What questions do our team still need to answer ahead of finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

I certainly don't see us as the standout team that the media in general does. Man for man, we have many weaknesses compared to other sides. We have a system that beats most of them but it is very taxing on players and can't be sustained for 4 quarters. Exiting from full back is often a problem that our system only solves some of the time. Finals are always a step up in pressure and it is added pressure that has caused us problems this year.
We have a good team and a good chance for the year, but we are no certainties.
i think you have a point.

I’d like to us explore different options to counter a hard Nick Daicos tag. Obviously he can play half back, but I’d to see him start inside forward 50 at times over the next month. It something that worked extremely well for the tuggers and Martin.

His old man did ok as a forward too.

I am hoping Fly is saving that for finals.

My big concern is that we are reliant on JDG. He missed against Melbourne and was ok against Carlton and we were mauled by Viney/Cripps.

My big concern is that we are reliant on JDG. He missed against Melbourne and was ok against Carlton and we were mauled by Viney/Cripps.
We played tired as did Port after a finals type game played in the wet.
Both teams losing this week wasn't a big surprise.
I should have remembered this before doing my tipping. I did tip Adelaide though.

Last edited:
Three big things for me.

1. We have laid our foundation. We finish top or top 2 at worst. From there its a pretty even go between the top 4. We may be slight favs but I think the 3rd and 4th team are the most talented and dangerous. Trick now is to regain our early season mojo and come into the finals performing. Given the top 4 start pretty much level in the current system, especially since the finals bye, the coaching group needs to get us back humming. The team who can get their form up for Sept wins not the team who has been best through the year.

2. Our biggest weakness is we lack a bit of potency around goal kicking. Checkers has been our best forward for a number of years and was career best early this year but has dropped off, similar to last year. At his age the season and style he plays is tough. Hope the coaches have a way of freshening him up. Need AJ back to as apart from Miho and Jamie we lack players who threaten to kick a few on a regular basis

3. Mids. Our old and young. Pendles, Mitchell, ND, Sidey all need plenty of planning to nurse them though next few weeks with a plan to have them refreshed for the finals. Managing an aged 22 to be up and about for finals should be front and centre for our fitness staff. JDG needs to be the backbone of the midfield in the finals. Too much to ask ND to be that player in a 2nd year. Get this right and we are a great flag chance.

Last edited:
I think we need Frampton in the side.
AJ gives us the x-factor to win a GF.
Can Ginni make it back - if so, who does he replace?
Who is best sub? Oleg / WHE / Other?

Mauled by Cripps??

I must have missed that bit. JDG had the better of him but just had a wobbly boot on. Cripps wasn't anywhere near his best on Friday night.

We need 3 things, Frampton, ginni and AJ to come into the side to give us versatility and scoreboard pressure. IDGAF who comes out anymore.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need 3 things, Frampton, ginni and AJ to come into the side to give us versatility and scoreboard pressure. IDGAF who comes out anymore.
Think AJ is the one who makes most difference. Hill also. I like Ginni but Hill comes in before him. Can see Ginni for Lippa as possible. I am not sure the edges of the 22 is where the difference will be though. We need to get the players who made us look so good earlier in the season to get back. ND, Pendles, Sidey, Miho, Jamie and Mitchell all need careful management from our fitness team.

Interesting was we played the 2nd most experienced team by age/games anyone has put out in 2023 on Friday. 28yr 1 month and 147 games (compared to Carl 25 yr 11 month and 86 games). Only Geelong in round 4 has been older. Like the way Geelong have managed their older team we need to find the formula that keeps these guys up for September. Geel GF side last year had 10 players in their 30's. If we took the same team into the GF we played on Friday we would have 9 with Crisp turning 30 4 days after the Granny. We are a very mature 22 and that needs to be factored in to our prep.

How to win more clearances. End of thread.
This is a biggie + How do we solve our kick ins and make this a weapon, we seem to not clear it compared to other teams, starts with someone with accuracy & penetration (it ain't Moore or Howe)

The other is and noticeable on the weekend, some of the teams are now standing the mark and putting the pressure back on the kicker. GC & Melb were the most notable.

Back off the mark like we do 100% of the time gives the kicker space and time, the chip kick is how they have worked us out, we need to stop that!!!

I don't think you'll get any of those three. I'm tipping we revert to two talls in defence to increase our ability to run it out of there and Howe gets a chance to see if those goals weren't a fluke.

I don't think you'll get any of those three. I'm tipping we revert to two talls in defence to increase our ability to run it out of there and Howe gets a chance to see if those goals weren't a fluke.
If we get 2 talls in defence wont that be Frampton?

If we get 2 talls in defence wont that be Frampton?
I'm calling Murphy a tall. I think/hope that we decide that's enough with Bruzzy to assist (like we had for a big chunk of the season) and we play neither Howe or Frampton down back. As I think teams will continue to go small against us like Carlton did to try to stop us running it out. Plus if Howe rather Johnson is the third tall forward, we've got the option to swing him back and swing WHE to tall forward.

Last edited:
As strange as it sounds being at full strength can work against us as it brings a false sense of security.
Not that I want blokes out

Murphy as 2nd tall is not going to work to work against either the Dees or the Lions, Carlton only had 1 reco tall who is Curnow and he kicked 6 what do we do with teams with more than 1 tall forward.

If we had Frampton for 2nd tall defender and Murphy as an interceptor I do not think Howe forward is the answer either, If Krueger can somehow get through 2 more weeks VFL without incident I would think about bringing him back I know it is 3 mths since he played 1sts but at least most of that time he has played VFL,he is a pack splitter which we need.

As it stands we have 4 more games before the real stuff starts and we need to make some decisions now on where we are going.

I'm calling Murphy a tall. I think/hope that we decide that's enough with Bruzzy to assist (like we had for a big chunk of the season) and we play neither Howe or Frampton down back. As I think teams will continue to go small against us like Carlton did to try to stop us running it out. Plus if Howe rather Johnson is the third tall forward, we've got the option to swing him back and swing WHE to tall forward.
This has our history written all over it. If we are calling Murphy a tall and WHE a tall forward then we are going to lose another GF, if we even get there. We need to free up Moore because this is our best form of attack and we can only do that with a genuine tall defender and that's Frampton. As for the forward line, we need AJ in there, ginni is a bit of a long shot but I would bring him him in this week. Our small defense is being found out as it should when you get to the pointy end of the season. We need a plan B

Horrible to ask this question - but is Jeremy Howe in his current form still in our best team for finals football?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back