Who have you been most wrong about?

Remove this Banner Ad

123 isn’t shabby

He would dominate in the fast game it is today too.

Wrong about: McRae. I love you now Craig, but to be honest I didn't trust you from 02, 03. Also, bloody Clarkson was there to take! It didn't take long of actually seeing his product to be sold though. We were very tough and entertaining in 2022.

DeGoey is a hard one for me. Talent wise, I actually think he is the most talented player I have ever seen in black and white and i was king of his fan club in 2018. But his inability to put it together and those off field mistakes drove me nuts. And now, I love him again and all is right with the world.

Chris Dawes would be my worst rating of a player who then just never improves and becomes the player we were hoping. Dunno what happened to those hands, but they were bricks in the end.

Some good ones here.

I loved Swannie for his cheekyness but didn't think he was a long term prospect, looked to be a shabby shuffler. Very happy I was wrong but I was surprised early on when oppos would say how good he was, thought he was another Freeborn type, gritty rather than brilliant.

I did love Sier, seemed like a human torpedo with great hands, sort of a mixture of Tim Watson and Greg Williams.

I thought Bucks was fated to win a premiership at Collingwood.

Jack Anthony was our next big thing in ‘09 (still not really sure what happened).

Was stoked we brought in Aish.

Wonderful, beautiful Sier…

I thought Bucks was fated to win a premiership at Collingwood.

Jack Anthony was our next big thing in ‘09 (still not really sure what happened).

Was stoked we brought in Aish.

Wonderful, beautiful Sier…
I recall commenting at the time that Jack Anthony’s accuracy in front of goal was exaggerating people’s perceptions of him and he needed to win more ball to have a decent career….But nobody could foresee the rapid decline into oblivion

Dane Swan, can’t get anymore wrong, couldn't see it early, turned out to be in my top 3 all timers.

i was a bit wrong about Jesse White, maybe more hope, saw him do a few special things at Sydney and ………look I was just wrong OK!

Surprised Nick Maxwell hasn’t had more mentions
Bet my Father-in-law Maxwell would be a Collingwood captain after 3 games.
Delivered in spades.
Would have got better odds on "Premiership Captain"
Still owes me his treasured 1990 Magpie Port.

Thought they'd make it and star:
Damien Adkins, Craig Jacotine, Mark Orchard, Lee Walker, Tom Davidson, Aaron James, Beams Mk II, Brayden Sier, Elijah Edwards :)))

Thought they'd never make it:
Murphy, Maxwell, Presti, Maynard, Toovey

Lee Walker scooped the pool in several Best Clubman awards, so not all was lost…

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pendles.

I am ashamed to say that I got this one incredibly wrong and I usually get them right........some may disagree though!

I recall my initial opinion of him from his first season playing VFL was that he was too slow and has no penetration in his kicking. Which for a prime midfielder were not two traits I was hoping for. I was dumbfounded that we spent a 1st rounder on him and thought he was a mistake. I wrote him off.

The shame I feel knows no bounds. What a champion he has become. He is still slow and still can't really kick but somehow he developed everything else in spades, so much so that all his perceived weaknesses have been eclipsed.

Sorry Pendles, I have already given myself 383 lashes for every superb AFL game you have played.

Patrick Karnezis. I thought he possessed something special, and maybe he did, but elite football talent wasn't it.

I was dubious about Greenwood. 'Just a plodder'.

I'm usually right, though.

Can’t genuinely think of any player I’ve been wrong about. That probably says more about me though than about anything else. I tend to back the club and the decisions they make so when I get it wrong it’s because they got it wrong!

Probably grundys long contract is one I’d call out. Critics were saying it was a stupid decision and it took hindsight for me to agree they were right.

I’m sure this isn’t an outrageous Take but I was convinced Cox was completely Finished at the End of 2021. Was 30 years old and was surely not gonna improve, DC had taken his place in the side and we had a young rebuilding list so I was almost certain he was gone.

The way he has revived his career and got a Premership medal is amazing, I think Fly is the only man that could’ve transformed his career.
Whilst I’m sure this isn’t your intent I think Mason probably deserves some credit too for his resilience…

Pretty easy for me… De Goey.

Didn’t think he had the attributes to be the burst midfielder he’s become.

Whilst I’m sure this isn’t your intent I think Mason probably deserves some credit too for his resilience…
Oh yea absolutely. The guy has had to make more sacrifices then most players have had to make. He could’ve easily called it quits a long time ago but he just kept pushing for his place, I think thats what makes his story one of the best ever (Still 2 more years of good stuff coming up for him hopefully!)

I'm not sure they were 'wrong', but looking back I can see that my feelings for Matt Scharenberg bordered upon unwholesome.
After the “Best school footballer in SA since Carey” comments I must admit I got way too excited about him. Even when his body was OK Shaz was a bit vanilla for my liking

After the “Best school footballer in SA since Carey” comments I must admit I got way too excited about him. Even when his body was OK Shaz was a bit vanilla for my liking

He was drafted with a busted foot, and then things cascaded after that. I kept waiting for things to get better, for the poor bloke to get some clear air, but it didn't really happen.

His video showed someone with dash as well as poise. The smarts of Shaz were never an issue.

Seeing him play out his time with some good games in defence was bittersweet.

He was undoubtedly handsome, but sometimes it just isn't enough.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back