What questions do our team still need to answer ahead of finals?

Remove this Banner Ad

Horrible to ask this question - but is Jeremy Howe in his current form still in our best team for finals football?
Yeah I think so. Think the forward cameo was a nice cameo but still think he, Moore and murphy provide the aerial cover with great mobility that is worthwhile and will be persisted with. Solid but not spectacular since injury return

I'm calling Murphy a tall. I think/hope that we decide that's enough with Bruzzy to assist (like we had for a big chunk of the season) and we play neither Howe or Frampton down back. As I think teams will continue to go small against us like Carlton did to try to stop us running it out. Plus if Howe rather Johnson is the third tall forward, we've got the option to swing him back and swing WHE to tall forward.
Got it. I think Howe will stay back though.

Murphy has been great this year and the back 6 /7 of Moore, Murphy, Maynard, Howe, Quaynor, Noble, Markov is what we persist with. The synergy of a stable back 6 coming into finals is important

Got it. I think Howe will stay back though.

Murphy has been great this year and the back 6 /7 of Moore, Murphy, Maynard, Howe, Quaynor, Noble, Markov is what we persist with. The synergy of a stable back 6 coming into finals is important

My view is that we're not going to win it going down the line - we've got to persist looking for our running chains - teams are going to go small up forward to try to stop us getting them going - they won't go with 3 talls (PA excepted) - by going with one less tall, we'll make it harder to stop our chains. So rather than having Howe play as a third tall and peel off his man to play as an interceptor - let's have Bruzzy play as a third tall and peel off his man as a rebounder.

I don't see what I'm suggesting as bringing about instability - it's the defence that we had for a big chunk of the year.

I'm calling Murphy a tall. I think/hope that we decide that's enough with Bruzzy to assist (like we had for a big chunk of the season) and we play neither Howe or Frampton down back. As I think teams will continue to go small against us like Carlton did to try to stop us running it out. Plus if Howe rather Johnson is the third tall forward, we've got the option to swing him back and swing WHE to tall forward.
I like the idea of Howe as the third tall forward with his primary role being to take the oppo interceptor out of the game, checkers and mcstay aren’t A graders, but they are strong one on one, if Howe can take the interceptor out and they get more one on ones, it’s a win, if he hits the scoreboard too it’s a bonus.

My view is that we're not going to win it going down the line - we've got to persist looking for our running chains - teams are going to go small up forward to try to stop us getting them going - they won't go with 3 talls (PA excepted) - by going with one less tall, we'll make it harder to stop our chains. So rather than having Howe play as a third tall and peel off his man to play as an interceptor - let's have Bruzzy play as a third tall and peel off his man as a rebounder.

I don't see what I'm suggesting as bringing about instability - it's the defence that we had for a big chunk of the year.
I see those as variations on a theme and would be happy with either. Both give strong defensive run and mobility. All those we are discussing are well versed in our defense and would fit in.

I think Howe as a forward is not the way to go though. The one I want to see back in is AJ and with Howe down forward he is no chance. We lack goal kicking flair and strength compared to the others in the top 4. AJ is a developing forward threat and mature enough to play a significant Sept role. This next 4 weeks we should be consolidating the structures planned for Sept , I hope AJ is part of that

Three big things for me.

1. We have laid our foundation. We finish top or top 2 at worst. From there its a pretty even go between the top 4. We may be slight favs but I think the 3rd and 4th team are the most talented and dangerous. Trick now is to regain our early season mojo and come into the finals performing. Given the top 4 start pretty much level in the current system, especially since the finals bye, the coaching group needs to get us back humming. The team who can get their form up for Sept wins not the team who has been best through the year.

2. Our biggest weakness is we lack a bit of potency around goal kicking. Checkers has been our best forward for a number of years and was career best early this year but has dropped off, similar to last year. At his age the season and style he plays is tough. Hope the coaches have a way of freshening him up. Need AJ back to as apart from Miho and Jamie we lack players who threaten to kick a few on a regular basis

3. Mids. Our old and young. Pendles, Mitchell, ND, Sidey all need plenty of planning to nurse them though next few weeks with a plan to have them refreshed for the finals. Managing an aged 22 to be up and about for finals should be front and centre for our fitness staff. JDG needs to be the backbone of the midfield in the finals. Too much to ask ND to be that player in a 2nd year. Get this right and we are a great flag chance.
Agree with your point GC, i'd certainly add ground ball and pressure in our F50. Hill helps in that area but thought we applied below par pressure in that area to hold the ball, create turnover and repeat entry. Partly pace and without doubt too cumbersome. Not sure we take 18 marks inside 50 either.
Need to just rejig the use of Beau to make ground balls more dangerous. Adams also has a role in this when not playing mid minutes.

I think the more pressure a team is putting on the better a game plan looks. Once our pressure rises, we win more contested ball, more clearances, more turnovers, and our ball movement improves and we lock it inside 50 more. Problems solved.
Most coaches are aware of this. So it's probably why now that there were many upsets this week. If you are getting a month or two of exhausting pressure out of the team, now is not the best time to apply it. Except Carlton or GWS fighting to make the 8 have to apply it. Even Essenson or Saints early in the year it wears off. Well every year is full of examples of pressure bursts, and explains why there is the winning phenomenon of a caretaker coaches starting off with wins.
I'm sure just like last year, we will peak it for finals.

I think Howe as a forward is not the way to go though. The one I want to see back in is AJ and with Howe down forward he is no chance. We lack goal kicking flair and strength compared to the others in the top 4. AJ is a developing forward threat and mature enough to play a significant Sept role. This next 4 weeks we should be consolidating the structures planned for Sept , I hope AJ is part of that
I really like Elliott playing deep as a leading forward who also gives us an excellent ground level contest and pressure. So for me our starting forward line is 5 players: Elliott, McStay and Checkers with a couple of pacy smalls, as one of starting 6 pushes into the midfield.

On top of that we need someone for rotations. I'd be giving Howe a couple of weeks to see if he can back up his quarter or whether it was just a fluke. As having him as an option to also chop out in defence or change the balance would be a plus. AJ has played enough that a two week lead in to finals would be good enough if Jezza struggles.

I think the more pressure a team is putting on the better a game plan looks. Once our pressure rises, we win more contested ball, more clearances, more turnovers, and our ball movement improves and we lock it inside 50 more. Problems solved.
Most coaches are aware of this. So it's probably why now that there were many upsets this week. If you are getting a month or two of exhausting pressure out of the team, now is not the best time to apply it. Except Carlton or GWS fighting to make the 8 have to apply it. Even Essenson or Saints early in the year it wears off. Well every year is full of examples of pressure bursts, and explains why there is the winning phenomenon of a caretaker coaches starting off with wins.
I'm sure just like last year, we will peak it for finals.
I also think the top teams might be upping their training loads as their looking to physically peak in finals, rather than on the weekend.

I also think the top teams might be upping their training loads as their looking to physically peak in finals, rather than on the weekend.
True, leading into finals last year, Fly kept mentioning players having year high GPS levels at training or strength PBs in the gym.
I haven't got my head around the logic. Maybe it's a reversal for finals and focus on psychologically reving 23 player up to perform as a cohesive unit.

We are basically 4 -5 weeks out before finals
Missing our best player Naicos if we win 1 of 3 games we consolidate top spot.

Our problem is most teams hunt us we must reverse this trend as quick as possible to be any chance. We must go back to hunting others
Our main deficiancy is PLODDERS IN THE MIDFIELD. Sidey ,Pendles ,Mitchell, Adams all were great players but now they have been found out becuase no speed. Degoey not playing to brutal best lipinski hasn't been the same link man since coming back from injury

Leaves Josh Daicos, Macreey hill and cameo roles from Crispy. Not much in the VFL either to elevate.

MMMM NOT SURE SHAME TO LOSE IT ALL NOW AFTER SUCH A GREAT YEAR OF DOMINANCE ACROSS THE COMPETITION.

But realistically all the teams are saying we are slowing down are we ?
All the other teams competing for the 8 don't you think they'll hit the wall soon too ?
At least we have and still 5 weeks before first finals ,so, who's humming NO ONE

Melbourne ,Port, carlton, stkilda, Geelong, GWS, Bulldogs ALL IN CONSISTANT FORM.
All these teams will need to d=slog it out to consolidate their spots before seasons end and INJURIES AND FURTHER NIGGLES,COMES WITH THAT.

WE DONT WE NEED TO WIN 1 GAME OUT OF 3 TO GET TOP POSSIE

ARE ALL THESE OTHER SUPPORTERS MISSING SOMETHING ???

Yep a smashing at the hands of the pies !!!!!!

Our problem is most teams hunt us we must reverse this trend as quick as possible to be any chance. We must go back to hunting others
Our main deficiancy is PLODDERS IN THE MIDFIELD. Sidey ,Pendles ,Mitchell, Adams all were great players but now they have been found out becuase no speed. Degoey not playing to brutal best lipinski hasn't been the same link man since coming back from injury

Leaves Josh Daicos, Macreey hill and cameo roles from Crispy. Not much in the VFL either to elevate.

MMMM NOT SURE SHAME TO LOSE IT ALL NOW AFTER SUCH A GREAT YEAR OF DOMINANCE ACROSS THE COMPETITION.

All the other teams competing for the 8 don't you think they'll hit the wall soon too ?
At least we have and still 5 weeks before first finals ,so, who's humming NO ONE

Melbourne ,Port, carlton, stkilda, Geelong, GWS, Bulldogs ALL IN CONSISTANT FORM.
All these teams will need to d=slog it out to consolidate their spots before seasons end and INJURIES AND FURTHER NIGGLES,COMES WITH THAT.

Some pretty random shouting thrown in there. I quite liked it.

1 win doesn't guarantee us anything Melbourne and Brisbane would still pass us if they won all 3. Our % would go down and there's would go up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bump

What does our best fiorward line look like?

Cox had a good game in the VFL, Ginni is worth persevering with this week, and Hill, Elliott and Mihocek aren’t getting dropped. Can’t see McStay being dropped for Cox.

What does our best midfield look like?

We’ve been smashed at the centre clearances to varying degrees all year. Pendlebury has been spending a lot of time there lately but it probably makes sense to move him back while Moore is out. Does it make sense to move Adams to more a midfield role?

At the end of the day our game is pressure based, when the pressure is up everything else falls into place.

I cast my mind back 12 months, there were similar question marks around our midfield (clearances, contested footy etc) and we essentially flicked the switch for finals. Yes we lost 2, but both performances were sensational.

With top 2 position all but locked, I’ll back the coaches to have us primed and ready to go for that first final.

Bump

What does our best fiorward line look like?

Cox had a good game in the VFL, Ginni is worth persevering with this week, and Hill, Elliott and Mihocek aren’t getting dropped. Can’t see McStay being dropped for Cox.

What does our best midfield look like?

We’ve been smashed at the centre clearances to varying degrees all year. Pendlebury has been spending a lot of time there lately but it probably makes sense to move him back while Moore is out. Does it make sense to move Adams to more a midfield role?
Our best forward line should include Mihocek, Mcstay, Mcreery, Hill, Elliot and Howe. That set up has pace , marking ability and agility.

It is imperative to not have pace deficiencies on the MCG.

You also need players who can mark up forward or at least threaten, something that Howe is currently adding. Would not include AJ. love his skills but he plays with nearly zero intensity. A finals no-no for me.

Best midfield is a big concern. As David King has correctly pointed out, Pendles in for centre bounces is a massive problem. I would like to see Adams and Mitchell rotated off the bench rather than up forward as our in and under player, with Degoey and N Daicos (hopefully) as our main on ball line up.

I don't think we get much out of either Cameron or Cox as ruckmen. I would like to see Darcy Moore in our first final play as first ruck, changing with McStay as a key forward. I have never rated Darcy as a defender, has too many goals kicked on him. We might as well let the Curnows and Jeremy Cameron's kick their 6 goals on Frampton.

It would allow Darcy to continue to intercept by playing a kick behind the ball but also use his athleticism to be a go to player on the rebound. He would be a nightmare for opposing rucks to man up on. We may lose a little in tap work, which for years has never really done us any favours, but it would mean that we don't need to carry a lumbering ruck in the side. I am sure Darcy would take more marks around the ground than our 2 lumberers, as well as being a good target resting up forward. A favourable outcome playing on the MCG.

I see those as variations on a theme and would be happy with either. Both give strong defensive run and mobility. All those we are discussing are well versed in our defense and would fit in.

I trust Howe up forward but I don't feel the same certainty about AJ. Bugger the future. Right now we want our most reliable players selected for the finals in order to win the flag. Howe has beautiful hands and he is a lovely set shot. Like AJ, he can sit on your head but he is more likely to hang onto the pill than AJ.

If you are still wanting AJ in our finals set up I feel you haven't been watching him closely enough. We can all have bad games but he becomes invisible when the going gets tough.

Our best forward line should include Mihocek, Mcstay, Mcreery, Hill, Elliot and Howe. That set up has pace , marking ability and agility.

It is imperative to not have pace deficiencies on the MCG.

You also need players who can mark up forward or at least threaten, something that Howe is currently adding. Would not include AJ. love his skills but he plays with nearly zero intensity. A finals no-no for me.

Best midfield is a big concern. As David King has correctly pointed out, Pendles in for centre bounces is a massive problem. I would like to see Adams and Mitchell rotated off the bench rather than up forward as our in and under player, with Degoey and N Daicos (hopefully) as our main on ball line up.

I don't think we get much out of either Cameron or Cox as ruckmen. I would like to see Darcy Moore in our first final play as first ruck, changing with McStay as a key forward. I have never rated Darcy as a defender, has too many goals kicked on him. We might as well let the Curnows and Jeremy Cameron's kick their 6 goals on Frampton.

It would allow Darcy to continue to intercept by playing a kick behind the ball but also use his athleticism to be a go to player on the rebound. He would be a nightmare for opposing rucks to man up on. We may lose a little in tap work, which for years has never really done us any favours, but it would mean that we don't need to carry a lumbering ruck in the side. I am sure Darcy would take more marks around the ground than our 2 lumberers, as well as being a good target resting up forward. A favourable outcome playing on the MCG.
It is Darcy's capacity to rebound with pace and quick hands or slicing passes into the corridor which makes him so important in our back half. Frampton is more of an old fashioned defender who punches from behind and goes back over the mark when he takes a mark.

Darcy in the ruck makes me shudder. One knee in the ribs or knee on knee collision and he could be lost. It's not worth the risk and too late for such a dramatic change in the finals in what would be his first game back. Too many dramatic changes give off the stench of panic and unsettles the team.

While watching the Melbourne/Carlton clash I was impressed by the ferocity and intensity of the game but it had me recalling our three finals last year and suddenly I felt a rush of warmth and belief. Our boys were absolute beasts as far as our attack on the pill or player was concerned in those finals with the exception of the first half against Sydney. We were manic. As the Geelong players stated, that qualifying final was the most intense game they had ever played in and those boys have been in countless big finals and home and away clashes in the past decade.

I started to believe again. I think we can switch on that manic mode once again. I watched the first term against Freo in the final, a game I'd largely forgotten about and we were sensational. Bring that pressure and ferocity and we can beat anyone.

While watching the Melbourne/Carlton clash I was impressed by the ferocity and intensity of the game but it had me recalling our three finals last year and suddenly I felt a rush of warmth and belief. Our boys were absolute beasts as far as our attack on the pill or player was concerned in those finals with the exception of the first half against Sydney. We were manic. As the Geelong players stated, that qualifying final was the most intense game they had ever played in and those boys have been in countless big finals and home and away clashes in the past decade.

I started to believe again. I think we can switch on that manic mode once again. I watched the first term against Freo in the final, a game I'd largely forgotten about and we were sensational. Bring that pressure and ferocity and we can beat anyone.

Well ultimately that's the question that needs to be asked then right?

Can we turn "our game" back on?

Can we get back to that running, swarming, pressuring game again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back