If your club were to retire one guernsey number, which would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't mind it as a temporary tribute, but don't think it's the sort of thing that should be done long term. One of the great things about footy is that it's cyclical - everything moves on and everything is reborn. Retiring a number permanently breaks that cycle. Jason McCartney's no. 5 might have been a nice one to retire for a year or so in the honour of the Bali Bombing victims, but I'm equally as comfortable with the decision to not do something like that.

I don't really agree with retiring a number, but for the sake of the question, it'd be Ablett's #9 for sure. Without him, we'd be a completely different and an arguably lesser club.

Retiring numbers is stupid and is a disgrace and an insult to anyone who actually represented the number.

Retiring a number puts individuals above the club. Completely in contradiction to the culture of a sports club.

Stupid. Super Stupid.

number 50.. the number no one wants or uses, and isn't going to have its proud tradition trashed by apeing some American custom, that actually removes history from our sight, ruins the continuity of club history, and implies that the player is greater than the Guernsey.

Hughes ODI number was 64. That has been retired.

His test number was 408 but every test player ever has their own individual number
Cheers for the correction. Cant remember where i got 68 from. And thats what I meant his odi number is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few international sports have retired jumper numbers, honouring the previous greats of the team (or the unfortunate passing of favourites).

Seems a bit odd that we are one of the few sports who don't follow this tradition.

Which sports outside of the US do it? I know it's happened a couple of times in soccer because a player had died but that's about it.

I think another player wearing the number does more for the legacy of the previous players who wore it than retiring it does.

For instance commentators often make references to the famous number 14 on Craig Bird's jumper during games. If it was retired you'd rarely hear mention of Kelly or Skilton.

36. Retire it and fire it.

Out of a cannon, into the sun. Nothing short of a voodoo ritual will cure that number. It should never be worn again. RIP Zac Webster.

any one done 69 yet (pun intended)

What, you mean satay chicken with fried rice? #53 should definitely be retired- the squid's rubbery.

Numbers should only be retired if they mean something greater than sport, e.g., #42, Jackie Robinson. Or maybe a death.

What happens when jumpers have names on the back? There are some names I'd like to see retired!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back