List Mgmt. Which free agent should we be targeting?

Which free agent should we be throwing everything at?

• Dangerfield

Votes: 80 70.2%
  • Hawkins

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • Rance

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other

Votes: 19 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

So you give up anything for Sloane except what Adelaide would actually want?

You have to give up something to get something.
You don't think Adelaide would be interested in Grundy? After Jacobs don't have much going there way.

Grundy and our first rounder should suffice. Considering he won't be in contract. Or looking at the beams trade last year that would be a incredibly nice offer to them.

Infact, based on the beams trade our first rounder and second rounder would be enough IF we managed to get him to nominate us. Last season showed the trade protocol has changed, if a player wants to leave you'll never get market value. Griffin, Ryder and beams all proved that.

I just think Dangerfield will cost us too much, down the road that is, while a Rance or Hawkins would be a little cheaper and help us significantly too.

I would have thought Hawkins would command at the very least similar money to Dangerfield on the open market.

Tom Boyd is a perfect example of the huge money clubs are prepared to throw at key forwards and unlike Boyd Hawkins is a proven gun.

You don't think Adelaide would be interested in Grundy? After Jacobs don't have much going there way.

Jacobs works better as a solo ruck with Jenkins backing up. Grundy wouldn't get a game there. He might be good for the future but Adelaide aren't going to sell a player in their top 3 for a future best 22 player.

Grundy and our first rounder should suffice. Considering he won't be in contract. Or looking at the beams trade last year that would be a incredibly nice offer to them.

That would be like if we only got pick 5 and Crisp for Beams. Its not a nice offer to them at all.

Infact, based on the beams trade our first rounder and second rounder would be enough IF we managed to get him to nominate us.

No, it depends where we finish on the ladder. We only accepted Brisbane's second rounder because we knew we were going to get Greenwood.

Last season showed the trade protocol has changed, if a player wants to leave you'll never get market value. Griffin, Ryder and beams all proved that.

Yes and Adelaide would retaliate by convincing the South Australian boy they want to come home.

I would have thought Hawkins would command at the very least similar money to Dangerfield on the open market.

Tom Boyd is a perfect example of the huge money clubs are prepared to throw at key forwards and unlike Boyd Hawkins is a proven gun.
Goal returns of 62, 49 and 68 says to me that Hawkins is as proven a key forward as anyone in the competition, but I do agree he would demand close to the price of Dangerfield, but I believe it would rightfully be so, as midfielders, even the elite one's are more in number then key forwards.

I think he will stay at Geelong though, they were good to him in his early days when he was struggling, heck they basically handed him premierships even though he did little in some of those grand finals.

J.Cameron
Dangerfield
Treloar

Would be happy with one of those. Forget what's in the OPs poll.
Which part of "free agent" don't you understand?

Of course there's a hundred other players we could consider trading for, but Cameron and Treloar are not free agents and will not for a considerable time yet (8 year qualification period).

So maybe we should ignore your post instead.:p

There are some good guys on offer: Scott Selwood, Jack Steven, Alex Rance, Andrew Swallow, Nathan Jones, Brendan Whitecross, Matthew Suckling, Tom Hawkins, Patrick Dangerfield and Richard Douglas are those that jump off the page as guys who would fit the age demographic of our list.

If we're talking perfect fit/what we most need. Hawkins in the front half as a go to option to release Cloke to CHF where he is better suited would be ideal, closely followed by Dangerfield through the midfield with the injection of inside power/ball winning, and excellent footskills and scoreboard impact by position to replace the star power we've lost through the midfield.

In reality Dangerfield if he leaves would be more inclined to join Geelong, particularly if we remain outside the top 8. Hawkins similarly is hard to see leaving and certainly hard to see joining Collingwood.

Andrew Swallow I also really like from that group as a guy who you can rely on to play all 22 games every year but as captain of North Melbourne while I'd target him it's hard to see him leaving.

Jack Steven I feel can be a best 1-3 midfielder and largely is already and as such hard to see the Saints letting him go.

Nathan Jones is a heart and soul guy and while you'd love to have him similarly at Melbourne it's hard to see them letting him go.

Scott Selwood I'd love to have as a really good two way mid who can both win it or beat his direct opponent. Perhaps he can be had as one of West Coast's many good but not best few on list quality types. Back in 2007 I was shattered the Pies traded pick 15 for Cameron Wood (really wanting Scott Selwood at the time) and if he could be had as a free agent we could finally do away with Brent Macaffer which would make our midfield better.

Alex Rance as a key defender would be a significant upgrade on all of Keeffe/Brown/Frost and I'd take him in an instant. But with Richmond looking like potential top 4 team and maybe even a contender going into the future it's hard to see Rance leaving that for Collingwood.

Matthew Suckling is terrific and would be a strong list fit as a guy who could generate the drive we need off a back flank or wing depending on what we need. I tend to think he is overrated as a limited role player who receives more attention and kudos than he deserves and without great durability either, but if he isn't overpriced I'd love to have him as someone who like Young and Varcoe recently can inject some outside penetration and hurt factor that out team otherwise badly lacks to compliment the contested ball winners Hine and Rendell continue to bring into the club year after year.

Richard Douglas is another strong performer and hard to see Adelaide letting him go. Perhaps at a 1987 guy a fraction older than you'd ideally like but you'd take him if he can be had cheaply as someone who like all these others would improve the team.

Brendan Whitecross may be a guy who could be available depending on what he achieves this year. He is more a watchlist type but coming off a major injury usually it's slow going that first year back and a stronger return back to normal in that second year back so using that theory Whitecross could be a consideration. It likely would be Dom Milesi's call as an ex Hawthorn recruiter.

--
Brent Stanton and those Geelong veterans (S.Johnson/Bartel/Kelly/Enright) also interest me and even though obviously older. Stanton I feel can play into his 30s and if he can be had cheaply I wouldn't say no, and Geelong if they look after this season to get younger, I'd certainly look to those Geelong veterans if available to teach our young boys some tricks with all four of those guys best 40 players in the competition from the last 10 years.

Nathan Jones already re signed with Melbourne

Dangerfield and Suckling.

hqdefault.jpg

:p

One Patrick Dangerfield please.

Despite being a Geelong supporter he idolized Bucks growing up, playing under him could be a drawing card, and if we rise up the ladder this year as our youth come of age and Geelong fall as their older blokes finally slow down, I reckon we're a big shot.

Also, the mental image of these two blokes streaming through the middle of the MCG....
82149_f28427c336325c069482beb7e736f08b.jpg

Nathan+Freeman+AFL+U18+Championship+Rd+5+oUYC5OZdbl9l.jpg

I would die a happy man.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Infact, based on the beams trade our first rounder and second rounder would be enough IF we managed to get him to nominate us. Last season showed the trade protocol has changed, if a player wants to leave you'll never get market value. Griffin, Ryder and beams all proved that.

Why you so Keen to get Rid of Grundy?

IF he left we would only have Witts as a Purer Ruckman

Which part of "free agent" don't you understand?

Of course there's a hundred other players we could consider trading for, but Cameron and Treloar are not free agents and will not for a considerable time yet (8 year qualification period).

So maybe we should ignore your post instead.:p
In recent years we've seen players poached from outside free agency. It's time we were on the pro active end of one of these.
Let's not have tunnel vision goggles on and just go for the "free agents" which in today's game mean hardly anything.

J.Cameron is a must.
Treloar or Dangerfield to the midfeild.

Forget all this Rance rubbish, he gets slaughtered by Cloke.

It's time to play finals in 2016 Cameron Treloar or Dangerfield are my targets to get there again.

One Patrick Dangerfield please.

Despite being a Geelong supporter he idolized Bucks growing up, playing under him could be a drawing card, and if we rise up the ladder this year as our youth come of age and Geelong fall as their older blokes finally slow down, I reckon we're a big shot.

Also, the mental image of these two blokes streaming through the middle of the MCG....
82149_f28427c336325c069482beb7e736f08b.jpg

Nathan+Freeman+AFL+U18+Championship+Rd+5+oUYC5OZdbl9l.jpg

I would die a happy man.....

We already had a Big Crack last Off-Season but I still have Geelong as Red Hot Favourites IF he leaves the Crows

Pies, Hawks and Cats are the teams putting in a fair bit of effort into getting danger already apparently.
If he goes to Hawthorn and they win the flag this year you could nearly pencil in 4 flags in a row, which is remarkable considering we beat them and we were even with them in 2011.

If he goes to Hawthorn and they win the flag this year you could nearly pencil in 4 flags in a row, which is remarkable considering we beat them and we were even with them in 2011.
I really hope you get up the courage one day to finally tell Hawthorn how you feel about them. You never know, they might even love you back!

In recent years we've seen players poached from outside free agency. It's time we were on the pro active end of one of these.
Let's not have tunnel vision goggles on and just go for the "free agents" which in today's game mean hardly anything.

J.Cameron is a must.
Treloar or Dangerfield to the midfeild.

Forget all this Rance rubbish, he gets slaughtered by Cloke.

It's time to play finals in 2016 Cameron Treloar or Dangerfield are my targets to get there again.

For once I agree with you!
Forget the "free agency" stuff and look at players we can poach....other clubs have, time for us to get our share. Cameron is the obvious target and we should go hell for leather at him.
You can forget Patrick coming to Collingwood. He'll have his sights set on getting home to the coast, where he and Mardi can start building their own family. Geelong will chuck everything at him too....(except Hawkins) so expect some fallout there....maybe we can grab Stevie J or Jimmy Bartel !!
Hawkins will be stitched up by the cats before they make their pitch at Patrick....so he's not really available. Sloane would be a great get but please stop ranking Rance as a great defender. He's an over sized HBF and yes Cloke always "rag dolls" him.
So in order my preferences would be:
1. Cameron
2. Sloane
3. Stevie J or Bartel.

For once I agree with you!
Forget the "free agency" stuff and look at players we can poach....other clubs have, time for us to get our share. Cameron is the obvious target and we should go hell for leather at him.
You can forget Patrick coming to Collingwood. He'll have his sights set on getting home to the coast, where he and Mardi can start building their own family. Geelong will chuck everything at him too....(except Hawkins) so expect some fallout there....maybe we can grab Stevie J or Jimmy Bartel !!
Hawkins will be stitched up by the cats before they make their pitch at Patrick....so he's not really available. Sloane would be a great get but please stop ranking Rance as a great defender. He's an over sized HBF and yes Cloke always "rag dolls" him.
So in order my preferences would be:
1. Cameron
2. Sloane
3. Stevie J or Bartel.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is saying Danger is a shoe in for Geelong. Despite the fact he is born there and grew up there, I hardly see a good reason as to why he would want to. The list is well and truely on the decline, by the time his first season begun Stevie J, Bartel, Mackie, Mcintosh, Taylor, Enright, Stokes, Rivers and Kelly are well and truely in their 30s and there is a chance only Harry Taylor (who would be 30) would be playing football, if playing at all. That's half of their starting 18 which (apart from Stokes) are vital to Geelongs success. Their kids are hardly promising. For pure footballing reasons I don't see why he would want to go there.

It's not like we're talking a Beams factor here where he was born in Brisbane and the coast is a massive drive, you can get to Geelong in an hour from the city of Melbourne, it's not huge travel, not long enough to make a career defining decision. I would take 10 other lists before Geelongs. If he wants success, I really don't think Geelong is the place to be. Obviously a lot can change in a year but based on their 2014 it's only a slowly progressing downhill.

I wouldn't want to pay the reported figure he would want, but just putting out another view that I don't think Geelong is in a 1 horse race.

I honestly don't understand why everyone is saying Danger is a shoe in for Geelong. Despite the fact he is born there and grew up there, I hardly see a good reason as to why he would want to. The list is well and truely on the decline, by the time his first season begun Stevie J, Bartel, Mackie, Mcintosh, Taylor, Enright, Stokes, Rivers and Kelly are well and truely in their 30s and there is a chance only Harry Taylor (who would be 30) would be playing football, if playing at all. That's half of their starting 18 which (apart from Stokes) are vital to Geelongs success. Their kids are hardly promising. For pure footballing reasons I don't see why he would want to go there.

It's not like we're talking a Beams factor here where he was born in Brisbane and the coast is a massive drive, you can get to Geelong in an hour from the city of Melbourne, it's not huge travel, not long enough to make a career defining decision. I would take 10 other lists before Geelongs. If he wants success, I really don't think Geelong is the place to be. Obviously a lot can change in a year but based on their 2014 it's only a slowly progressing downhill.

I wouldn't want to pay the reported figure he would want, but just putting out another view that I don't think Geelong is in a 1 horse race.

Sorry Ketch but if you don't get it...then we can't make it any simpler for you. Patrick is a home bod (probably even stronger than Beamer was) and now that the captaincy "carrot" isn't on offer at the Crows, BIG money will be thrown his way and he will try and get back to the coast. He and Mardi will want to settle soon and they both want to live down here so as the nearest option to Moggs.... Geelong will be his aim.

Sorry Ketch but if you don't get it...then we can't make it any simpler for you. Patrick is a home bod (probably even stronger than Beamer was) and now that the captaincy "carrot" isn't on offer at the Crows, BIG money will be thrown his way and he will try and get back to the coast. He and Mardi will want to settle soon and they both want to live down here so as the nearest option to Moggs.... Geelong will be his aim.
Just putting an idea out there, not that I don't get it. I don't really want him* so it wouldn't worry me. I don't see how someone can make a life decision based on a 1 hour drive though. Thats got nothing to do with being football related, its a career decision, something we all make at some point in our life.

Back