Which Premiership meant the most to you?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was to young for 1990, so that's out by default sadly.

It's tough to split as both have their great memories that mean the most to me.

For 2023 I was there at the MCG and it was the single most greatest day of my life.

Even though I wasn't at the MCG in 2010 it was the last Grand Final we were in before my dad passed away and whilst I didn't watch the replay with him I can still remember the phone call with him after the game and presentations finished. He was in tears. A memory I'll never forget.
Awesome mate. God Bless you and your family. Things like that, they're priceless. Good stuff.

Darcy Moore - What a ******* captain

1990 with zero doubt.

After living through the 70's and 80's, constantly being in Grand Finals but finding ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, 1990 was the first Collingwood Premiership I'd seen and it remains the one that means the most.
I went through the misery and agony of the 60's 70's and early 80's and I thought a flag would be the most thrilling, surreal experience of my life. Strangely, due to a number of factors it felt a little flat and brought to mind that old song. "Is That All There Is?" came to mind.

Why?

Some reasons are quite superficial, yet they mattered. We (my wife and I) were surrounded by neutrals who had come to sip champers and talk about their holiday plans while the game was in progress.

We were seated in the roofless southern stand which robbed the whole grandstand of its usual cacophony of noise as the cheering was simply swept away on the wind which was very strong that day.

It was a scrappy, stop start game for most of the day with very little flow and this made it harder for the crowd to get to a fever pitch.

The last quarter was almost a scoreless one until Barwick and then Monkey sealed the deal.

When the siren sounded I felt removed from the celebrations on the field and it was only later that night at Vic Park that the reality began to sink in.

I felt privately disappointed after decades of dreaming about just such a day. The lead up finals had been thrilling and pulsating. 2011 was very good. 2018 would have been incredibly emotional as I sat with my son and it would have been a just reward for one of our favourite sons.

But along came Fly. His two seasons as coach have given me all of the goosebumps. tears and elation I had hoped to experience in 1990. 2023 will forever be my dream year as a Pies fan. :):collingwood:

I went through the misery and agony of the 60's 70's and early 80's and I thought a flag would be the most thrilling, surreal experience of my life. Strangely, due to a number of factors it felt a little flat and brought to mind that old song. "Is That All There Is?" came to mind.

Why?

Some reasons are quite superficial, yet they mattered. We (my wife and I) were surrounded by neutrals who had come to sip champers and talk about their holiday plans while the game was in progress.

We were seated in the roofless southern stand which robbed the whole grandstand of its usual cacophony of noise as the cheering was simply swept away on the wind which was very strong that day.

It was a scrappy, stop start game for most of the day with very little flow and this made it harder for the crowd to get to a fever pitch.

The last quarter was almost a scoreless one until Barwick and then Monkey sealed the deal.

When the siren sounded I felt removed from the celebrations on the field and it was only later that night at Vic Park that the reality began to sink in.

I felt privately disappointed after decades of dreaming about just such a day. The lead up finals had been thrilling and pulsating. 2011 was very good. 2018 would have been incredibly emotional as I sat with my son and it would have been a just reward for one of our favourite sons.

But along came Fly. His two seasons as coach have given me all of the goosebumps. tears and elation I had hoped to experience in 1990. 2023 will forever be my dream year as a Pies fan. :):collingwood:
:collingwood::collingwood::collingwood:

Would like to say everyone of the three l have seen, but 1990 takes it by far.
First one, lived through the heart aches From 66 onwards
Best day ever

2023 means the most to me. It’s an unforgettable experience that will stay with me forever.
  • We won our first Grand Final in September after 65 years.
  • We levelled up the Premierahip tally after more than 40 years of being behind Carlton and Essendon.
  • We won our closest Grand Final since 1903.
  • It evaporated the pain we experienced in 2018 and gave the boys who played in that Grand Final a path to redemption.
I attended everything you could from the open training session, the GF Parade, the match itself, and the celebrations both in the evening of the GF and the day after at Olympic Park.

The level of satisfaction and contentment I derive from 2023 is something I will cherish.

I was 16 in 2010. It was enjoyable, but as others noted it was slightly diluted by having to comeback and win the Replay. I was also at an age where I took it for granted and assumed we would dominate for years to come.

1990, we had been horrid in grand finals when I was a kid. 2010 was good but Malty was sour even on the day and there are players in that team I never really warmed to. This year culminates the Fly ride and is full of great storylines. We got one of our Lions losses back and some of the players like Jamie and Howie who have done it tough go their flag, while Steele and Pendles got 1 after a long break. Our club looks to have good culture and we won with some humility.

1990, we had been horrid in grand finals when I was a kid. 2010 was good but Malty was sour even on the day and there are players in that team I never really warmed to. This year culminates the Fly ride and is full of great storylines. We got one of our Lions losses back and some of the players like Jamie and Howie who have done it tough go their flag, while Steele and Pendles got 1 after a long break. Our club looks to have good culture and we won with some humility.
Malthouse was definitely another negative. It's not good when you have no time for your team's coach. And he looked sour and sooky the day we won the flag. ( I know why but he could have sucked it up for the sake of the fans and team). I feel far more connected to the players in 2023. There were some in 2010 I felt could not give a stuff about the fans and saw them more as a nuisance or something you had to endure. Trav Cloke comes to mind.

2023. The whole thing. The actual GF, the year, the coach, the culture, the Naicos. :hearteyes:
Love all of that.

Just on a different note, how good was the kid's poise under pressure when he went one way then the other then delivered that inch perfect kick into the arms of another Pie at the end of the game against GWS? Most other players would have shat themselves under pressure. Naicos was cool as a cucumber under pressure after missing all that footy, and sealed the deal for us and nailed in that final dagger into GWS's coffin.

Sub.Lime.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love all of that.

Just on a different note, how good was the kid's poise under pressure when he went one way then the other then delivered that inch perfect kick into the arms of another Pie at the end of the game against GWS? Most other players would have shat themselves under pressure. Naicos was cool as a cucumber under pressure after missing all that footy, and sealed the deal for us and nailed in that final dagger into GWS's coffin.

Sub.Lime.
Fly mentioed he said that to Nick. Only a handful of players in the comp could do that.

I'm lucky enough to have been there at all 3 AFL era flags and each time sitting with my Dad.

I was 12 in 1990 and managed to get a ticket to my first GF and it was an incredible experience - but that flag didn't belong to me, it belonged to my Dad who had been in attendance at every one of the losing GFs post 1958 and who was one of those present who were so scarred from previous events they couldn't bring themselves to celebrate until right at the very end.

2010 felt more like it belonged to me, particularly because it came at a time when my partner was more than 8 months pregnant and I was about to start a whole new life chapter. I was relatively relaxed about the prospect of the baby coming early and causing me to miss the GF as I figured it was a touch too early for that - and then the draw happened and I became convinced that it was a cosmic set up that would see my daughter arrive during the replay. Luckily that did not occur.

In 2018 my Dad took the GF loss hard and I remembered him saying that at his age you start to wonder if you'll see any more premierships at all.

So for that and many other reasons 2023 has felt like it's all about both my Dad and me.

The whole theme of the premiership was parents and children. Our best player was a father/son pick, the Copeland Trophy was won by his brother, the coach's wife gave birth on GF day and to cap it off the premiership cup was handed to our captain by his champion father. I can't tell you what it felt like to still be there alongside my Dad (who is now approaching 80) and witnessing all this.

I made sure when the cup went on tour that we both went to the AIA Centre to get a photo of the two of us with our hands on the trophy.

I'd like to think my Dad will be around for quite a while yet, and also that the Pies will have multiple flags in that time, but the reality on both fronts is that you don't know. This flag will forever mean everything to me.

I really, really, really need to know.
Who didn’t you warm to in 2010?

I'm lucky enough to have been there at all 3 AFL era flags and each time sitting with my Dad.

I was 12 in 1990 and managed to get a ticket to my first GF and it was an incredible experience - but that flag didn't belong to me, it belonged to my Dad who had been in attendance at every one of the losing GFs post 1958 and who was one of those present who were so scarred from previous events they couldn't bring themselves to celebrate until right at the very end.

2010 felt more like it belonged to me, particularly because it came at a time when my partner was more than 8 months pregnant and I was about to start a whole new life chapter. I was relatively relaxed about the prospect of the baby coming early and causing me to miss the GF as I figured it was a touch too early for that - and then the draw happened and I became convinced that it was a cosmic set up that would see my daughter arrive during the replay. Luckily that did not occur.

In 2018 my Dad took the GF loss hard and I remembered him saying that at his age you start to wonder if you'll see any more premierships at all.

So for that and many other reasons 2023 has felt like it's all about both my Dad and me.

The whole theme of the premiership was parents and children. Our best player was a father/son pick, the Copeland Trophy was won by his brother, the coach's wife gave birth on GF day and to cap it off the premiership cup was handed to our captain by his champion father. I can't tell you what it felt like to still be there alongside my Dad (who is now approaching 80) and witnessing all this.

I made sure when the cup went on tour that we both went to the AIA Centre to get a photo of the two of us with our hands on the trophy.

I'd like to think my Dad will be around for quite a while yet, and also that the Pies will have multiple flags in that time, but the reality on both fronts is that you don't know. This flag will forever mean everything to me.
AWESOME!!!

I think it was 2023.

Alot went wrong in my personal life last year, then Collingwood came in clutch with the save.
Good stuff mate. I'm glad The Pies gave you a hit of Positivity!!!

I had that in 2022. So I know how you feel. Then to be there the next year and have the Pies win and be completely up myself, Amazing.

I hope you can reign supreme in your life, just as the Pies did and are doing still right now. Good stuff mate.

1990 beyond all doubt. After all too many heartbreaking gf losses and finally managing to bury Coll E Wobbles made it that much more satisfying. For the first time in my life we were Premiers!

1930. Definitely 1930. The Depression was hard times. Ate a lot of rabbit, stringy, almost as stringy as I was.

No wireless of my own, but we hankered round listening to the butcher's wireless set. He was Collingwood, said he'd give us half off any cut we wanted if the black and white got up.

Thought I was destined to starve at halftime. Jock wasn't coaching that day and Geelong had the run of it.

But there were lots of toothless smiles in the 3rd quarter! We shook off the hard times. Coventry was a prince.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Besides that:

1. 1990
2. 2010
3. 2023

Anything I post is meaningless after reading this work of sheer artistry.

Nonetheless, 2010 for me. 1990 came fairly early, and while I appreciated it beyond measure, I didn’t have the scars of those who’d suffered through the 70’s.

2002 and 2003 were my trials to endure. 2006 was another missed opportunity. All it would have taken was a fit Fraser.

So 2010 was the hard-earnt redemption for all of that, and even then we had to endure an additional week of purgatory, after initially failing to put away a Saints outfit we all suspected we were superior to. When the Librarian snuck up on Riewoldt, I knew it was finally going to come together for the black and white.

2023 was amazing too, in it’s own way, and went some way to also making up for 2002 and 2003, as well as 2011 and 2018. The game itself was simultaneously incredible and torturous, given the quality of play and yet the wastefulness in front of goal. You couldn’t be certain until there were 10 seconds left, and it will rightfully go down as an all-time classic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back