Who have you been most wrong about?

Remove this Banner Ad

I was wrong about Taylor Adams. I always saw him as Collingwood through and through but the fact that he saw, what he thought was, the writing on the wall, I thought he would have stayed to fight for his spot. I get the feeling that he was told that his spot wasn't guaranteed. I also believe that he had made his decision long before it was announced.

Ian McOrist, 6 goals on debut in 1972 at The Junction Oval...
I was 12 years old and thought we'd found another goal kicking machine...
I don't think he played another season...

Brad plain...thought he would be a gun.

Damien Houlihan ditto.

I think in the end Chris mayne proved us all wrong
Damian Adkins
Damian Houlihan
Athas Hrysoulakis
Terry Keays
Heath Shepherd
Aaron James
Tristen Walker
Shannon Cox
Chris Egan
Etc...

Are you thinking about orval
No -he's correct. Ian McOrist played one season, 1972. Kicked 6 goals from the forward flank in his first full game (he came on off the bench for his first game the week before). Looked a lot like the infamous Ted Hopkins. Played a few games in the two's in '73, then went back to Northcote. I also saw his 6 goal game v the Roy's at Junction Oval. It obviously made an impression on me!

Kayle Kirby

If we’re doing players whose careers were derailed by health problems; Tommy Hunter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mine is the ultimate. When I first saw him, I watched Pendlebury get caught from behind a couple of times and said he was too slow and wouldn't make it. I also watched Dane Swan in his early days on the back line and didn't think he was good enough either. I don't think anyone can top those as bad judgements. I am much slower to decide these days.
Umm........I saw Peter Moore's first game in the Collingwood Reserves at Vic Park. A couple of us were laughing and saying he looked like a awkward, hopeless prancing pony. Think we got that slightly wrong.

I thought T brown could be his dad reincarnated and I thought J Daicos must have been adopted, was a spud and getting a game on name only. Wrong on both counts.

Last edited:
Another for me was "Charlie" Manson. When I first saw him out at Waverley playing in the ressies I was stunned. He looked like he'd struggle to get a game with Mooroolbark ressies. He lumbered around and marked okay, but that ridiculous unco-ordinated kicking action looked like something out of a Monty Python silly walk skit.

His success truly amazed me when I think back to that day. A great career and premiership player.

Thought they'd make it and star:
Damien Adkins, Craig Jacotine, Mark Orchard, Lee Walker, Tom Davidson, Aaron James, Beams Mk II, Brayden Sier, Elijah Edwards :)))

Thought they'd never make it:
Murphy, Maxwell, Presti, Maynard, Toovey

I thought Ryan Lonie was going to be a 200 game player.

I was spewing we didn’t take Darcy Fogarty over Stephenson. Then happy. Now spewing again

Josh Daicos.

Thought the Brown brothers would stay on the list longer. Now he is a Copeland trophy winner in a premiership season.

I’m sorry, Josh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back