Preview National Draft discussion (Picks 14, 35, 43, 58)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dan McKenzie would be a great get as a medium running defender so that smithers can push into midfield eventually...unfort will probably go just before our second pick
Would be pants around the ankles, laps of the table (is that the quote) stuff if he was still floating around at #2.

Watched a few videos today... I like any of Wright, Lever and Langford. Goddard looked good too (probably better than Lever IMO) but I assume he will be gone by our pick.

Don't think much of the look of Marchbank, although this is based on about 3 minutes of footage so I would trust our recruiters over my opinion.

You're not quite right. ;)
What if GWS go Laverde at #4?
Collingwood then have to decide on Pickett or Langford.
GWS are in reasonable shape either way.
Unless GWS go Goddard at #4?
Aaaaagh it's the bloody GWS picks that are going to shape this draft.
Think they will go Pickett, Goddard, Wright. Perfect mix.

Hope GWS don't take wright because it sounds like the cats will take lever if wright is off the table.

If the Crows get a combination of Lever/Wright/Cockatoo/Langford at pick 14.
Menadue/Maynard/Rainbow/MacDonald/Gartlett/Ramsey or either McKenzie at pick 35/43.
Foster/Howe/Hamilton at pick 59.
I'll be a very happy supporter.

And gws are usually entirely unpredictable !

And gws are usually entirely unpredictable !

Geelong pick is also draft-defining for us. If both Wright and Lever are there at 10, you'd think they'd go one of them which would leave the other to us.
How ironic that the pick we handed to them, ends up being so decisive to us!! Although...we could've just kept it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having another look at the players invited for the top ten there was already more than ten. Before Durdin and Langford got the late invatations so that makes me think Langford is going to Collingwood and i'm not sure about Durdin.

isnt cockatoo a relative of macca if so there a good pedigree there id take him in a heart beat

They're just backups in case GWS does something unexpected.

I think its a bit rough having people say "if we draft <player x> I will be disappointed" with it being mostly based on a very rough 2-3 minute highlights package and a handful of mixed comments by draft experts. I am still excited about who we are going to draft, but the gap between trade week and draft day is way too long and has created WAY too much speculation. The AFL has to have a good hard look at itself cause its not right. If we are all thinking who is going where and getting nervous imagine how the players waiting to get drafted feel. Should be like a bandaid with a quick rip and its all over. :p

Like I have previously said, I believe our recruiters have done a pretty awesome job previously and will back them to make the right decision with our picks. Look at what they achieved last year with Crouch MKII and (Cant say no to) CC. If they think the guy we want will be available at 14 then who am I to judge as someone looking on? Yes we have needs and from the sounds of things we will still be in a good position at 14 regardless of what way the picks do ACTUALLY go before us. Getting us 35 in a deep draft is obviously a sign that our recruiters feel that we will have a good option available then too and it was worth an exchange of picks.

I look forward to sitting back with a beer and seeing how it all turns out.

Go the Crows.

Last edited:
Agree with this, surprised if pies overlook laverde- gun, deGoey big chance for cats and weller or cockatoo for eagles. Hopefully tigers go for ellis and our options are looking good. Worst case scenario is gws go Goddard and lever with 6 and 7

Goddard and Lever are both key defenders, which is good for us as it is extremely unlikely that any club would use two of their 3 top 7 selections on defenders. After taking Pickett at 4, it's a safe bet that GWS will take Goddard and either Wright or a mid with 6 and 7. Hopefully they take Ahern or something. I'd love either Wright or Lever to drop to us. Lever is my first preference.

Having another look at the players invited for the top ten there was already more than ten. Before Durdin and Langford got the late invatations so that makes me think Langford is going to Collingwood and i'm not sure about Durdin.
How do u know who gets invites?

Gws will take Pickett.
Pies are the unknown.. Hopefully take Langford as this will be good for crows
Gws then need to select another mid hopefully ahern and goddard.
Gc seem to have locked in duggan
Then cats have choice of Wright, Lever, Weller, De goey or Durdin.
If it all pans out like this it will be gold for afc as wel get 1 of them.

Not sure if anyone has linked to this yet: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-11-24/crows-wont-flock-to-talls

Key comments from Hamish Ogilvie...

- ADELAIDE recruiter Hamish Ogilvie has confirmed the club has eyes on VFL ruckman Sam Tagliabue – but says he’s just one of a stack of state league talls on the radar.
- Ogilvie told AFL.com.au that acquiring tall talent remained a focus, but insisted the club wouldn't be blinded by short-term thinking at Thursday's NAB AFL Draft.
- “(Gold Coast recruiting guru) Scott Clayton said 'if you know you need a tall and you go too hard on needs, you end up missing a Joel Selwood'.
- Ogilvie said it was almost impossibly tough to separate players in the pick No. 8-20 range, which led to the club downgrading its first pick from No.10 to No. 14 in order to upgrade its late picks.
- Ogilvie was adamant serious value could also be found with the club's three remaining selections.

Goddard and Lever are both key defenders, which is good for us as it is extremely unlikely that any club would use two of their 3 top 7 selections on defenders. After taking Pickett at 4, it's a safe bet that GWS will take Goddard and either Wright or a mid with 6 and 7. Hopefully they take Ahern or something. I'd love either Wright or Lever to drop to us. Lever is my first preference.
Agreed, just a worst case scenario. Reckon they will take Pickett, Goddard and one of deGoey/Ahern but they do some strange things so you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back