Roast The "you were wrong" thread AKA the Caro Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I can’t remember which journo it was, but one of them tweeted after the King‘s Birthday match that our advantage in close games was gone, was dead and buried if it even existed in the first place.

We’re now 17 from 21 in single figure games under McCrae.

I still like Langdon’s ‘all duck and no dinner’ description of us from last year.

And while not directed at us, Chris Scott’s ‘we’re the danger’ from back in July was so scary and threatening…I’m still quaking.

I still like Langdon’s ‘all duck and no dinner’ description of us from last year.

And while not directed at us, Chris Scott’s ‘we’re the danger’ from back in July was so scary and threatening…I’m still quaking.

I knew their season was done very early in the year after they had lost a bunch of games and he talked about winning every remaining game if they needed to lol

We’re the danger was just icing on that cake

WHE played an amazing finals series.
I'll confess my sins, I was well and truly in the drop WHE bandwagon late in the season. Even earlier in the year I wasn't too thrilled about Bobby Hill and wasn't sold on what he could offer us. But I think the beauty of this all is it's all in hindsight. Sure, we were probably justified in our feelings then but those players went out an improved to the point where it kind of makes you look ridiculous thinking back on what we'd said.

I'd love to be proved a fool 100 times if it means winning more flags!

View attachment 1819479

Cya Oli

Next minute. “ Oli Henry declares unfinished business at Collingwood. Seeking return to club with having time at home to grow up “

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The perfect analogy: It's like being behind 2 cars in one of those dual-lane drive thru at Maccas and seeing the other side move up so you shift over to that one only for the line you were originally in to move up 3 spaces and end up getting their food first

Haha Caro. Richmond finishing 2nd. Lol. What drugs was she on that night? Or did she have her thorses mixed up?
Carro always tips Richmond to finish high up on the ladder.Force of habit,I suppose.

I could never understand why so may so called experts tipped us to slide down the ladder this year.We only missed out on the grand final by one point last year,and we added no less than five recruits from other teams,including a Brownlow medalist no less.Was it just bad judgment on their part,or wishful thinking.Who knows?It was probably more of the latter given that many people are absolutely terrified of Collingwood success in general

Last edited:
The perfect analogy: It's like being behind 2 cars in one of those dual-lane drive thru at Maccas and seeing the other side move up so you shift over to that one only for the line you were originally in to move up 3 spaces and get their food first

He takes the lane whichever one his mum drives him through.

I will put my hand up as getting carried away criticising getting Billy Frampton for 3 years. Love what he bought and that he stepped in at important times. I may be right that he will never be best 22 but he was a great get. Loveya Billy

Will flip to the other side and say I said early Bobby Hill would be the recruit of the 5 guys from other clubs that would be the one who would step up the most. His 1st 4 seasons, even with 2 interruptions, were always tracking like a really good player does and this season he was ready to break out a bit, will go to another level in 24

I recall quite a few people saying that Tom Mitchell was 'cooked'. Let me volunteer on your behalf: you were wrong to doubt Thomas.

It's been a while since my last confession, but let me say that I had some nagging concerns about a certain B. Hill. I didn't want him dropped, and I'm not sure I aired my concerns, but I wondered how long we could 'carry' such a low-impact player.

I'm led to believe that this same B Hill had some impact on Grand Final day.

Yes JB, I too remember a few people declaring Mitchell to be "medium to well done" and going as far as posting that the club's chances of GF success to be low to none.

Strangely, I'm not seeing them around now that the club has won a GF for the ages.

I'm sure they're here sharing joy with everyone else.

It would be piss-poor form to visit this place only when one feels like being "an expert", wouldn't it?

Yes JB, I too remember a few people declaring Mitchell to be "medium to well done" and going as far as posting that the club's chances of GF success to be low to none.

Strangely, I'm not seeing them around now that the club has won a GF for the ages.

I'm sure they're here sharing joy with everyone else.

It would be piss-poor form to visit this place only when one feels like being "an expert", wouldn't it?

Look, I'm not one to question the usefulness of experts, especially the self-declared kind. My life is richer for their contribution, in ways that I don't even understand.

It doesn't matter that they're usually wrong. It's just good to know that, while the rest of us are dumbly sitting around and feeling fantastic about winning our 16th flag, the eggspurts continue to probe the game for its deeper meanings.

Think of all those wayward explanations and prognostications which await us. And we don't even have to pay! They just come onto BF to edjacate us plebs out of the goodness of their own hearts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Say I was wrong about Markov who I thought Main Reason he Joined Collingwood because of his Freindship/Relationship with Macrare and Leppa.

Even during the Season I was 100% sold but came up with some Big and Important Moments in the Finals and does Deserve to be a Premiership Player.

Still don't think he will be around for long time but have a Impact when he can

Look, I'm not one to question the usefulness of experts, especially the self-declared kind. My life is richer for their contribution, in ways that I don't even understand.

It doesn't matter that they're usually wrong. It's just good to know that, while the rest of us are dumbly sitting around and feeling fantastic about winning our 16th flag, the eggspurts continue to probe the game for its deeper meanings.

Think of all those wayward explanations and prognostications which await us. And we don't even have to pay! They just come onto BF to edjacate us plebs out of the goodness of their own hearts.
I am especially grateful for the analysts who take themselves too seriously to have a laugh at their own expense.

For instance, if I was to have made a claim that Mitchell's career was finished and that he was gone in the legs. Well, after that has been shown to be a horrible take, I'd like to think I could own it with some self-deprecation.

My biggest mistake was writing off Josh Daicos a few years ago, never been so wrong on a player before. I will have to live with the fact he is an All Australian premiership Magpie... wait I am actually pretty happy about that

My biggest mistake was writing off Josh Daicos a few years ago, never been so wrong on a player before. I will have to live with the fact he is an All Australian premiership Magpie... wait I am actually pretty happy about that

It was interesting hey , from memory a lot of debate of who was better at the time , Daics or Callum Brown

I am especially grateful for the analysts who take themselves too seriously to have a laugh at their own expense.

For instance, if I was to have made a claim that Mitchell's career was finished and that he was gone in the legs. Well, after that has been shown to be a horrible take, I'd like to think I could own it with some self-deprecation.
Or if you made the claim that the Pies can't win it after losing the round 23 game against Brisbane?

Some expert analysts need to regain their reckless courage and join in the celebrations.

I will put my hand up as getting carried away criticising getting Billy Frampton for 3 years. Love what he bought and that he stepped in at important times. I may be right that he will never be best 22 but he was a great get. Loveya Billy

Will flip to the other side and say I said early Bobby Hill would be the recruit of the 5 guys from other clubs that would be the one who would step up the most. His 1st 4 seasons, even with 2 interruptions, were always tracking like a really good player does and this season he was ready to break out a bit, will go to another level in 24
If I dont mind, and at the risk of being a little bit of captain obvious... this post / thought after pre-season training has remained in my mind throughout the year... especially in the last two games. Now the best one-two punch in the game imo...

1696311442401.png
;)

It was also great to see Fly remind Jordan Lewis of his prediction of the Pies missing the 8. 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back