Let's talk Ports!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine the ANZAC one would have a commemorative ANZAC logo or a poppy on it or something of the sort. Not sure. Does Lockhart Road know anything?

Hang on... I'll check with Mrs Road and get back to you.

PS: Safe bet we won't be disappointed with any of the three special 2015 strips.

Port should wear the prison bar guernsey on ANZAC Day.
Not sure given POW's that Prison bars is the best choice for Anzac Day. Doesn't bother me, but given there are multiple special rounds it's a potential bad press situation that can be avoided by using the PB's on a different occasion.

Not sure given POW's that Prison bars is the best choice for Anzac Day. Doesn't bother me, but given there are multiple special rounds it's a potential bad press situation that can be avoided by using the PB's on a different occasion.

Given that the Club's fallen - including Peter Chant - wore the Prison Bars, my feel is that it would be a fitting tribute to wear the heritage strip on ANZAC Day.

If it was a barbed wire symbol you were talking about then I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.

They aren't prison bars they are wharf pylons. Maybe its a good vehicle to get the message out there about what they truly represent, not some made up bullshit from our sanfl competitors and their simple media mates.

Given that the Club's fallen - including Peter Chant - wore the Prison Bars, my feel is that it would be a fitting tribute to wear the heritage strip on ANZAC Day.

If it was a barbed wire symbol you were talking about then I'd agree with you wholeheartedly.
I don't have a problem with it, I can just see the usual 'Anything Port = bad' mob trying to spin it as disrespectful and it ends up a distraction rather than unequivocally a tribute. I trust the clubs judgement though.

It's been brought to our attention by St Mark on the FJGD board that, along with our home, clash and pre-season jumpers, we will have an additional three one-off jumpers, see below. There are no images, however, just titles. Goodscore is a reliable website that always brings out guernsey info before the club releases them 'officially'.

https://www.goodscore.com.au/product/port-power-2015-mens-anzac-guernsey-size-sml/
https://www.goodscore.com.au/product/port-power-2015-mens-indigenous-guernsey-size-lge/
https://www.goodscore.com.au/product/port-power-2015-mens-heritage-guernsey-size-3xl/

Any ideas as to what they might be?

Bloody hell is heritage round is back?? 2007 we get to wear the traditional Magpies jumper after the s**t fight with Collingwood with the deal we can wear it at home ( not sure about away) and as long as we aren't playing collingwood, and then they cancel it for 2008 and beyond.

Port should wear the prison bar guernsey on ANZAC Day.
I was trying to figure out how we could justify wearing it in 2015. Good idea. 59 people have gone to war from wearing the PB's, 10 have died. Could have their names on the jumper and give them to relatives/RSL for keeps or auction.

Prison bar is just media and supporter shorthand. Personally I prefer to call it the wharf pylon jumper.

But as this is the centenary ANZAC celebration and we were wearing the design then I think it's a perfectly legitimate use of the guernsey.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bloody hell is heritage round is back?? 2007 we get to wear the traditional Magpies jumper after the s**t fight with Collingwood with the deal we can wear it at home ( not sure about away) and as long as we aren't playing collingwood, and then they cancel it for 2008 and beyond.
No, heritage round is never coming back. It was only a profitable exercise for some of the clubs – Essendon didn't have much to fall back on in way of heritage designs, nor did Melbourne, or Adelaide, or Collingwood and now GWS and GC won't either.

It's up to the individual club to release heritage jumpers to wear on whatever occasion they wish, with the AFL's approval. Us, Carlton and Brisbane have done it recently – and Carlton and Brisbane have even reverted back to their old home strips for 2015, with Carlton re-adopting their old monogram and Brisbane bringing back the square yoke and the Fitzroy lion.

I was trying to figure out how we could justify wearing it in 2015. Good idea. 59 people have gone to war from wearing the PB's, 10 have died. Could have their names on the jumper and give them to relatives/RSL for keeps or auction.
Justify it? It's our jumper so we can wheel it out once a year if we want, and we should.

I don't have a problem with it, I can just see the usual 'Anything Port = bad' mob trying to spin it as disrespectful and it ends up a distraction rather than unequivocally a tribute. I trust the clubs judgement though.
If you want to talk about disrespect, what about the mob down the road wanting to wear the state jumper in the Showdown? If anybody wants to lecture me about my club having no respect, my simple 5 word response would be, "Hello pot: this is kettle."

Cheer Squad AGM 7 p.m. 28/11 at the Port Club. Usually a 100 or so people there. 'AGM' and 'interesting' are concepts it's hard to convince people should be linked. But with no fear of being dragooned onto the Committee it's safe to wander down and hear a bit about the events and successes of the CS in 2014 and a little of what's planned for 2015. Pam Cornes will be there (play nice!) spruiking blood donations/the Red Cross.
There will be the ability to sign up for 2015, has been $20 for some years now. No resultant obligation to make banners, or sit in the CS area. More that you have access to a tier of information, plus priority for away tickets (subject to a variable cap) and CS-organised transport.

Surely this is a bigger issue for St Kilda, who wear the colours of imperial Germany (and actually changed said colours during the WWI years).

Just watched Vossy's presser from when he signed on

Gee its gutsy sitting in that seat; you can see how awkward he feels about being talked up as this football god and Hinkley acting like he thinks Vossy is almost better than he is as coach - very humbling of Voss and gee it would be tough for a guy with a healthy ego to be shown as subordinate to Hinkley like that. Impressive, and shows he wants it.

I guess I am saying I am done being bitter about Vossy.

Depth chart:

Midfielders:
Boak
Gray
Ebert
Hartlett
Wines
Polec
Cornes
White
Moore
Young
Mitchell

Half back flankers/small defenders:
Broadbent
Pittard
O'Shea
Impey
Colquhoun
Byrne-Jones
Russell*
Flynn*

Small/half forwards:
Wingard
Monfries
Neade
Amon
S. Gray*
Ah Chee
Wagner*
Palmer

Key position forwards:
Schulz
Butcher
Shaw
Harvey
Howard

Key position defenders:
Carlile
Trengove
Jonas
Hombsch
Clurey
Austin

Ruckman:
Lobbe
Ryder
Redden
Frampton

Utility:
Westhoff
Stewart

Had lunch today with Dave Banner in Coyote (Mexican) on Lockhart.

We both had Cajun tenderloin medium and drank Tsingtao (pronounced Ching Tao in Hong Kong, Ching Dao in China and Ttt...sssing Toe in Oz).

Dave's flying back to 5015 as we speak, bursting with ideas for the PoW and Port Club.

Watch out next week ... could become worth its own thread.

Had lunch today with Dave Banner in Coyote (Mexican) on Lockhart.

We both had Cajun tenderloin medium and drank Tsingtao (pronounced Ching Tao in Hong Kong, Ching Dao in China and Ttt...sssing Toe in Oz).

Dave's flying back to 5015 as we speak, bursting with ideas for the PoW and Port Club.

Watch out next week ... could become worth its own thread.

Great that you caught up with Dave, LR. He told me he wanted to have a few brain storming sessions in January to see how he could drive business at the club's two venues over summer. Sounds like they might be cancelled. :thumbsu:

Great that you caught up with Dave, LR. He told me he wanted to have a few brain storming sessions in January to see how he could drive business at the club's two venues over summer. Sounds like they might be cancelled. :thumbsu:

He'll still be having those sessions with you, REH, don't worry. They'll be entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back