Who Would You Prefer To Avoid In Our 1st Final

Remove this Banner Ad

timokane

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Mine is either Melbourne or Geelong week 1 of finals.

They can undo us.

My wish list is either Saints or Lions at the MCG.

Do not think we can beat the Dees or cats in the finals.

Hope we play if we get there Port in the GF.

They can undo us.

It's ok my friend. We can beat any of these campaigners.
The secret is a top 2 finish and we are sweet.

They can undo us.

If we can't beat Geelong or Melbourne in week 1 then we don't deserve to win the flag

I agree with both of those. I am wary of Geelong, and I think Melbourne are strong too.

Having said that, I think Port and Brisbane would be tough too, even at the G. They both have big talls, which we struggle to contain a little bit. Port also have a good inside midfield, which we get beaten in comfortably when we lose games / periods.

I don't think we have played a consistently good 4 quarters all year to be honest, and against the better teams, this will be our undoing. Our inability to stop the opposition from putting on 4, 5, 6+ goals with no answer or only one answer from us is worrying.

I think we’ve lost two whole games in the last 12 months at the MCG,by six points and four points no less.So I don’t think we have anyone to fear at the MCG.That’s why it’s essential we get a top two spot and don’t have to play either the Lions or Port away in the first week of the finals,

I don't think we have played a consistently good 4 quarters all year to be honest, and against the better teams, this will be our undoing. Our inability to stop the opposition from putting on 4, 5, 6+ goals with no answer or only one answer from us is worrying.
I hope we're building toward 3 x four quarter performances in September. It's what we need to lift the cup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong worry me especially if they finished 4th would mean they'd be in ripping form.
Their forward line is dynamite on its day.
Bring on the rest, we've got them all covered.
We have more in us and will probably need to hit top gear for a flag.
Most years the premier is obvious in hindsight. Just look at whos best is the best.
I think its us.

They can undo us.

Really? I thought I was a nervous nelly! Nothing is guaranteed and I think the Power, Lions, Melbourne and Geelong could all worry us. Even Essendon have been worryingly competitive even when we have been on top and they are struggling. But Melbourne has beaten us once by four points in the past seven games we have played. We had important personnel missing as well as a flu that went through the club that week.

Chris Scott needs to shut his trap and concentrate on qualifying before telling us all how dangerous his team is, a team we comfortably defeated on a night when they were flying and could not miss a shot on goal. The Lions will be tough but are a different proposition on the G. We flogged Port by 12 goals early this year,

As Walter White once said,

"I am the man who knocks!" Collingwood is the team who others should worry about as we are the top team.

I agree with both of those. I am wary of Geelong, and I think Melbourne are strong too.

Having said that, I think Port and Brisbane would be tough too, even at the G. They both have big talls, which we struggle to contain a little bit. Port also have a good inside midfield, which we get beaten in comfortably when we lose games / periods.

They can worry about us. We have won 26 of our last 29 home and away games.

More interestingly, what is our ideal top4 /finals path, assuming results go as they should?

As it stands we would have
Wk 1 Dees MCG
Wk 3 Bris MCG
Wk 4 Port MCG

I think this would be ideal.

My rationale:
Im most worried about Brisbane, so i think its best to play them in a PF after they have had to travel for the second time. I think they are the only team I think could beat us in a GF on thier day. I dont buy this MCG hoodoo, GF day all bets are off and they've played finals for many years now.

I've no doubt we would take port when it counts, but Id prefer not to play them wk1 of finals (which is unlikely anyway). Im not worried about Dees or geelong at all.

Finishing top 2 is the key to our chances.

That said with all the footy I’ve watched in 2023 and at the MCG in front of 90k + the only team that would bother me in the first 3 weeks of the finals is Essendon. The crowds a non factor against them and if they stay healthy they’ll have added Merrett and Wright since we last played.

Teams like Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Port, Geelong etc. are probably better overall, but there are factors at play that separate us. If Essendon manage to get a win in the first week of the finals the momentum they’ll get will be incredible and I’d hate to come up against them on PF day.

Brisbane. They are the most talented opposition. If they work out how to play well at the MCG, then they will be hard to stop.
‘Elite mids in Neale & McCluggage with Ashcroft growing into his role weekly. Bailey handy as well.
‘Key forwards of Daniher & Hipwood & have probably the best small forward in the game in Charlie Cameron. Throw Rayner & you have a very dangerous forward line. Gunston is a handy addition when in form.
‘Backline has Andrew’s & Payne who are rarely beaten as key tall defenders. Starcevich & McKenna 2 pretty handy small defenders as well. Even leaving Rich out.
Having said that, we should fear nobody if we get home ground advantage. Agree with the top 2 is very important statements.

Disappointed in the thread title change.

As for the question, it makes no difference who we play. It’s where we play that counts.

Qualifying final at the MCG and we are in the box seat for the flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back