne in 2015 so they won't be transported interstate every few weeks.

Is the suggestion that housing the premiership cups at the Gabba that fans who would otherwise watch on TV will buy tickets to get a look at what was previously on display at our social club?

No, the suggestion is that fans who attend the games at the Gabba will have the extra benefit of seeing the premiership Cups on display without having to travel to the social club.

"Where will they be securely displayed? At the opposition's stadium? Have the logistics to these concerns been considered before being cast as promises?"

They will be securely displayed in the Lions Historical Society Museum at Etihad Stadium for the 4 Etihad Stadium games and a yet to be determined place for the 1 game the Lions play at the MCG.

"This just seems like a fairly pithy platform to pin your campaign to"

The comments about the Cups are not the platform to pin my campaign to. My campaign over the last 12 months has involved attending every pre-season game and nearly every game during the season around the country (and New Zealand) and meeting with members and discussing my intentions to run for the board. You'll also see I've been vocal about other issues regarding the Club over the last year:

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...springfield-move/story-fnia3y5g-1226945974124

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...er-bob-sharpless/story-fni5f4q3-1226940478436

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...ing-legal-facade/story-fni5f4q3-1226735685319

"and not necessarily well thought out."....."If it is an essential move as you have stated, *why* is it essential to the forward progress of our club?"

In my opinion this is an essential move based on my own personal experience of attending Lions games at the Gabba for the 11 seasons since 2003 and wishing I could see the Cups on display at half time during the games. If thinking of something for 11 years means it is not well thought out I am very surprised.

Last edited:
Interesting article on Di Bella in last weekend's SMH Good Weekend magazine.

Not necessarily all that complimentary but maybe a successful businessman stirrer is what we need on the Board.

Any rate, if all he is pushing is coffee then there can't be much chance of any conflict of interest.

Interesting article on Di Bella in last weekend's SMH Good Weekend magazine.

Not necessarily all that complimentary but maybe a successful businessman stirrer is what we need on the Board.

Any rate, if all he is pushing is coffee then there can't be much chance of any conflict of interest.
Seriously? Is "businessman stirrer" a euphemism for egotistical, megalomaniacal, narcissistic bogan? With very, very close ties to a political party and a couple of individuals in particular, I wouldn't trust that coffee is "all he is pushing".

Seriously? Is "businessman stirrer" a euphemism for egotistical, megalomaniacal, narcissistic bogan? With very, very close ties to a political party and a couple of individuals in particular, I wouldn't trust that coffee is "all he is pushing".

He'd only be short term, 30kg's over weight, he can't last too long.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back