News Bob Murphy named Next WB Captain

Who would you prefer to be the next WB Captain?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep Bobby/Libba Capt and VC I'm hearing which is no surprise. DVC I'm not sure yet...Minson or Wallis?

A strong Leadership group needs to be brought back to the club too. Has proven a Disastrous move to not have one this season.

agree that the lack of a leadership group was a horrible decision.

tom libba getting an official leadership role is a bit of a surprise. good mate of mine who was on the list last yar reckons he's grown up heaps, really admired and rescpted by coaching and playing group - even senior players looked to libba to stand up and win the ball in the clutch (and BMac referred to it in numerous post game pressers after close matches).

...he just doesn't seem like an obvious choice as VC from the outside looking in. surly, introverted. can't imagine him fronting up to a sponsor's Xmas party and pressing the flesh happily.

Wow I dont know if I like this. I've heard things about Libba that suggest he may not be the best captain. These arent bad things about his character, just that they suggest he might not be the right fit for the role.

Given the result of our previous captain, I feel this may be a big mistake.
What if Libba was the one who said he wanted the role?

Libba is a different style of leader. He flies the flag. He is the first into a scrap to help out a teammate. From that respect there's no questioning his leadership. He is also one of our best players. A true bulldog. A hot head where as Griffen was reserved. Passive.

Whilst Griffen was also a great player, he exhibited none of the other facets that Libba displays.

If it turns out Libba is vice then that's cool by me. Again, he may not be the front man we want in front of the cameras, but he is there for his teammates where it counts.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Congrats Bob. Great choice - even if it ends up being only for one year - and it's just reward for a loyal player who turned down big offers to go elsewhere in his prime.

I know someone will find a negative aspect to it somewhere but he's a good communicator (certainly compared to his predecessor) and if necessary he should be able to represent the players interests to the hierarchy.

He should also be someone the players will be happy to follow into battle. Sets a great example.

Congratulations Bob, very happy to have you as captain of our club. Let's bring some pride back to Whitten Oval.

"Sing along with the common people, sing along and it might just get you thru'

I want to live with common people, I want to live with common people".

Whoop whoop!

I've wanted the Murph as captain ever since Johnno retired.

Great player, great bloke, a real leader, a real Bulldog, respected unanimously at the club and in the footy world, has an excellent media profile, you can't ask for anything more in a captain.

Congrats Bob :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Back