If your club were to retire one guernsey number, which would it be?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love US sports, but have no wish to take the retired number concept. It's not like the NBA teams are consistent with it anyway: you can pretty much forget having your number retired by the Lakers, unless you had a Hall of Fame career in LA; on the other hand, Miami actually decided to do this (and it wasn't an April Fool's joke):

The entire NHL retired the number 99 in recognition of Wayne Gretzky. I think the AFL should do something like that with the No.3 to honour Leigh Matthews.

The entire NHL retired the number 99 in recognition of Wayne Gretzky. I think the AFL should do something like that with the No.3 to honour Leigh Matthews.

Gretzky v Matthews

Gretzky trophys

28755too_many_trophies.jpg

Matthews trophy

IFWT-GOLD-POOP.png

For Gretzky, think Bradman's batting average. He wasn't just the best, he was the best by a very long way.

On averages he was well ahead of everyone else, but not by quite as much as Bradman.

Matthews isn't a statistical outlier. Gretzky owns 60 NHL records.

Yes, nobody in our game has achieved the Matthews level of statistical achievement, and this is the same with Gretzky. It doesn't make sense to compare the number of records since different sports and competitions acknowledge different records.

In terms of statistical outliers though, Gretzky and Matthews are on a par.

On averages he was well ahead of everyone else, but not by quite as much as Bradman.

Yes, nobody in our game has achieved the Matthews level of statistical achievement, and this is the same with Gretzky. It doesn't make sense to compare the number of records since different sports and competitions acknowledge different records.

what statistics?

He's really not.

There is no debate about Gretzky being The Best Ever Hockey player.

Matthews case for being the best AFL player can definitely be argued.

He's really not.

There is no debate about Gretzky being The Best Ever Hockey player.

There is a debate, but it's a dumb one in my opinion, for Mario Lemieux.

There is a similarly dumb debate against Matthews.

The obvious answer is Gretzky and Matthews, as nobody dominated the game as they did.

There is a debate, but it's a dumb one in my opinion, for Mario Lemieux.

No, there really isn't.

There is a similarly dumb debate against Matthews.

Hayden Bunton, Ron Barassi, Polly Farmer...

The obvious answer is Gretzky. and Matthews, as nobody dominated the game as they did.

I inserted a full stop, because they shouldn't be in the same sentence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, there really isn't.

There certainly is. Many have argued that if Mario didn't have such an injury interrupted career he would've done better. In terms of averages he is very close to Gretzky. The debate exists, it's just not a valid one in my opinion.

I inserted a full stop, because they shouldn't be in the same sentence.

Agree to disagree, I feel that Matthews is the Wayne Gretzky of his time in terms of his performance on the field. The only difference is that Gretzky was universally loved certainly in Edmonton, but then also throughout the NHL.

There certainly is. Many have argued that if Mario didn't have such an injury interrupted career he would've done better. In terms of averages he is very close to Gretzky. The debate exists, it's just not a valid one in my opinion.

Then the same argument could be made for Eric Lindros.

Also, the Matthews debate is missing Skilton.

Eric Lindros averages aren't even close to Gretzky's, mario's were. Gretzky is still the GOAT, he has a higher average and it's harder to maintain that average of his over more games.

I'm not sure what your argument is for Bob Skilton, his stats don't approach Matthews' either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back