Delisted #15: Courtenay Dempsey - Delisted - 28/10

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of talk about guys like Dalgleish, Gleeson and Browne lining up positions in the seniors.

Dempsey isn't the lock that he was in 2013. With a few blokes lining him up, wouldn't be surprised to see him play some games with the VFL Bombers due to form. 2014 wasn't exactly blistering considering we know how well he can play.

Is this something you've heard from someone who might know something or is it just BF speculation?

Bit of talk about guys like Dalgleish, Gleeson and Browne lining up positions in the seniors.

Dempsey isn't the lock that he was in 2013. With a few blokes lining him up, wouldn't be surprised to see him play some games with the VFL Bombers due to form. 2014 wasn't exactly blistering considering we know how well he can play.
I'm concerned about what it might mean that he has developed a habit of dropping the ball while running. It says something about just how tight he is and how much pressure he is feeling. Hope he can settle down this year...

Dempsey had a poor preseason and had a few hiccups as a result which lead to poor performance. If things have changed then i dont see why he cant better 2013

I'm concerned about what it might mean that he has developed a habit of dropping the ball while running.
Relax, all part of the gameplan.

xkMqE0s.gif

Relax, all part of the gameplan.

xkMqE0s.gif

People marvel at the lucky backheel but his ability to get a loose ( hot ball ) amongst a group of players, weave through the pack, and run away from the group was fantastic

He's going have to work for his spot. Going into the NAB cup we have 8 AFL level defenders (Hooker, Hurley, Hibberd, Baguley, Fletcher, Dempsey, Gwilt and Gleeson). Imagine the logjam if one or more of Ashby, Edwards, Dalgliesh or Langford stands up in the NAB cup.

He surpasses all three on defensive ability and Browne isn't in our top 30, let alone best 22.
On exposed form, yes. But who knows how the younger guys are progressing, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few new faces in the side come round 1.

On exposed form, yes. But who knows how the younger guys are progressing, it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few new faces in the side come round 1.
I suppose this gets said every year, but this time around i don't see how the new faces get a look in... Last year they left out Howlett which was interesting but hardly breath taking. This year people seem to think it will be Stanton or dempsey which i think is highly unlikely. Zach is the one who should watch his back i think.
But when it comes down to it, if there are no injuries we may finally see a predictable side fielded round one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm the opposite. I can see just about anyone breaking into the side, simply because we have no idea who is having a brilliant preseason and who is having a crap one. Just like last year, most people wrote Gleeson off as being too skinny to play much but he probably would have played most games had he stayed injury free. Likewise, someone might have a series of little niggles that stop them from having a proper preseason and end up overtaken by someone else. I think Dempsey is a perennial 'will he make it this year?' because of some perceived attitude problems that could affect his training, but really it could be anyone.

I'm the opposite. I can see just about anyone breaking into the side, simply because we have no idea who is having a brilliant preseason and who is having a crap one. Just like last year, most people wrote Gleeson off as being too skinny to play much but he probably would have played most games had he stayed injury free. Likewise, someone might have a series of little niggles that stop them from having a proper preseason and end up overtaken by someone else. I think Dempsey is a perennial 'will he make it this year?' because of some perceived attitude problems that could affect his training, but really it could be anyone.
You are just used to spots being up for grabs. Every previous year there has been the likes of Jetta, Howlett and Hardi in the presumed side. Of course that leaves it wide open for others to grab a spot.

I think hes a lock round 1. Dempsey is versatile and can play several positions, and has plenty of experience.
I hope the likes of Gleeson, Dalgleish & Browne push into the side on a regular basis (Gleeson is well ahead of the other 2), but I just cant see how they'd get a run ahead of Dempsey round 1 in Sydney where experience will be valued

Dempsey had an injury interrupted year last year and there was the behaviour stuff. There is no doubt the personal stuff would have been a drag on him also.
I am hoping this is the year he really smashes the comp into little pieces. If he and Hibberd both have a big season then the opposition can't tag them both and one will get off the leash. Hurely and Hooker finding form give a good structure for them to play around.

I'm backing in Hurley, Dempsey, Hibberd and Gwilt to give us ridiculously good delivery and run out of the backline to spark a return to the quick ball movement of years prior to 2014. However, it will be with the hard defensive edge that we saw in 2014.

Dempseys speed, acceleration, line breaking ability and his setting up of play is way too valuable to the side for now. We would be too slow without him. We actually missed him not being at his best last season (ie: became slow) we looked a much better side with Winderlich back and Colyer performing we just need Dempsey doing it at the same time and all of a sudden we arent that slow especially with the addition of Cooney and him being full fit.

Dempseys speed, acceleration, line breaking ability and his setting up of play is way too valuable to the side for now. We would be too slow without him. We actually missed him not being at his best last season (ie: became slow) we looked a much better side with Winderlich back and Colyer performing we just need Dempsey doing it at the same time and all of a sudden we arent that slow especially with the addition of Cooney and him being full fit.

Cooney, Colyer and Zaka up around the midfield, Winderlich up forward and Dempsey and Hibberd down back gives us enough speed across the ground. Bombers definitely a dark horse this year if we can have a decent run with injury.

Dempsey is so important and clearly best 22. It just pisses me off that he doesn't seem to care and turns up unprepared for preseason. If that's his attitude, I'd sooner give guys like Gleeson a game until it changes.

Cooney, Colyer and Zaka up around the midfield, Winderlich up forward and Dempsey and Hibberd down back gives us enough speed across the ground. Bombers definitely a dark horse this year if we can have a decent run with injury.
Totally agree.

Still i dont see Hibberd, Zacka as guys you've mentioned as being that quick.

Still i think if we can put forward career best seasons from Winders and Dempsey to align with Colyers 2014 and Cooney as an addition we can become quite dangerous. I think we have enough there now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back