Who Would You Prefer To Avoid In Our 1st Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointed in the thread title change.

As for the question, it makes no difference who we play. It’s where we play that counts.

Qualifying final at the MCG and we are in the box seat for the flag.

Agree with this largely.

My Wishlist is….

1. Collingwood finish first….and port and Brisbane are second and third. That increases our chances (if we win the qf) a home state prelim and gf…
2. There are teams I’d prefer to play and others I’d rather avoid in the QF. The easiest opponent we might draw are Essendon or StKilda, and I reckon despite two close wins we have the crows covered too. I’d prefer to avoid geelon* and Melbourne as they are wild card teams. Indifferent to to Dogs, and anybody else I forgot to mention.

Why are you worried about Carlton??
I don’t share the concerns nor COD’s logic, but we’ll find out about the Blues this week. IMO, their system will stack up in finals if they can get their outside game going. Personally the past month has been fools gold and they need a scalp so this one v Port is the real test. Win it and I think they’re a good shout to get there with their run home.

This post is on the assumption we finish top 2.

For me its probably going to play out like last year. Where we play a critically important final Week 1 for the right to avoid a Port/Brisbane interstate prelim. In which case I would ideally like to avoid Melbourne. They have a team with a core that have won big finals in recent times. Would prefer to see someone else scrape into 3rd/4th.

The reality is not every premiership team gets a 'soft' run of 2022 Brisbane and Sydney in the PF and GF like Geelong did last year though. But they earned that through winning a tough final week 1. The premiership is going to be very difficult to win if we lose the qualifying final. So my main wish is to get a match up that gives us the best chance of winning that game. Which I don't think Melbourne is that club.

You just play whoever is next, if you start worrying about who that is you get way too far ahead of yourself.

Every team is a risk, play our best and it should take care of itself.
100% correct focus on what is not what may be,we have to finish off as highest position possible and aim to be best on final day of the season and history has shown we often are not.

We have make sure we have as many fit and firing players as possible, the players with run in their legs usually win and I do not expect that to change this year.

Well we don't really get a say. Happy to back our mob vs anyone because they don't seem to take anyone for granted.

If we get a soft run like Geelong last year (Richmond's fadeout, Melbourne falling over themselves to lose) it would be a soft win. The most enjoyable would be to win 3 Finals by less than 2 goals for a hard fought classic premiership.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I liked the old thread title better.

We can beat anyone anywhere. But Port away at Port would be our worst case scenario.

Dees beat us on MCG and Lions beat us at the Gabba. Them and Port are great teams that'll need our best to beat come finals.

Pleasing thing this season is that we've built on last season. The close one from behind wins of 2022 weren't an aberration. It indicated we'd learned the game plan and had great belief in our ability to win (play the minutes). This season we've put it all together more frequently resulting in more dominant wins.

Stay healthy, get our combinations forward, mid and back right and I believe we can go two steps further this season, prelim and GF win.

But..... 2018 is in the back of my mind 😨

Ideally Port finish 3rd and Brisbane 2nd.

Brisbane knock off Port in week one at the Gabba, we beat Port at the MCG in the prelim and then exact a measure of revenge against Brisbane in the GF.

Daniher will no doubt pull 5 goals out of his arse, but the rest of them are so bewildered by the lack of “Let It Go” blaring from the speakers, they drop their bundle.

Some interesting answers here

People forgetting the finals history of this club.

44 GF for 15 flags

Lost by under a goal in 2022, 2019, 2007 prelims

Finished top in 2011… gone blown out in the last in the GF

As I’ve said before… the close games we win need to be by 12-18 points, not under a goal… or we’ll get bundled out like we did last year

44 GF for 15 flags

As I’ve said before… the close games we win need to be by 12-18 points, not under a goal… or we’ll get bundled out like we did last year
Past performance may not be indicative of future results.
Brought to you by leon123​

44 GF for 15 flags

At least most other people answered the question……

Bring anyone on. Not avoiding any team this year.
By the end of the H&A season, we will have taken the best that every side has. All teams seam to be playing their GF against us and we are stilol on top. Add to that the fact that we are just getting all our players back and we still haven't peaked yet and I can see us destroying sides in the finals and winning the big one

Remove this Banner Ad

Back